JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Malaria Video

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 867 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

17 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but did anyone notice the video about protecting yourself from malaria disappeared from the website? Anyone have an idea why? I have a theory (although likely wrong lol) 

Okay, I'll bite. What is your theory? A bug? A virus?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but did anyone notice the video about protecting yourself from malaria disappeared from the website? Anyone have an idea why? I have a theory (although likely wrong lol) 

Malaria is most prominent in equatorial countries and south.  This is their "Spring" and entering their "Summer" weather which may be conducive to the pread of mosquitoes that carry the disease.  We don't want publishers to survive Covid only to fall victim to malaria. It is 'a word to the wise'.

I posted an article in another topic that brings up the point that being previously infected with malaria may help one resist covid-19.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f

An excerpt from the article:

“We went into this project thinking we would see a higher rate of negative outcomes in people with a history of malaria infections because that’s what was seen in patients co-infected with malaria and Ebola,” said Jane Achan, a senior research advisor at the Malaria Consortium and a co-author of the study. “We were actually quite surprised to see the opposite — that malaria may have a protective effect.”

Achan said this may suggest that past infection with malaria could “blunt” the tendency of people’s immune systems to go into overdrive when they are infected with COVID-19. The research was presented Friday at a meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

51 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I was wondering if it was because of the WHO logo in the video. It was really big and prominent, seemed a little odd.  But that might have had nothing to do with it. 

Why would WHO has to do with the video removal? Our publication has quoted from them a lot in the past, and it seemed fitting that a video about medical stuff would include an advice from WHO.

Edited by Hinata

On 11/25/2021 at 9:22 PM, Hinata said:

Why would WHO has to do with the video removal? Our publication has quoted from them a lot in the past, and it seemed fitting that a video about medical stuff would include an advice from WHO.

It wasn’t the advice, it was the WHO logo I was talking about 

14 hours ago, carlos said:

I think that's it. Probably in areas where malaria is a problem they had a local needs talk that included this video.

I doubt that, there have been several times where we have had a video posted for elders only, It’s not necessary for them to post on the  JW.org. public site. Whatever the issue, I think that possibility is the most unlikely. 

Edited by Anthony

I doubt that, there have been several times where we have had a video posted for elders only, It’s not necessary for them to post on the  JW.org. public site. Whatever the issue, I think that possibility is the most unlikely. 

It has happened before. The brothers share an item with every publisher, not just elders, and then remove it after some time.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, JW2017 said:

Does anyone know how to find the new video on Protecting Yourself from Malaria is?  I saw it in recent weeks.  But haven't watched it.  Now it's not with Latest Videos and I can't find it in searching.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sr. Whitney, I have sent you a PM with the link to the video.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:53 AM, carlos said:

But why would the brothers make a video with the WHO logo, then remove it because of that logo? We are not against the WHO, are we?

No we are not but it could give the appearance that we sponsor them or are in some partnership with them. They are a part of the United Nations and as I’m sure you are aware, there was a situation years ago where some people tried to misconstrue our dealings with the United Nations media arm. I was simply saying it’s likely they decided that someone could get the wrong impression by featuring that logo do prominently. 

25 minutes ago, Anthony said:

No we are not but it could give the appearance that we sponsor them or are in some partnership with them. They are a part of the United Nations and as I’m sure you are aware, there was a situation years ago where some people tried to misconstrue our dealings with the United Nations media arm. I was simply saying it’s likely they decided that someone could get the wrong impression by featuring that logo do prominently. 

We could edit a logo if that was a problem.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:45 AM, Thesauron said:

It has happened before. The brothers share an item with every publisher, not just elders, and then remove it after some time.

Can you give me an example? The only time I’ve seen that happen is for it to be posted for the elders, then the elders share it. I have never seen an occurrence of a video being posted on the public website and then removed. I’ve seen it move sections but not disappear completely. I oversee av at my congregation so I pay close to videos .  

Can you give me an example? The only time I’ve seen that happen is for it to be posted for the elders, then the elders share it. I have never seen an occurrence of a video being posted on the public website and then removed. I’ve seen it move sections but not disappear completely. I oversee av at my congregation so I pay close to videos .  

We had videos here that was specific for the Scandinavia branch territory. They were used and then removed.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, Anthony said:

There also were videos about Ramapo AV project. After the week the video was scheduled to be played, the video was taken offline from the public web site.

Clearly the Ramapo project wouldn't have anything to do with WHO.

Personally, I would prefer these videos to stay online so we can always refer to them, but what can I say.