JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tips for pain management Essential Oils/Herbal (non medicine ideas)

Just wondering if any one into natural health have any tips for pain such as using essential oils or specific herbal blends.  I've tried boswella, magnesium and turmeric supplements but it doesn't seem to help much.   I am not considering over the counter things like 'ibruprophen, asprin, tylenol etc.) as I've used them in the past and they messed up the lining of my tummy and are responsible for a lot of my digestive issues.

Anyway, I got a bit too ambitious a couple Wednesdays ago and worked out too much in an online jw exercise class.  I came in late so missed the majority of the warm ups.  I hadn't done major exercise in a while so my body felt like it had been through major trauma afterwards.  I rested for a while and then decided to start lifting heaving things in my house changing mattress sheets, etc. By the next day my lower right back and side above the hip bone were in major pain.  I then decided to put one of those hot heat patches on it and it seemed to make the pain expand and get worst.  I recently (last 3-4 days) have tried to make an essential oil blend of arnica, peppermint and wintergreen in a 2 oz bottle of oil.  I am new to essential oils so I'm not sure if I am doing the blend correctly but it does seem to help some along with my teen daughter giving me a few massages.  I've also been doing light exercises to try to make the muscles relax.

I have been walking around smelling like life-savers wintergreen mints and in fear that one of my daughters will bite me as she's obsessed with those type of mints. 😂

Edited by lovjahupepl

Try icing the injuries.  I like heat too but when I have very bad inflammation then icing helps.  

Does the massage feel good and help?  If so, then you may need to get a massage gun and get into the area. I get locked up with the piriformis muscle (it’s in the upper buttock area) and it sets off my sciatic.   The chiropractor I go to will actually use a massage tool to break up the fascia.  He’s used his elbow before too. Ouch!!!  After, I go home and ice it and it really helps to release the muscles and fascia and allow the fluid to move in the area. 

Epson salt baths

Magnesium to the point of failure. Aka diarrhea 

Turmeric-make sure you are taking it frequently with a meal with black pepper or the supplement should include black pepper. 

I use DoTerra so for pain this is what I do/have:

turneric supplements 3x per day when needed. Once per day on maintenance 

deep blue supplements. Same. 
deep blue oil. I put this on first then layer over deep blue lotion. 
I’ve made my own oil rub that includes the follow oils for pain: deep blue oil, copaiba, marjoram and lemongrass. With carrier oil. 

You can also do gentle exercise and stretching like Pilates to keep areas limber and the blood moving. I haven’t looked at the science on it but the chiropractor is always saying that getting blood flow moving in that area helps to bring down inflammation. 

I use ibuprofen as a last resort. Sometimes though, if I catch it early, I can use one dose of ibuprofen and that gets the inflammation down enough to where all my other remedies can stay on top of it. 

I forget to use them as much but you can also use homeopathy for pain. Arnica for muscles, Hypericum for nerve pain. Again, you start with very frequent doses and then slowly back down. 

My husband found relief from shoulder pain with glucosamine condroitin.  That worked for him. 

Whenever you do natural remedies, you have to do something frequently.  When we get sick, we take something every hour. I have things we rotate. It’s the same with pain. You can take something or do something every hour as long as you are rotating what you are using.  I just watched Alone season 3.  One of the women on there was an herbalist and healed her recluse spider bites with poultices and tea from plants. It can be done!  But you have to be diligent. 

Just some ideas. I am not a doctor. 😉

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

2 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Does the massage feel good and help?

Whenever you do natural remedies, you have to do something frequently.  When we get sick, we take something every hour. I have things we rotate. It’s the same with pain. You can take something or do something every hour as long as you are rotating what you are using.  I just watched Alone season 3.  One of the women on there was an herbalist and healed her recluse spider bites with poultices and tea from plants. It can be done!  But you have to be diligent.

Thanks so much for your reply.  While I know pretty much what to do to keep immune system built up I must admit major pain hasn't been an issue for me until now.  Yes the massage feels good and helps tremendously.  I'm getting more morbility back and pain is getting less.  I haven't been consistent with taking oral things.  I have only been taking oral supplements 1 or 2x a days I really need to get better at taking things.  Since I have had the oil mixture I have done that a few times a day and it helps a lot.   I truly appreciate all the advice I've received from everyone and will review it and implement what I can.

Edited by lovjahupepl

https://www.bellefleurphysio.com/ice/

THE USE OF ICE FOR INFLAMMATION: A PREHISTORIC APPROACH THAT SHOULD BE DISCONTINUED

By Bellefleur Physiotherapy  2017

(In Injuries, Tips and Tricks)

INFLAMMATION ISN’T BAD!

