JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mind-numbing 'natural' disasters coming one after another. What next on the list?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 849 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Reading the news nowadays can be a heart stopping experience. What with the pandemic turning our lives upside down, the recent tornadoes have been giving experts a hard time getting their heads around the man-made climate catastrophe. It's causing so much hardships and devastation but do people realized the significance of the events happening in the world today?

More doomsday scenarios?

https://news.yahoo.com/cracks-could-cause-key-ice-214644535.html

Cracks could cause key ice shelf holding back "Doomsday Glacier" to collapse        December 14, 2021

Scientists have detected new cracks in the key ice shelf that buttresses Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier, indicating that the ice shelf could break apart within the next five years.

Why it matters: The destruction of the ice shelf could accelerate the movement of inland ice into the sea, eventually causing sea levels to rise by several feet and endangering coastal communities worldwide, per the Washington Post.

Spoiler

image.png.ec25add3c1ecfee4008594e7dd81c81f.png

2 hours ago, happiness IS said:

Reading the news nowadays can be a heart stopping experience. What with the pandemic turning our lives upside down, the recent tornadoes have been giving experts a hard time getting their heads around the man-made climate catastrophe. It's causing so much hardships and devastation but do people realized the significance of the events happening in the world today?

More doomsday scenarios?

Cracks could cause key ice shelf holding back "Doomsday Glacier" to collapse        December 14, 2021

Scientists have detected new cracks in the key ice shelf that buttresses Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier, indicating that the ice shelf could break apart within the next five years.

Why it matters: The destruction of the ice shelf could accelerate the movement of inland ice into the sea, eventually causing sea levels to rise by several feet and endangering coastal communities worldwide, per the Washington Post.

Hide contents

Me and my wife have speculated that Jehovah is allowing global warming to happen because it means that there will be less time needed in the new world for places like Greenland and Antartica to become habitable.  

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I just learned what a "bomb cyclone" was when New York was getting hit by them a few years ago.  Now, here, in what is supposed to be one of the mildest climates in the northern hemisphere got hit with two of them.  And atmospheric rivers filling the gaps between the bomb cyclones.  A lot of these crazy weather events only get reported locally for some reason.  I can't imagine what has happened that we never heard about.

1 hour ago, coolbrz731 said:

Me and my wife have speculated that Jehovah is allowing global warming to happen because it means that there will be less time needed in the new world for places like Greenland and Antartica to become habitable.  

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I just learned what a "bomb cyclone" was when New York was getting hit by them a few years ago.  Now, here, in what is supposed to be one of the mildest climates in the northern hemisphere got hit with two of them.  And atmospheric rivers filling the gaps between the bomb cyclones.  A lot of these crazy weather events only get reported locally for some reason.  I can't imagine what has happened that we never heard about.

We will have enough room even without Greenland and Antarctica. Penquins need a place to live too. The deserts will blossom. Isaiah 35:1

1 hour ago, coolbrz731 said:

I think about bomb cyclones too, having only recently experienced them along with you. Here in PNW our weather is moderate but wow! Our recent weather has been unbelievable. Atmospheric rivers? I'd be ok if we never get another one but it looks like it's going to be our new normal, for a while anyway. And remembering the summer, because it was so hot inland we were socked in with fog here on the ocean until it cleared and then we had 118 degrees! Hottest since keeping records in the late 1800's! 

People are being dramatic, weather is being dramatic. Crazy.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

36 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

I think about bomb cyclones too, having only recently experienced them along with you. Here in PNW our weather is moderate but wow! Our recent weather has been unbelievable. Atmospheric rivers? I'd be ok if we never get another one but it looks like it's going to be our new normal, for a while anyway. And remembering the summer, because it was so hot inland we were socked in with fog here on the ocean until it cleared and then we had 118 degrees! Hottest since keeping records in the late 1800's! 

People are being dramatic, weather is being dramatic. Crazy.

Ironically, I was driving back from southern California at the peak of the heat wave.  It's nuts that the rest stop in the middle of the Mojave desert was cool compared to central WA.  I think the west side was about the same temperature as the Mojave.

