JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW library "Installation failed" and "No Connect to the Internet to see available media"

Hello My name is Jus,

I’m having problems with my jw library app. The app is trying to “Check for new publications” but it keep saying “Check failed.” I press the refresh button but still it does the same thing. I can’t download any publications, I can’t download the Examining the Scriptures Daily-2021, I can’t even download videos. It says “Connect to the Internet to see available media.” However I have full internet connection it even show the breaking news on the top of the screen. I have uninstall and reinstall, I have reset the app, I even reset my pc. By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S Book w/ Microsoft account. I don’t know what else to do any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Hi Jus. Here are just a few things that come to mind....

1) Can you open a browser (like Chrome or Samsung Internet) on your S Book and reach www.jw.org by typing it in the address bar?

2) Are you using the built in Windows 10 Anti-virus and Firewall called "Windows Defender" or some 3rd party program?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

3 hours ago, Justin Langston said:

Hello My name is Jus,

I’m having problems with my jw library app. The app is trying to “Check for new publications” but it keep saying “Check failed.” I press the refresh button but still it does the same thing. I can’t download any publications, I can’t download the Examining the Scriptures Daily-2021, I can’t even download videos. It says “Connect to the Internet to see available media.” However I have full internet connection it even show the breaking news on the top of the screen. I have uninstall and reinstall, I have reset the app, I even reset my pc. By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S Book w/ Microsoft account. I don’t know what else to do any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Welcome Justin.  i am sorry that one of your first posts has to to be a problem but rest assured that there are many here that will offer suggestions.  most of us will start with the usual questions about your devices and whether you are updated (you said you reset the device). Brother Bob has asked if you can use any browser on the internet when you are not trying to do the JW Library app.  He has asked about virus protection and so forth.  Just wait, we will have morequestions.  It helps us narrow down the possibilities of the problem.

Again, welcome to the family here.

7 hours ago, Justin Langston said:

However I have full internet connection it even show the breaking news on the top of the screen.

Oh, it sounds like your connection to the internet is working.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Welcome Justin.  i am sorry that one of your first posts has to to be a problem but rest assured that there are many here that will offer suggestions.  most of us will start with the usual questions about your devices and whether you are updated (you said you reset the device). Brother Bob has asked if you can use any browser on the internet when you are not trying to do the JW Library app.  He has asked about virus protection and so forth.  Just wait, we will have morequestions.  It helps us narrow down the possibilities of the problem.

Yes looking forward to encourage thoughts and suggestions. Thank you for having me.

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

To answer a few questions you post yes I can use any browser on the internet when not trying to do the JW Library app and I even check the virus protection but it's not the problem.

8 hours ago, Justin Langston said:

I even reset my pc. By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S Book w/ Microsoft account.

Is that a Windows OS?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, Justin Langston said:

By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy S Book w/ Microsoft account.

Is your Samsung Galaxy S running Windows on ARM?

Is this the CPU your tablet uses?

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 8cx Compute Platform
7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor (Max. 2.84 GHz + 1.8GHz)
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-book-s/specs/

3 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Is your Samsung Galaxy S running Windows on ARM?

Is this the CPU your tablet uses?

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 8cx Compute Platform
7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor (Max. 2.84 GHz + 1.8GHz)
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-book-s/specs/

Yes that sounds about right

Snapdragon (TM) 8cx @ 2.84 GHz 2.84 GHz 

64-bit operating system, ARM-based processor

It's on Windows 10 Home Edition

Edited by Justin Langston

Hi @Justin Langston I am having the same problem - have tried everything - I am working on a Surface Pro.

1. Was it ever working for you? It was working on mine, I used it for preparing talks and things, but then it stopped working - I uninstalled and reinstalled, can't get it to work.

2. It appears to be downloading - eg. if you download the study bible 93MB it takes longer than the smaller files.

3. When selecting a publication it appears to download, then says "Installation Failed - JW Library cannot install this publication. Please download and install it again".

I have turned off all antivirus and firewalls - didn't work.

I have no idea where to go from here... I can only think it may be something to do with a Windows update?

In researching the ARM version of Windows 10, it says that regular Windows apps may run under an emulator in the ARM processor.  If the company produces apps to run on the Snapdragon CPU (ARM) processor, they should make an ARM version to run natively.  If a regular X86 version is installed it may have to be emulated to run.

