JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Kindle vs. Nook - Which do you choose?

Astrid, it is $499 U.S. dollars here at the local Best Buy. It's lists for more on Amazon.com

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was $499 but now sells for $399. My wife has the Toshiba Thrive that she got used off Craigslist but new is also $399. The cheapest Ipad starts at $499. <-- for comparison.

$499 = 379.38 Euros

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone can wait, here is the new nook. (I want)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57413113-286/barnes-noble-beats-amazon-to-the-punch-with-lighted-e-ink-nook-hands-on/

Astrid, it is $499 U.S. dollars here at the local Best Buy. It's lists for more on Amazon.com

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was $499 but now sells for $399. My wife has the Toshiba Thrive that she got used off Craigslist but new is also $399. The cheapest Ipad starts at $499. <-- for comparison.

$499 = 379.38 Euros

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

So, would you recommend a Color over a Tablet?

Are their plans to make these modifications available for the Tablet, too?

Has your question been answered? With the Nook Tablet, you can't get the pre-configured Meekspace SD Card for rooting and the publications together. You will have to root yourself. If you want the Meekspace SD Card, get the Color not the Tablet.

There is a 16GB Nook Tablet for standard retail price $250 which you will have to root yourself. The 8GB NT ($200 standard retail price) cannot be rooted yet (in ANY way) last I checked about a month ago.

Just remember, if you want full android market access, they will have to be rooted so you are not locked into only the B&N market.

My apologies if all of this has been covered previously, I'm having trouble keeping up with all the previous posts, and I found them rather confusing. One more thing, the internal storage space on the Tablet is like 1GB and 15GB is reserved for only B&N stuff. You would have to take it to a B&N store and have someone reconfigure the internal storage so that you have more than 1GB of non-B&N stuff. They will do that for free, but might be considered a hassle for some.

My wife and daughter use a Kindle Fire, I use the new B&N Tablet 16GB. You can ask me questions about both if you want.

Our Kindle Fire hasn't been rooted. It's locked into the Amazon market for now... until I root it, maybe. I rooted the B&N Tablet myself but haven't put the WTLib on it yet. I do have some of the new publications from JW.org on it though.

Edit: I liked how on the Nook Tablet you can use different SD Cards for additional storage. With the Kindle Fire, you can only use it's limited internal space or keep some things stored on the "Cloud".

My wife and daughter use a Kindle Fire, I use the new B&N Tablet 16GB. You can ask me questions about both if you want.

Our Kindle Fire hasn't been rooted. It's locked into the Amazon market for now... until I root it, maybe. I rooted the B&N Tablet myself but haven't put the WTLib on it yet. I do have some of the new publications from JW.org on it though.

Edit: I liked how on the Nook Tablet you can use different SD Cards for additional storage. With the Kindle Fire, you can only use it's limited internal space or keep some things stored on the "Cloud".

My Kindle Fire is being rooted for me. The reason I chose the Kindle Fire in the first place is because I have had such good results from Amazon's customer service. Of course now that I have had it rooted then my warranty will be voided, but I guess I'll just have to live with that. I have a Kindle Keyboard that I use to just read.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Asus Eepad Transformer Prime.

This sounds like something from the Transformers Movie, lol.

I am looking at buying the kindle touch.

The Kindle Touch is really just an upgraded e-reader. The problem with Kindle's is that the PDF's don't look right when you try to read them. And it is hard to get our mags in MOBI which is the format that Kindles use. If I were going to get one for meeting, I would try out a couple before you buy. I really like my Kindles but for ease of use for meeting, I'd re-think buying one. You can format the mags into MOBI with Calibre or on line but they are still not great.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I need something easy too use, lol.

We are going to wait to buy them after the new JW Website is up and running. There will probably be some changes to the site and how things are downloaded, so we are holding off on buying them til next year.

HEELLLPPPP!!!!

We have our Nook Tablets! Now, how do we subscribe to the Society publications? Any suggestions?

Start here - http://www.syntaxsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/JWReader/index.php

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

to those who already use a tablet for the study WT:

could you make a photo of how this really looks, maybe next to a paper magazine, so you see the difference?

I always wonder how bad this would be to your eyes, if you're already shortsighted (which I am) and then look at the tiny writing of the tablet pc.

