JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Topic Ratings, 1 to 5 Stars

Could someone tell me what the 5 stars in the upper left corner are used for. 
Sometime all are empty and some are filled in. 
do the members use them or the staff

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

It's a built in feature of the software. Under the hood, we can "Allow topics to be rated Y/N" and choose a 5 Star or 10 Star scale. The feature is ON and set to 5 stars by default. We've never changed it.

There are some sidebar and footer blocks that we could add for "Highest Rated Topics" etc. We don't display those either.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

At the same time though, many of them are filled in, like someone is using them.

Like when you watch a movie there is a five star rating system and you are asked that you rate the movie. Amazon also has this system where you rate the product you purchased.

But I couldn't understand how that would work here on a topic with thousands of readers, so thought maybe it's automatic; the software rates it automatically according to number of readers or positive reactions, but that wouldn't make sense either.

It's not important, I just wonder every time I look at them and thought I'd ask...🙂

Also wondered if when you write a response to a thread but leave it on your editor to think more about it before you post, can the moderators see that?

I just remember a time when a member said they wrote something but then erased it and someone asked them why they erased it, like they were able to see and read it as it was being typed....🤔

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

They are on the top-right on my PC

I rated this topic 5-star

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I see them on both sides, pc and phone. 

On topic Evidence for Ivermectin June 1 post #251, they are on the left. 

On this topic they are on the right.

The fact that you rated the stars shows then that it's the readers that use these. 

But that also brings up the question, that is only one persons' opinion. Will that rating be the same every time, or change on every page if someone else rates the topic according to their own opinion...can't  figure how that would work...

and thanks for rating..:)

Edited by Dove

5 minutes ago, Dove said:

The fact that you rated the stars shows then that it's the readers that use these. 

But that also brings up the question, that is only one persons' opinion. Will that rating be the same every time, or change on every page if someone else rates the topic according to their own opinion...can't  figure how that would work...

and thanks for rating..:)

This topic shows 5 stars.  I will type in 2 stars and see if it changes...💗

That's the same way the other things work. But they really are only meaningful if everyone used them, similar to the reactions. Many do not give their opinion.

But that quiets my mind about what they do...🙂

Thanks...

Just testing, I just rated this topic 5 stars and it stayed at 4. You would think 2 out of 3 would take priority...

1 hour ago, Dove said:

At the same time though, many of them are filled in, like someone is using them.

Yes, they work an dif someobody uses them they will show. But few members if any are using them.

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Also wondered if when you write a response to a thread but leave it on your editor to think more about it before you post, can the moderators see that?

No, no one can see what you post until you press the Submit button. :)

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Just testing, I just rated this topic 5 stars and it stayed at 4. You would think 2 out of 3 would take priority...

Well, 5 stars plus my 2 stars was 7.  Divide by 2 and you get 3 1/2 but they showed 4 (round up_  If you ad 5 stars more it totals 12 and divide by 3 it is 4 stars with no rounding.

1 hour ago, Dove said:

They are on the right in both threads on my PC

1 hour ago, Dove said:

But they really are only meaningful if everyone used them, similar to the reactions. Many do not give their opinion.

BTW - the Ivermectin thread has a 3 star rating showing on my PC - I a few do use them, at times ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~