There it is, we said it – the inflammation isn’t a bad thing. It’s actually a normal process of the human body, so why would we ever try to stop it?! When we injure a tissue, the body will try to remove the damaged stimulus and start the healing process. Part of this process is to increase blood circulation and lymphatic flow to and from the injured area. This allows for healing nutrients and inflammatory cells to the site of injury and help remove the damaged tissue. The best analogy to describe this is “groceries in and garbage out”. Groceries in refers to the fresh blood to accelerate healing and inflammatory cells to clean up the damaged tissue. However, this does increase the fluid to the site, meaning swelling will be present as well as an increased sensation to pain. Afterwards, there will be a big accumulation of waste (garbage) which will need to be evacuated out of the healing area. This is the role of the lymphatic system, it helps remove all the waste and excess fluid build-up caused by inflammation. Let’s find out more about how the lymphatic system is important in the inflammatory process.

https://www.physio-network.com/blog/ice-for-acute-injury/

Ice was finally revoked in 2019 from the injury management process with the latest and most comprehensive acronym: PEACE & LOVE (Protection, Elevation, Avoid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, Compression, Education & Load, Optimism, Vascularisation and Exercise)

• 1 month later...

For Headaches, migraine, fuzzy head; or sleep issues (and hypertension):

You need two high strength magnets. 
and a headband (or hat that has wee turnup / band that you could fit the magnets into….regular wooly hat does the job.)

Place one each side of your temples. Make sure the magnets are opposite polarity.

What I mean is if you are holding the pair, gently slide them flat beside each other -now you’ve separated them, and it’s clear one has negative polarity and the other is positive.

mine have leather wrapped with red on one side black on other but doubt you’ll have the clear marking.

you don’t Want them pushing each other away is what I mean.

leave on your hat/ head at least 30 minutes or longer if it’s helping. Consider moving them to the front if it’s a stress head. Again side by side above your eyes. Or also at the back of your head of the pain is there again side by side.

+   /   -     

oh. And drink water. Hydration is important for the adjustment of PH.

94156DFD-11B9-4878-80A2-55B070D0890D.png

Edited by Honeybarrel

On 11/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, Honeybarrel said:

oh. And drink water. Hydration is important for the adjustment of PH.

Proper hydration and enough mineral rich salt  was a miracle for my fibro myalgia.  Chondromalacia patella (knee pain) and bone on bone vertabrae and collapsed(withered) discs were benefitted by this practice as well, dementia from too much water was quickly improved by adding enough mineral rich salt to my diet.  Even refined salt with H2o will help/work in the short term, or emergency use but  is not as natural a choice.  I use the cheaper RealSalt product as a clean source from ancient salt layers now being mined.  Still using it about 15 yrs now!

I learned this from a great Dr who wrote "The Body's Many Cries for Water" ~ WaterCure | The Miracles of Water to Cure Diseases. "You're not sick; you're thirsty. Don't treat thirst with medication." Dr. F. Batmanghelidj.  This was a life changer and just the experiment of adding BACK sodium was a BIG part of removing 15 yrs of chronic pain in a matter of weeks.  So obvious a change I was know as the water/salt sister for a while. 

*Also if you tend to have chronic pain consider giving up wheat products, gluten and mill processed grains for a month.  The acidic residue makes calcium sufaces soften and swell causing pain. 

18 hours ago, Geralyn said:

Proper hydration and enough mineral rich salt  was a miracle for my fibro myalgia.  Chondromalacia patella (knee pain) and bone on bone vertabrae and collapsed(withered) discs were benefitted by this practice as well, dementia from too much water was quickly improved by adding enough mineral rich salt to my diet.  Even refined salt with H2o will help/work in the short term, or emergency use but  is not as natural a choice.  I use the cheaper RealSalt product as a clean source from ancient salt layers now being mined.  Still using it about 15 yrs now!

I learned this from a great Dr who wrote "The Body's Many Cries for Water" ~ WaterCure | The Miracles of Water to Cure Diseases. "You're not sick; you're thirsty. Don't treat thirst with medication." Dr. F. Batmanghelidj.  This was a life changer and just the experiment of adding BACK sodium was a BIG part of removing 15 yrs of chronic pain in a matter of weeks.  So obvious a change I was know as the water/salt sister for a while. 

*Also if you tend to have chronic pain consider giving up wheat products, gluten and mill processed grains for a month.  The acidic residue makes calcium sufaces soften and swell causing pain. 

Excellent advice Sister. 👍🏽

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, lovjahupepl said:

Actually as an update: I got a suggestion via private msg and tried it.  I was back to normal in about 1 week.

Would you mind sharing what you did? You can also share it via PM if preferred.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:26 AM, Geralyn said:

Proper hydration and enough mineral rich salt  was a miracle for my fibro myalgia.  Chondromalacia patella (knee pain) and bone on bone vertabrae and collapsed(withered) discs were benefitted by this practice as well, dementia from too much water was quickly improved by adding enough mineral rich salt to my diet. 

Wow! That’s interesting!! Great to hear! 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