JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Computer response delay in new book

I have been discussing the delay I am experiencing in the new installation of my digital version of the Enjoy Life Forever book.  The book discussion is not the appropriate place for a continued discussion of this problem.  

I have installed this book on 3 of my Windows 10 devices (two desktop computers and a laptop).  In each case, the program loads well and operates correctly.  In one case I loaded the media and in the other cases I did not.  When I go to a lesson (any lesson) and try to return to the table of contents (home page) by using the "back" or "return" arrow at the top of the page, I experience a delay.  The screen displays an off-white background and is blank (no book content).  The Windows menu remains on all sides.  The delay lasts about 24 seconds on the average (by digital stopwatch).  I think the very slight variations are caused by my pushing the buttons to start and stop manually.

I deleted the book and media from my publications.  I just deleted all my caches on the Windows program (system cache, DNS cache, browser cache).  I rebooted the device. I disabled the Norton anti-virus software.  I reinstalled the book (no media) and tried again.  It was 24 1/2 second delay.

Can it be related to the fact that I use Windows 10 PRO instead of the Student/home version or version SE?

I wonder if it's still 24 seconds if you only install the new book by itself and maybe the study Bible and daily text with a fresh install of JW library app? 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

I wonder if it's still 24 seconds if you only install the new book by itself and maybe the study Bible and daily text with a fresh install of JW library app? 

I have to balance the work of reloading the gigabytes of material AFTER I delete the app (in the future).  It is a job I do not look forward to.

Another point of reference is the Enjoy Life brochure.  It contains the same material in the first 3 lessons.  I have that downloaded with all the media and it returns to the homepage in less than 2 seconds.  This is from the same lesson, the same page plus the media.  Since I do not have the media loaded with the book, the file is about 150 mb (which is relatively modest in size.

The Pure Worship book is over 600 mb with media.  I can go to a lesson and look at a scripture and "return" to the table of contents in 4 seconds.  So why not in the Enjoy Life Forever book?  I may delet the JW Library but it will take a lot more frustration before I get to that point...🙂

BTW: If I delete the library and reinstall and it is STILL slow, I am coming back to this post and discuss it again...

Hopefully an update may solve the problem. Hope you had a chance to send a message to the JW library app developers, like a trouble ticket m

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I deleted JW Libray app on my laptop.  I reinstalled it on the laptop.  I downloaded just the new book.  I then down loaded the daily text.  Then I downloaded the Bible and the Bible media.

When I tried the new book on the laptop, the return arrow took 80 seconds to get me back to the table of contents.  No the laptop was slower then my desktop to start with so it is about the same as before I reinstalled the JW Library app.

At least I didn't lose my main desktop app.  I can live with 24 secaond dely for a while.  My daily use will be on my Ipad and Iphone for now.  They are working fine.

No problems on my laptop, and that is 8 years old.  Can't see whether using Home or Pro or S would make any difference, or how much of the media or how many other publications would change a thing.

My first thoughts was the new book uses some new features, new code of JW Library, and that could be the problem.  But then so does the brochure, and that is working fine.  Unless the book uses other code that the brochure doesn't.  Head scratcher this one. 🤔  You may just have to wait, either for an update to the jwpub, or for the app.

You need to find others with the same problem, then you may find a common cause.

I have a blank screen delay myself but it’s less than a second on my main windows pc. Irritating but nowhere near the problems your seeing. 

I did check that the latest version was installed as well. 

Will try it on my other older pc after I drop my kids at school. 

The delay is annoying but it is not crippling.  The systems function as they should and I can use the new book.  All my other devices are working fine (no delay) so I will use these while waiting for a solution.

Since it is present on my newest, biggest and most powerful desktop, it does not seem to be related to age or power.  But the fact that it delays the same on ALL of my Windows 10 Pro computers is disturbing.  All of the devices have separate Windows licenses but they all share my same Microsoft account.

And the brochure works well on all of them.

I also should note that it is not just the "arrow" used in the delay.  The keyboard shortcut using the "backspace" key does the same.

Edited by jwhess

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Since it is present on my newest, biggest and most powerful desktop, it does not seem to be related to age or power.

Mr thinks you have too much computing power!

I think the code have to be adjusted for systems like yours. I would hope it will be worked out in 6 months or less for the update. 

27 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Mr thinks you have too much computing power!

I think the code have to be adjusted for systems like yours. I would hope it will be worked out in 6 months or less for the update. 

I can always use the PDF version...♥️

Edited by jwhess

27 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

Well my 10 year old i7 with windows 10 home has the very slight delay as well. 

Both pc’s are running windows 10 home. Both have nvidia hex cards and ssd drives.

(Took so long to get back as I had to reset my os as nothing was working on it. )

I hope someone running Win Pro lets me know if it works for them. 

All of my three Windows devices have different specs (video cards, cpu, ram and HDs)  so I know it is not device specific.

There recently was a Windows 10 problem with some game computers so maybe it is a driver or update problem on the Windows...who knows?

Interesting update.  I downloaded all of the media files just now.  I used the high resolution graphics for the videos (720p).

Now when I try to return to the table of contents, the average delay has increased from 24 seconds to 34 seconds average.

It must be in the memory handling/sorting it gets bogged down (or lost).  I will keep experimenting.

On 4/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, jwhess said:

I hope someone running Win Pro lets me know if it works for them. 

Brand new Laptop: 2.5-3 seconds

10-year-old Desktop: <2 seconds

Both running Windows 10 Pro and no white background when going back to the table of contents. I do (briefly) see a white background when loading the lesson.

Do you have the same delay when first opening the book from the teaching toolbox or Publications screen?

