JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A Blessing for the Deaf in Peru

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1157 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

From what I’ve understood, some sign languages use similar signs, yet their meaning could be quite different in different locality/country. But that’s really the case with any language; some languages are more intelligible when compared to x than when compared to y. Like from “regular” languages many Romance languages are quite a lot like Spanish and Portuguese despite certain differences, or Slavic languages where technically some languages seem more like dialects than different languages altogether.

When I was living in Sweden, our Kingdom Hall library had some video publications in local sign language. Yet, they were not in Swedish sign language, but Finnish sign language. Not sure if this was because there were more publications available in FSL, or because they are similar enough languages for people to communicate in despite hailing from two separate countries.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

From what I’ve understood, some sign languages use similar signs, yet their meaning could be quite different in different locality/country. But that’s really the case with any language; some languages are more intelligible when compared to x than when compared to y. Like from “regular” languages many Romance languages are quite a lot like Spanish and Portuguese despite certain differences, or Slavic languages where technically some languages seem more like dialects than different languages altogether.

When I was living in Sweden, our Kingdom Hall library had some video publications in local sign language. Yet, they were not in Swedish sign language, but Finnish sign language. Not sure if this was because there were more publications available in FSL, or because they are similar enough languages for people to communicate in despite hailing from two separate countries.

It is easier for Swedish Sign Language publishers to understand Finnish Sign Language than American Sign Language, and for a long time more publications were available in Finnish Sign Language than in Swedish Sign Language, so it is true that the brothers here used literature in that language.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”