JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is American culture a thing?

On 1/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, Barbara Anne said:

I live in Switzerland such a small country but with 4 different languages... We drive 30 minutes and the language changes from French to German

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

We traveled it a few years ago and as a Tourist it was very confusing , going through a Luxemberg we also notice the phone providers kept changing and changing language.

I know little about this apart from an uncle who took his family and emigrated around 30 years ago , the impression I got was perhaps Nationalism was very prevalent in the USA .

As everytime we saw photos of them their home had flags flying from everywhere ( not in the truth) they had been totally apathetic about the UK but were in love with their new home , all three of their sons became Firefighters in New York and their pride of country seemed extremely important.

Perhaps they were just determined to fit in but they definitely loved the Country , Culture and people.

Yes- "pride" is a big part of American culture, imo. Even if there is nothing to be proud of.  Sometimes, the worse it is, the more proud people are. :(  Often to great detriment and closed-mindedness.. 

There is a culture of anti-intellectualism and American exceptionalism that's *always* been part of the United States culture. Perhaps part of the separation from Britain and the rest of "fancy-schmancy" attitudes and backgrounds attributed to elite European ideals? But intellect is not the same as intelligence- it's really about how those qualities are used. In a way, it reminds me of the differences between laws and principles that we as Christians need to constantly mature to grasp. I found this article fascinating. Interestingly, these qualities even effect the United States' dealings with the pandemic 🤔

What is Anti-Intellectualism?

We define American anti-intellectualism today is a social attitude that systematically denigrates science-based facts, authority of the intellectual “elite”, and the pursuit of theory and knowledge.

While anti-intellectualism has eluded a single definition, we employ this description from the oft-cited Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter (1964): “a resentment and suspicion of the life of the mind and of those who are considered to represent it; and a disposition constantly to minimize the value of that life”.

https://www.studioatao.org/post/understanding-anti-intellectualism-in-the-u-s

Solution? Two of the ways...

Rejecting Anti-Intellectualism and Practicing Continuous Change

1. Personally, normalize and accept the idea of not knowing everything and embrace the idea that you should always be learning and growing. If you are able to be excited by the potential of acquiring new knowledge, the existence of different, even contrarian, knowledge can be exciting and interesting.

2. Find comfort in changing your mind when new, sound information is made available to you. Dismiss the notion of being “wrong” as hurtful to your character or social standing; instead, recognize this as adaptive learning so you can make better-informed decisions in the future. (Related, question scenarios or ideas you accept as mutually exclusive, and ask yourself if that is actually the case.)

Humility is a key...

Edited by Hope

100% @Hope I mean that's just a way of life that all people should apply to themselves. From the top to the bottom in society, the congregation, etc. Its true, wit hthe polarisation of people today, and rising sensitivity, just having a different "opinion" to someone is considered an attack on them personally, even if its over a minute subject like "what jam you prefer".

This may have been touched on already but simply put, yes. Americans do have a general culture but with so many ethnic groups living in the country there are many subcultures within the culture.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, Katty said:

invented in the US, it was, at the very least, improved upon by an American company to become the incarnation of such technology that we now recognize

Improved by China, South Korea, etc. Some were invented in Canada, eh!

basketball is an American sport started by a Canadian working at a US University.   ( No I am Not like the Russian from Star Trek 🤑 )

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 11:04 PM, Hope said:

We define American anti-intellectualism today is a social attitude that systematically denigrates science-based facts, authority of the intellectual “elite”, and the pursuit of theory and knowledge.

I don't think you have to be a proud person to be skeptical of what the "intellectual elites" say is reality. Remember: we're living in an age wherein the "intellectual elites" are telling us things like "gender is on a spectrum" and we should allow someone biologically male to consider himself female into female only spaces. I believe Biden made or is planning to make an executive order by we which we should be allowing biologically male people into female sports, locker rooms, etc, because they claim they are female.  He also appointed someone who is obviously born male, but who expects to be considered female as the Health secretary. The New York Times pushed Biden to appoint a "reality czar", because apparently we have a "reality crisis" and need to be told what reality is.

The intellectual elites also tell us macro-evolution is real, and that belief in a creator should be relegated to mythology, so, to an extent all of Jehovah's Witnesses would be considered "anti-intellectual"

I agree that when presented facts, we should be humble enough to realize we might be wrong, but I also think blind faith in anything the experts say can also be dangerous. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...