Maybe the JW Library app is being emulated and causing some difficulty?

This is a quote from the product review....

Qualcomm over Intel. ARM PCs can run native ARM64, native ARM32, and emulated x86 apps. The only thing that you actually can't run are x64 apps (yet). Native ARM apps work the best, as you'd probably guess from the word "native"…The biggest roadblock that you're going to run into is apps that are only available in x64 flavors,

16 hours ago, Justin Langston said:

It's on Windows 10 Home Edition

Make sure Windows 10 is up to date...

START -> SETTINGS -> UPDATES & SECURITY -> WINDOWS UPDATE -> CHECK FOR UPDATES

Try Resetting the JW Library App

START -> JW LIBRARY -> RIGHT-CLICK -> APP SETTINGS -> RESET

or...

START -> SETTINGS -> APPS -> JW LIBRARY -> ADVANCED OPTIONS -> RESET

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

16 hours ago, .Ivan. said:

maybe you have to give permissions to apps, storage, internet, etc. so it's on android, and windows tablet i never had. try google to search for "windows application can't access the internet" and explore.

Thank you for advice! It have permission I'll see what the search engine brings up in google

Edited by Justin Langston

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

In researching the ARM version of Windows 10, it says that regular Windows apps may run under an emulator in the ARM processor.  If the company produces apps to run on the Snapdragon CPU (ARM) processor, they should make an ARM version to run natively.  If a regular X86 version is installed it may have to be emulated to run.

Maybe the JW Library app is being emulated and causing some difficulty?

Qualcomm over Intel. ARM PCs can run native ARM64, native ARM32, and emulated x86 apps. The only thing that you actually can't run are x64 apps (yet). Native ARM apps work the best, as you'd probably guess from the word "native"…The biggest roadblock that you're going to run into is apps that are only available in x64 flavors,

Thank you for the additional info. Base on the information you provided I wonder what the right course of action to resolve the emulated problem. Hmmm...I'll look into it again thanks.

Hey brothers. I did a full break down on the brothers Samsung Galaxy S and was still unable to get it to work. When i checked the Catalog date it says it is June 29th. On my ipad and iphone the date is the current date. This is because the app is not reaching the internet to be able to update. I have checked all firewall settings and nothing is being blocked. My guess is that Samsung did an update not Windows to the OS that is ran an this caused the issue. I even uninstalled the latest Microsoft updates and still was unable to get JW Library to work. He was running Windows OS build version 21H1 i believe which is different than desktops. 

I think the JW Library on Samsung Galaxy S will not work until Samsung releases an update.

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

On my x64 windows 10 PC, JWLibrary is found in "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_12.4.150.0_x64__5rz59y55nfz3e\JWLibrary.exe" implying its an x64 app.

However, the Microsoft Store shows that the JW Library system requirements are:

Architecture: x86, x64, ARM

I wonder how x86 or ARM support is provided as the executable is x64?

2 hours ago, digital0423 said:

Hey brothers. I did a full break down on the brothers Samsung Galaxy S and was still unable to get it to work. When i checked the Catalog date it says it is June 29th. On my ipad and iphone the date is the current date. This is because the app is not reaching the internet to be able to update. I have checked all firewall settings and nothing is being blocked. My guess is that Samsung did an update not Windows to the OS that is ran an this caused the issue. I even uninstalled the latest Microsoft updates and still was unable to get JW Library to work. He was running Windows OS build version 21H1 i believe which is different than desktops. 

I think the JW Library on Samsung Galaxy S will not work until Samsung releases an update.

Thanks for the info, I kinda hate that because I've been using the JW Library on my laptop for personal studies and host duties for Zoom. Hopefully they rectified the problem soon.

2 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

On my x64 windows 10 PC, JWLibrary is found in "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\WatchtowerBibleandTractSo.45909CDBADF3C_12.4.150.0_x64__5rz59y55nfz3e\JWLibrary.exe" implying its an x64 app.

However, the Microsoft Store shows that the JW Library system requirements are:

Architecture: x86, x64, ARM

I wonder how x86 or ARM support is provided as the executable is x64?

Yes that sounded odd, lol. Thanks for the assistance.