26 minutes ago, Trey said:

Brand new Laptop: 2.5-3 seconds

10-year-old Desktop: <2 seconds

Both running Windows 10 Pro and no white background when going back to the table of contents. I do (briefly) see a white background when loading the lesson.

Do you have the same delay when first opening the book from the teaching toolbox or Publications screen?

Thanks for the data.  I have tried opening the book from the "home page" under Frequent tab...no delay opening the book or going to a lesson.  I have opened the book from What's New tab...no delay going to the book or going to a lesson.  I have opened the book from the Tool Box...no delay going to the book or going to a lesson..  When i open the book from the Publications list under Books, there is a very slight delay going to the book(less than 1 second) and about a 2 second delay opening a lesson.

But in every case, going from a lesson back to the table of contents (no matter how I opened the book) there is a long delay.  Originally it was 24 seconds but now that I have added the media it is averaging 45+ seconds.

Very confusing as it is on all of Windows devices (new and old).

I'm running windows 10 Pro on an I3-9100F (4 core, 4 threads)

Switched on Resource Monitor on 2nd screen and JW Library windows on 1st screen.

When I select lesson 01 and then hit back arrow (on top left corner of screen), Resource Monitor shows that one cpu (or 25% of total) is being fully used for 30secs.

I/O usage is low and I'm using an SSD so its not an I/O problem.

49 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

I'm running windows 10 Pro on an I3-9100F (4 core, 4 threads)

Switched on Resource Monitor on 2nd screen and JW Library windows on 1st screen.

When I select lesson 01 and then hit back arrow (on top left corner of screen), Resource Monitor shows that one cpu (or 25% of total) is being fully used for 30secs.

I/O usage is low and I'm using an SSD so its not an I/O problem.

Thanks Br. Chew, I don't have an SSD, I am using a Western Digital 3 TB hard Drive (I have two of them for a C:\ and a D:\ drive).  very puzzling.

My congregation COBE and i were discussing this problem.  He said he only used his Ipad so he did not know if the Windows computer worked or not.

He just texted me.  He downloaded the new book on his Windows Pro desktop and it works OK.

We live in the same town, share the same utility structure, we have the same internet provider and so on.

So it has to be my account or way in which Windows gets downloaded and installed onto my devices.  Some kind of setting?

All my Windows devices have different CPUs, different amounts of RAM, different video structures (one is a laptop) and different size hard drives.  Some have SD cards for media storage and some do not.  Yet they all misfunction in exactly the same manner. I find it strange.

Edited by jwhess

Just to add ... I have Windows 10 Pro and I have about a 5 second delay.

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.60 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

And an SSD drive.

Sorry I can't be more help.

When you open Task manager while the app is running (I open both screens at half size), the "Runtime Broker" program is running.  It varies from 0% with 10 mb use to 12% 400 mb in use.  I thought this might be using resources and maybe I could turn it off.  Most forums do not recommend turning it off, even if you know how.

In playing around with the setup, I find that the Runtime Broker usually gives back the resources after a short while.  It did not seem to change remarkedly during the JW Library delay in the new book.  So I am not thinking this is a lead that I need to pursue.

Is anyone familiar with starting and stopping the "Runtime Broker" program?  It seems to be a background resource manager.

There is an update in Windows to correct a "race error" that causes excessive CPU usage.  I thought this might help but it did not.

So I made a bookmark for each section and heading choice.

Mow I open the book, choose a bookmark and browse the chapters this way.  When i choose anothe bookmark there s no delay getting to another part of the book.

This will work for now.

Enjoy Life.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this situation. Several members suggested a variety of solutions but I held off because of the work involved. Here is my latest efforts.

I dismantled my desktop computer. I checked all installed parts for correct seating in sockets, plugs correctly installed and so forth.

I removed my Hitachis hard drives and removed them from the computer.

I replaced them with a single 4 TB SSD (it is a Samsung).

I bought a new copy of Windows 10 Pro (with a cd install disk).

I installed the new SSD and installed the new Windows software.

I installed the new drivers for my motherboard.

Then...

I installed a new copy of JW Library (it was the only installed software on the computer other than what Microsoft put on).

I opened the JW library and installed the Daily Text and the Study Bible (no video or audio downloads).

Then I installed a new copy of Enjoy Life Forever book.

I opened the book, selected a laesson, looked up a scripture and then used the "back arrow" to return to the table of contents (home screen of the book).

It took about 4 seconds. (great News)

Then I finished loading the audio and video for the book and the return time began to slow down.

I installed the Bible audio and video files and the return time slowed some more.

I began to populate the JW Library with other Bibles and pubications. The response time has returned to 45-60 seconds as it was before I spent 3 days and $500.

Results?

I have a much faster and lager SSD hard drive.  I have a more responsive desktop computer. I have a very quiet machine. This is the best, fastest and most agile desktop computer that I have ever owned.  But it won't run the Enjoy Life Forever book quickly.

Solution...

I went back and placed JW Library "bookmarks" at each section heading and each part in the table of contents.  Now I can navigate around the book in just a second or so.  good enough for now.  Maybe an update to the Library will help and maybe not.  Time will tell.  Thanks to all for the suggestions....💗

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

I have a much faster and lager SSD hard drive.  I have a more responsive desktop computer. I have a very quiet machine. This is the best, fastest and most agile desktop computer that I have ever owned.

You've perfectly described the feelings of every person who bought a new pc.

• 1 month later...

The latest update in JW Library has fixed the problem of the delay when using the Enjoy Life Forever book.  New version 12.4.190  of the JW Library app  for Windows has solved the problem.  It all works correctly and quickly as it should.  It was worth the wait.