JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kindle vs. Nook - Which do you choose?

would recommend this nook tablet with the meekspace modified android OS. Personally I don't like the way MIUI set their OS with the iphone-apps drawer. but when I loaded it with my nook color and seen the difference of battery usage, i am super impress, I start liking it but only on tablet not with the phone.

If you get a nook color, you can purchase an SD card from meekspace that will enable it to boot up with the full Android operating system. That way you can download apps from the Android market, etc.

The card also comes with the WT Library pre-installed.

Check it out here:

http://meekspace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=104

You can also send it to us and we'll root it for you to make the Android OS permanent. But, unlike the SD card method, this will void your warranty.

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would personally recommend it to you. Very user friendly and super saver in battery.

I have a VM Cruz 7" T104 tablet. It has Android 2.3. I went and bought the iSilo program but it will not install. The iSilo tech says they don't know why, and the VM tech says its a hardware problem. So no WTL for me. But it is a good ereader tho the links inside don't work right. Say I'm reading a Watchtower. You can tap a scripture and the scripture will open up. But the problem is that there isn't anyway to get back to the page that you tapped the scripture from. Its a pain at times and will be looking for something better, was thinking about a Window Table, but the one on meekspace is looking good.

I just spent over an hour helping a friend set up their new tablet. They bought an Asus - E-Pad - VERY NICE!!!

I set them up with BOX.com and how to download the iSilo files. Walked them through how iSilo works and then it was on to JWReader. After those 2 things were set up - she was ready to go.

She really liked the weekly files. Keep up the good work MeekSpace people and thank you.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

My family and friends also appreciate their hard work at meekspace especially on the transcript of videos and highlights.

I just spent over an hour helping a friend set up their new tablet. They bought an Asus - E-Pad - VERY NICE!!!

I set them up with BOX.com and how to download the iSilo files. Walked them through how iSilo works and then it was on to JWReader. After those 2 things were set up - she was ready to go.

She really liked the weekly files. Keep up the good work MeekSpace people and thank you.

The Asus e-pad is the Android one, right? Is it also the one with the detachable keyboard? I really like that design.

You know that the "WSM L" files are the ones designed for tablets, right? The illustrations and text are larger then the "S" file, which are inteneded for smaller smart phones.

I have a VM Cruz 7" T104 tablet. It has Android 2.3. I went and bought the iSilo program but it will not install. The iSilo tech says they don't know why, and the VM tech says its a hardware problem. So no WTL for me. But it is a good ereader tho the links inside don't work right. Say I'm reading a Watchtower. You can tap a scripture and the scripture will open up. But the problem is that there isn't anyway to get back to the page that you tapped the scripture from. Its a pain at times and will be looking for something better, was thinking about a Window Table, but the one on meekspace is looking good.

Once you're taken to the scripture from the link, isn't there a "back" button on the tablet that will take you back to the article? Most all Android tablets I've seen have "Home, Menu, Back and Search" buttons.

Nope. When I hit the back all it does is take me to the opening page of the ebook reader.

Where? BestBuy doesn't seem to list it. Or you mean through MeekSpace?

Vickie, is the NWT available through ePub? If so, can you search for keywords? How fast is it?

Ramos W6HD - http://www.mcbub.com they are reputable.

It is a Chinese tablet.You will need to ROOT it or use the SD card from Meekspace. Personally I would get the Meekspace one. Frankie knows what he is doing - unless you have installed OSs on a tablet or phone device before. IT isn't that difficult - just follow the directions. XDA developers has the info.

The Ramos W6HD is a full Android tablet, no rooting is required. It comes with the latest Android release "Ice cream sandwich"

Let me see if I got this right. If I buy this tablet and install iSlo (Which I already own) I can install the WTL iSol files and have the WTL on this tablet?

Let me see if I got this right. If I buy this tablet and install iSlo (Which I already own) I can install the WTL iSol files and have the WTL on this tablet?

Yes, as long as isilo will run on it, you can get many "Theocratic" files as well as the WT Library. It will not "run" as it does on a Windows machine, but you will have access to all the publications and can search the index for subjects.

I don't know all the detailed specifications of each of those, but I'm sure it's just hardware differences. Like "dual-core processors" as opposed to single core. On-board RAM, the types and number of input/output ports, etc.

