JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kindle vs. Nook - Which do you choose?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a nook color, you can purchase an SD card from meekspace that will enable it to boot up with the full Android operating system. That way you can download apps from the Android market, etc.

The card also comes with the WT Library pre-installed.

Check it out here:

http://meekspace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=104

You can also send it to us and we'll root it for you to make the Android OS permanent. But, unlike the SD card method, this will void your warranty.

What is the"reservable memory" I keep reading about with the Nook. So much gig reserved for Barns & Noble content. Does that mean it can ONLY be used for B&N data? I cannot store anything there? If I don't ever use B&N data that I lose that storage space?

Does the meekspace card only work with the color or will it work for the nook tablet too?

As far as I know, the SD card only works with the Nook color.

And yes, the "reservable memory" is set aside by B&N for their own content. But if you root the device and install the full Android OS, you can then use that space.

I would recommend a straight Android tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy tab. I'm looking to get the 7" version. I like to have a larger screen, but still be able to hold it in one hand. I have big hands! LOL

The Kindles and nooks are designed to be "readers" so you have to modify them in some way (rooting, SD card, etc) to get them to run the Android OS. But if you get an Android tablet, using a "reader" app is just one of the many things you can do on it.

The price of Android tablets have really come down recently also. Here is one Frankie at meekspace really raves about:

http://meekspace.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_61&product_id=61

I would recommend a straight Android tablet, like a Samsung Galaxy tab. I'm looking to get the 7" version. I like to have a larger screen, but still be able to hold it in one hand. I have big hands! LOL

The Kindles and nooks are designed to be "readers" so you have to modify them in some way (rooting, SD card, etc) to get them to run the Android OS. But if you get an Android tablet, using a "reader" app is just one of the many things you can do on it.

The price of Android tablets have really come down recently also. Here is one Franlie at meekspace really raves about:

http://meekspace.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=24&id=12891&Itemid=79

Without being logged into meekspace, I am not sure the link provided is taking one to the page you desire us to see. There a link on the left side of the meekspace page about getting Watchtower Library onto an Android. Is it that link?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

My banker wife wants to keep within $200 each range. So, sadly, that's looking like we stay with Nook Touch. Unless there are other suggestions.

Can I get the NWT on Nook Touch? If so, is it searchable? Can I input a key word or phrase and have the tablet search all occurrences?

You can get the tablet I linked to with all the theocratic isilo files, including the WT Library for $200. or as Jerry's chart shows, you can get it for $178 and load the files yourself since it's a full Android tablet. You won't be locked into using Amazon or B&N for their "approved" apps.

We're looking to get an e-reader and wondered which one would be better. Which one works best with Society downloads? Can the Watchtower Library be put on the reader?

I have a Nook tablet. No, you can not put the WT LiB. on it for the reasons stated. But you can download the mags, books, from jw.org with no problem. The nook tablet accepts epub and pdf files. I personally like epub as you can 'touch' any script. cited, and the scripture will open up. Also, you can touch and hold any word, and a dictionary definition opens up. And you can enlarge most pics. My first choice would have been a straight Android tablet, like the Samsung Galaxy tablet. But we are on a very tight budget, so I got the Nook Tablet. Although limited in comparison, I've been pretty happy with it. It would be great if the SD card from meekspace would work. A side note. You can access email and such on it too.

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

You can get the tablet I linked to with all the theocratic isilo files, including the WT Library for $200. or as Jerry's chart shows, you can get it for $178 and load the files yourself since it's a full Android tablet. You won't be locked into using Amazon or B&N for their "approved" apps.

Where? BestBuy doesn't seem to list it. Or you mean through MeekSpace?

Vickie, is the NWT available through ePub? If so, can you search for keywords? How fast is it?

It's $200 through meekspace, but from the chart Jerry posted, it looks like it's available somewhere for $178.00. That is a great deal, aren't nooks and Kindles at least that much?

