JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I have an iPhone 11 previously had an iPhone six. I have an iPad Pro. I’m looking to get a laptop. The obvious choice would be a Mac, unless somebody has information or experience which would make me think a Windows platform is better. Any advice is helpful. 

Hi Fred, 

1 suggestion you might like is if you able are to wait for the next MacBook Pros or Airs, these will either have improved M1 technology or possibly the new M2s will be added. With this M1 technology, you can run iOS “Apps” now on your MacBook! That makes these newest MacBooks very advanced!  

There are some other topics here on our forum where some of the brothers talk about the M1. There are some issues right now with some apps, so that is 1 reason I mentioned waiting for the next Gen laptops. But the other reason is because right now you can only get the MacBook Pro or Air in 13inches, which is a little small for most people.  But the 15” or 17” are supposed to be these next laptops coming out, either some time this year or next year. However, if you need a laptop now and you don’t mind the 13”, the Air has went down in price, on sale for $899. 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I have these

the meetings play fine on the iPad - regular, pro and Pro12" ( pro will support bluetooth mouse or trackpad)

to host you should have a laptop or PC - makes things easier - for zoom (not same for JWapp) - we use windows PC for hosting

MacBook Air (starting $900-999-new in US)

MacBook Pro - approx $1200  and up

laptops have more ports and variety and multi-monitor capability...so some things might be easier

you can use other bits and pieces and make you ipad or laptop play on TV or monitors also

windows is definitely more popular in the business space

MAC leads the Creative / security / College arenas

windows may be a bit cheaper - but you will pay for most applications and upgrades

MAC - upgrades are free

if you already use and like the Apple devices - stick with them

you will pay a small premium - but they are usually made a bit better

some tablet type PCs and MacAir are sealed and cant be upgraded...although i have swapped batteries - usually 4-5 years into use

and finally - i can run ALL windows app on my MACs with a program like parallels

had the chance to be a speaker at a MICROSOFT convention - they balked(freaked really) when I walked on stage with my MAC laptop

-- it was running a version of Windows in a Virtual Machine

....then next 5 speakers thanked me - as they pulled out their own mac laptops....it was quite funny

(Huge laptop companies where there.....Dell - lenovo - MS - toshiba - they didnt laugh)

10 hours ago, DarinS said:

we use windows PC for hosting

Keep in mind that the host merely starts the meeting and assigns co-hosts which can easily be done from a tablet. He doesn't necessarily have any other assignments for the meeting.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Floyd said:

Keep in mind that the host merely starts the meeting and assigns co-hosts which can easily be done from a tablet. He doesn't necessarily have any other assignments for the meeting.

Not necessarily - see branch directions - and there are zoom responsibilities vs Mtg responsibilities

we have a Chairman who opens the meetings (meeting organizer type role) but in our case Zoom HOST shares video and songs - Zoom coHost handles the zoom attendees

the point being you need more than an iPad to handle greater responsibilities 

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 AM, DarinS said:

Not necessarily - see branch directions - and there are zoom responsibilities vs Mtg responsibilities

we have a Chairman who opens the meetings (meeting organizer type role) but in our case Zoom HOST shares video and songs - Zoom coHost handles the zoom attendees

I did read the instructions. That is why I said what I said. The brother that handles A/V may indeed be the Zoom host but he may also be a co-host. The title for the brother who plays the videos and such is "AUDIO/VIDEO SUPPORT" not "host." 

The brother assigned to start the meeting "becomes the host." He then assigns "the brothers assisting him (such as those caring for audio/video support." 

The "videoconference organizer" is not the chairman. This position does not rotate. One brother is assigned this responsibility.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:43 AM, DarinS said:

We occasionally need the zoom 'Host" to drop our (technical difficulties). He is supposed to transfer the host duties to another person (another zoom co-host or attendant).  But the users of the IOS Ipad don't seem to have that option in their "participants" button.  This has worked OK during Field Service Meetings but not during longer Midweek and Weekend meetings.

Have you watched the branch video 

it calls the host the person sharing video / audio

and you can have someone setup the meeting

and the multiple folks can 

A) be reassigned HOST

b) be given a code to claim host

c) login as “host’ opening meeting - with cong login

d) reassign HOST to another once they login or start meeting

the app continues to change and allows co-host to have more responsibility

glad the branch gave us some local leeway regardless

I always go by written instructions. It's so much faster. When I have to watch a video I usually have to watch it in double speed. I just don't have the patience for instructional videos.

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

in some countries, Zoom is blocked and they use other things, like MS Teams for example

and your point is?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, DarinS said:

Have you watched the branch video 

it calls the host the person sharing video / audio

It actually the video says "Think of the audio/video and attendant brothers in the Kingdom Hall. In Zoom, these are cared for by the host and co-host roles, enabling them to play media, manage security, and limit distractions."

Also "only the Zoom account needs to sign in as host to start the meeting."

And "Let's switch to the attendants role as host or co-host."

So again I go back to the fact that the only thing the host has to do is start the meeting and assign others as co-hosts. All of the responsibilities can be done by the host but can also be done by co-hosts per branch direction. 

I just check with my Android device and I could handle all of the hosts functions such as admitting people from the waiting room, assigning co-hosts, mute/unmute, and share screen. I can make somebody else the host. If I absolutely had to I could run the meeting from my phone. 

zoom.png

I have had an iPad 6 for 3 years, but with the iPad and iOS it bothers me that most of the applications are mostly in English, 90% safe, and on Android devices there are applications in many languages .. zoom is not in other languages at all.  if the apple store was in my language and apps too, I would use it often.  like this just surf and jw library .. i understand english but it is easier to follow everything in my native language.