JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our History in Motion

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 866 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, Godskingdomrules said:

Does anyone know the older song they played in the last bit of the video, our brothers and sisters in the former Soviet Union were singing it at there convention in 1992. The song brought back many memories:).

God’s Great and Wondrous Works - number 84 in the 1984 songbook

4 hours ago, Keep Fighting said:

Plesase help me understand, Im a little bit slow.

so why did we stop singing between 1938-44?

At the time (1930s) we did not believe that ANY religion could be true.  ALL religion was false and a work produced by Satan. There was true worship and false religion.

Our organization was organized like a business.  Our GB was  composed of Legal Directors of the Watchtower Corporation.  Our congregations quit using the term "Ecclesias" (religious) and were formed as incorporated "Companies".  My Kingdom Hall had its original charter framed on the library wall.  We were the Willoughby Company of Jehovah's Witnesses, Incorporated.   We had legal officers and so on.  Anything that moved us away from the idea of  "religion" was best.

Ask yourself, do Corporations or Companies sing each time they meet?  Probably not.  Even Br. Knorr was focused on the business end, factories, world-wide printing and shipping and factory organization (like time-and-motion study).  But as time went on, we added the Gilead and Kingdom Ministry Schools.  And then the Theocratic Ministry Schools in local "Companies".  So by 1944 we again added singing to our meetings. By 1950-1951, we added the idea that there could be a "TRUE" religion as well as a false one.

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

At the time (1930s) we did not believe that ANY religion could be true.  ALL religion was false and a work produced by Satan. There was true worship and false religion.

Our organization was organized like a business.  Our GB was  composed of Legal Directors of the Watchtower Corporation.  Our congregations quit using the term "Ecclesias" (religious) and were formed as incorporated "Companies".  My Kingdom Hall had its original charter framed on the library wall.  We were the Willoughby Company of Jehovah's Witnesses, Incorporated.   We had legal officers and so on.  Anything that moved us away from the idea of  "religion" was best.

Ask yourself, do Corporations or Companies sing each time they meet?  Probably not.  Even Br. Knorr was focused on the business end, factories, world-wide printing and shipping and factory organization (like time-and-motion study).  But as time went on, we added the Gilead and Kingdom Ministry Schools.  And then the Theocratic Ministry Schools in local "Companies".  So by 1944 we again added singing to our meetings. By 1950-1951, we added the idea that there could be a "TRUE" religion as well as a false one.

Im sorry to say this, no wonder I didnt understand this. I have to read more about this. Anyway thank you. 

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our organization was organized like a business

Thank you Brother John for all of your historical information, now I understand why you keep all of the older publications! 

friends wink GIF

Also my wife asked, " where is part 1 " , couldn't find it?