I don't know about the tablets, but in the Kindle you can change the font size to adjust for bad vision. It is not hard to read at all. The Wt. looks just like it does on paper on the Kindle. I'm sure the other tablets are this way too. One good way to check is go to computer store and read a file on one of their demo's.

I'm worried about the W6HD that I ordered from McBub. Got an emial yesterday from DHL saying that the package have left the DFW airport for delivery to my home town.(7 hours away by car) But the package description is "digtal Photo Frame". I'm hoping this is a mistake.

I'm worried about the W6HD that I ordered from McBub. Got an emial yesterday from DHL saying that the package have left the DFW airport for delivery to my home town.(7 hours away by car) But the package description is "digtal Photo Frame". I'm hoping this is a mistake.

I'm sure it's the tablet. It is about the same size as a "digital photo-frame" so maybe they use the same shipping box?

Keep us posted. I really want to know what you think of the tablet when you get it.

Recived it today. Looks great book is in chiness, so learning how to run it. On here with it now. Will not connect to my routor which is 3 feet away, says signal is to weak. (5 bars ). Connects to my son's routor fine. (2 bars) on the other side of house.

That was the problem I had with the one I bought from ebay. The signal for Wifi. If it has a GPS antenna to use, I found it would get a better signal, but I don't know why. There should be a book on the tablet that you can read in English. It was just too frustrating for me. I paid $250.00 and sold it for $100.00.

How long does it hold a charge? The one from ebay would only hold a charge for 2 hrs. and the battery was not replaceable.

Recived it today. Looks great book is in chiness, so learning how to run it. On here with it now. Will not connect to my routor which is 3 feet away, says signal is to weak. (5 bars ). Connects to my son's routor fine. (2 bars) on the other side of house.

Try changing the wireless channel on your router. Set it for a different one then your son's is. Even if it already is different, changing the channels will help you connect to yours.

Try changing the wireless channel on your router. Set it for a different one then your son's is. Even if it already is different, changing the channels will help you connect to yours.

I remember having to do that with my Cruz because it kept saying it was to far away.

That was the problem I had with the one I bought from ebay. The signal for Wifi. If it has a GPS antenna to use, I found it would get a better signal, but I don't know why. There should be a book on the tablet that you can read in English. It was just too frustrating for me. I paid $250.00 and sold it for $100.00.

How long does it hold a charge? The one from ebay would only hold a charge for 2 hrs. and the battery was not replaceable.

Charging it for the first time tonight. Got it at Mcbub.com for $148.00 with free shipping. Got it in 5 days. So far I'm loving it. Everything I had installed with no problems. Touch screen works great. Video really plays in HD. Fixen to get the new firmware update to change it to android 4.3. Really do need to get a manual that I can read cause there is so much I don't know how to do. Installed JWreader. Works great except when I go to the Bible it's at Gen. and can't find any way to navagate to the other books and scriptures. It downloads the mp3 file and reads the Bible to you. But on the mags, I can't find how to get it to read those to you. The dual cameras are good to and you can record with them. I wonder if there is a Skyp apk file. Only Android market is called slideit (I think) But they were told that an update would enable the android market soon. All in all I'm very happy. Once I can find the import button on my ereader program I will be very happy.

When you are in JW reader, and then in the "Bible" screen. Go to the bottom where the scripture is listed and hold your finger down for a few seconds, a menu will pop up and let you choose Book, chapter and verse.

With the magazines, hold your finger down on the one you want and choose "listen" from the popup menu,

When you are in JW reader, and then in the "Bible" screen. Go to the bottom where the scripture is listed and hold your finger down for a few seconds, a menu will pop up and let you choose Book, chapter and verse.

With the magazines, hold your finger down on the one you want and choose "listen" from the popup menu,

That is the same - in JWReader - for the magazines -> press and hold on the mag / book icons and more options come up.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

That is the same - in JWReader - for the magazines -> press and hold on the mag / book icons and more options come up.

I saw I left that part out, but edited my post and added it. As soon as I was finished, I saw your post Jerry! :tongue:

I saw I left that part out, but edited my post and added it. As soon as I was finished, I saw your post Jerry! :tongue:

Great Minds ...... Hey those "Weekly Study Material" files from Box are awesome. I may have to give that a go.

Soon .....

Great Minds ...... Hey those "Weekly Study Material" files from Box are awesome. I may have to give that a go.

I thought you were already using them?