Try and make a list of each ones specifications and compare them, or find a website that does it for you.

Here are the two I'm looking at. W6HD for $148 7" screen, or the W13 for $178 8" screen. Would the i" bigger screen and the extra price be worth it over W6HD?

W6HD--$148

CPU AMLogic Cortex-A9 2nd generation core

GPU ARM Mali-400 independent GPU core, powerful 3D performance

Operating System Android 4.0

RAM 512MB DDR3

Storage 8GB

Storage Other microSD(TF) up to 32GB

Camera 0.3Mp front + 2.0Mp rear

Screen Size 7 inch

Screen Resolution 1024×600

Screen Type Capacitive

Screen Output HDMI

Video HD Support 1080P

Internet Connections WIFI 3G

Wifi 802.11 b/g

3G external 3G dongle through OTG port

GPS None

Battery 3300mAh

Music around the state About 8 hours

About the video mode About 4-5 hours

Video formats AVI,WMV,MP4,MKV,RM,RMVB,FLV,MOV,3GP

Music formats MP3,WMA,WAV,APE,FLAC,AAC,OGG

Picture formats JPG/BMP/GIF

E-book formats TXT/PBD/PDF/EPUB/FB2/HTML

Language Multi-language

Remote control functions Support

G-sensor function Support

Transmission Interface USB 2.0

Other functions None

Model Ramos W13 $173

CPU ARM Cortex-A9, 1.06GHz

GPU Mali-400MP

Operating System Android 4.0

RAM 1GB DDR

Storage 8GB

Storage Other microSD(TF) up to 32GB

Camera 0.3Mp front, 2.0Mp rear

Screen Size 8 inch

Screen Resolution 1024×768

Screen Type Capacitive Touch Screen

Screen Output HDMI

Video HD Support 1080P

Wifi 802.11 b/g

3G External

GPS None

Bluetooth None

Video Formats AVI,WMV,MP4,MKV,RM,RMVB,FLV,MOV,3GP

Music Formats MP3,WMA,WAV,APE,FLAC,AAC,OGG

Picture Formats JPG/BMP/GIF

E-book Formats TXT/PBD/PDF/EPUB/FB2/HTML

Language Multi-language

G-Sensor Function Support

External Interface USB 2.0 HDMI 3.5mm Earphone SD/TF and others

Other Functions OTG

Battery None (Wonder what it means by none?)

Here are the two I'm looking at. W6HD for $148 7" screen, or the W13 for $178 8" screen. Would the i" bigger screen and the extra price be worth it over W6HD?

No - 1" difference in a tablet screen is not noticeable. The other difference is an 512M of RAM - that might be worth it.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

You are going to have to trust A site. This seems fairly reliable - http://www.ramos-sale.com/

But this is some of the trouble you run into with Chinese tablets. Also, check into return / defective policy - where ever you choose to by.

So

W6HD - CPU A9 - RAM 512MB DDR3 - 7"

W12HD - CPU A9 - RAM 512MB DDR2 - 8"

W21 - CPU A9 (Dual core) - RAM 1GB DDR3 - 8"

I can't believe you would notice a difference from DDR2 to DDR3 type memory on a tablet.

Soon .....

Yes be careful, I bought one for $250.00 and when I got it, it wasn't at all what I ordered. When I tried to return it, they closed their website. I sold it for $100.00 to a nephew that wanted it for school.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I wanna hold out for a Windows 8 tablet, but I think I am about to give into the Asus Eepad Transformer Prime.

I just checked it, wow, nearly 700 Euro! That's a lot of money. Is it cheaper in the US? (http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Acomputers%2Ck%3Aasus+eeepad+transformer+prime&keywords=asus+eeepad+transformer+prime&ie=UTF8&qid=1334224686)

Astrid, it is $499 U.S. dollars here at the local Best Buy. It's lists for more on Amazon.com

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was $499 but now sells for $399. My wife has the Toshiba Thrive that she got used off Craigslist but new is also $399. The cheapest Ipad starts at $499.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I went ahead and ordered the W6HD-Mainly because it was the only one that said the usb port will work with a ext. hard-drive. That could come in handy. Got it from McBub. Their WOT rating was bad, but from the comments it doesn't seem like they deserved that low a rating.