Here it is for $148.00!

http://www.mcbub.com/item/RAmos-W6HD-ARM-A9-Tablet-PC-7-inch-HD-Capacitive-Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-HDMI-WiFi-Dual-Cameras--CN109620--143305/

Vickie, is the NWT available through ePub? If so, can you search for keywords? How fast is it?

Ramos W6HD - http://www.mcbub.com they are reputable.

It is a Chinese tablet.You will need to ROOT it or use the SD card from Meekspace. Personally I would get the Meekspace one. Frankie knows what he is doing - unless you have installed OSs on a tablet or phone device before. IT isn't that difficult - just follow the directions. XDA developers has the info.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Ramos W6HD - http://www.mcbub.com they are reputable.

It is a Chinese tablet.You will need to ROOT it or use the SD card from Meekspace. Personally I would get the Meekspace one. Frankie knows what he is doing - unless you have installed OSs on a tablet or phone device before. IT isn't that difficult - just follow the directions. XDA developers has the info.

The Ramos W6HD is a full Android tablet, no rooting is required. It comes with the latest Android release "Ice cream sandwich"

what I saw about it on XDA - said it didn't come with access to the market - unless you root it.

I think Frankie - does a little with it.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Kindle Fire costs $199.00 from Amazon free shipping. I want to find someone who will root my Kindle Fire. I found the directions but I'm chicken.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Yes. I have the NWT on my nook. And Yes, it is in epub format so you can search for keywords. You touch the bottom of the screen, and a vitual qwerty board comes up, with a FIND box. Type in the word(s), and it will search the publication. When you go on jw.org, downloads, there's an option for Digital Publications. The NWT, Bearing Thorough Witness, the yearbook, daily text, Bible Teach Book, and others are all epub and/or pdf files. I have them all on my nook, as well as many mags. As for how fast is it, do you mean finding the keywords? It's not instant, but usually within 5-10 seconds. Not bad IMHO.

It's not as powerful as an Android tablet, or lap top, but I've been pretty happy with it.

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

I have a VM Cruz 7" T104 tablet. It has Android 2.3. I went and bought the iSilo program but it will not install. The iSilo tech says they don't know why, and the VM tech says its a hardware problem. So no WTL for me. But it is a good ereader tho the links inside don't work right. Say I'm reading a Watchtower. You can tap a scripture and the scripture will open up. But the problem is that there isn't anyway to get back to the page that you tapped the scripture from. Its a pain at times and will be looking for something better, was thinking about a Window Table, but the one on meekspace is looking good.

I have a VM Cruz 7" T104 tablet. It has Android 2.3. I went and bought the iSilo program but it will not install. The iSilo tech says they don't know why, and the VM tech says its a hardware problem. So no WTL for me. But it is a good ereader tho the links inside don't work right. Say I'm reading a Watchtower. You can tap a scripture and the scripture will open up. But the problem is that there isn't anyway to get back to the page that you tapped the scripture from. Its a pain at times and will be looking for something better, was thinking about a Window Table, but the one on meekspace is looking good.

Once you're taken to the scripture from the link, isn't there a "back" button on the tablet that will take you back to the article? Most all Android tablets I've seen have "Home, Menu, Back and Search" buttons.

Barnes & Noble has android on its ereaders.

I'm glad you and my mom have the same grasp of this device. She's bringing it with her anywhere she goes even in the ministry and in the hall. I thought she don't like it but I'm glad she did. T'was my gift to her last december when I visited them. :kisscheek:

Yes. I have the NWT on my nook. And Yes, it is in epub format so you can search for keywords. You touch the bottom of the screen, and a vitual qwerty board comes up, with a FIND box. Type in the word(s), and it will search the publication. When you go on jw.org, downloads, there's an option for Digital Publications. The NWT, Bearing Thorough Witness, the yearbook, daily text, Bible Teach Book, and others are all epub and/or pdf files. I have them all on my nook, as well as many mags. As for how fast is it, do you mean finding the keywords? It's not instant, but usually within 5-10 seconds. Not bad IMHO.

It's not as powerful as an Android tablet, or lap top, but I've been pretty happy with it.

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.