I would be devastating for the Tundra areas be warming up. There is a incredible ecosystem there to be explored and not seen anywhere on earth : the birds, the animals and vegetation that can survive such a harsh environment. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/tundras-explained/

Perma Defrost

The Arctic's permafrost, the literal foundation for much of the region's unique ecosystem, is deteriorating with the warmer global climate. Permafrost is a layer of frozen soil and dead plants that extends some 450 meters (1,476 feet) below the surface. In much of the Arctic, it is frozen year-round. In the southern regions of the Arctic, the surface layer above the permafrost melts during the summer, and this forms bogs and shallow lakes that invite an explosion of animal life. Insects swarm around the bogs, and millions of migrating birds come to feed on them.

Spoiler

image.png.d99cdf50ac85b43fc2660a4a0164ff1c.png

Wow, I didn't know that. I have always thought it was just blocks of icebergs. Some science minded friends might find it interesting to investigate further the incredible wild life in this frozen landscape. I wonder why Eskimos still continue to live under such unfriendly conditions. 

Edited by happiness IS

13 hours ago, happiness IS said:

More doomsday scenarios?

Hide contents

Yeah, Global Warming is accelerating at record pace now and will increase more rapidly now. We’re on course for a 2 and 3 degree warming based on our CO2 levels in our atmosphere and all of the other greenhouse gases, combined were at 500 ppm as of 2020. All of the disasters we are seeing are feedback loops of Global Warming, because man has ruined the earth by putting pollution in our atmosphere and ground.

8 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

Ironically, I was driving back from southern California at the peak of the heat wave.  It's nuts that the rest stop in the middle of the Mojave desert was cool compared to central WA.  I think the west side was about the same temperature as the Mojave.

I also heard it was as hot as Vegas. Our area isn't designed for such extremes in weather. Here on the coast we can even grow food in winter. But during that heat wave we had lots of trees, shrubs and plants get burned like a fire had gone through. I lost growth on many. Had to cut some back to sticks. It was weird. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Arctic heat record is like Mediterranean, says UN

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59649066

The highest temperature ever recorded in the Arctic, 38C (100F), has been officially confirmed, sounding "alarm bells" over Earth's changing climate.

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday verified the record, reported in the Siberian town of Verkhoyansk on 20 June last year.

The temperature was 18C higher than the area's average daily maximum for June.

The WMO, a UN agency, said the extreme heat was "more befitting the Mediterranean than the Arctic".

It is the first time the agency has included the Arctic Circle in its archive of extreme weather reports.

The WMO said the 38C temperature was measured at a meteorological station during "an exceptional and prolonged Siberian heatwave".

11 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Arctic heat record is like Mediterranean, says UN

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59649066

The highest temperature ever recorded in the Arctic, 38C (100F), has been officially confirmed, sounding "alarm bells" over Earth's changing climate.

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday verified the record, reported in the Siberian town of Verkhoyansk on 20 June last year.

The temperature was 18C higher than the area's average daily maximum for June.

The WMO, a UN agency, said the extreme heat was "more befitting the Mediterranean than the Arctic".

It is the first time the agency has included the Arctic Circle in its archive of extreme weather reports.

The WMO said the 38C temperature was measured at a meteorological station during "an exceptional and prolonged Siberian heatwave".

So on June 20, 2020 it was 38C, What’s even more mind numbing is that on that June 20, 2021 exactly one year later to the day, it broke record again at 48C

https://gizmodo.com/ground-temperatures-hit-118-degrees-in-the-arctic-circl-1847144505

Edited by Lewis

11 hours ago, coolbrz731 said:

When your saying become habitable are you saying there wont be any ice and snow?, If so I would have to disagree. The science says differently and once Jehovah cleans up the atmosphere from all the pollution like excess CO2 and other greenhouse gases, earth will rebound and reform back to what it was. Jehovah isn’t making ice melt or causing these disasters, man is the cause of this, its because of our actions that the problems in the arctic/Greenland and Antarctica are happening.

Have a look at this video of this scientist named Jason Box explaining about Greenland and its history of the last 6000 years.

https://youtu.be/P6LrGetz10g?t=413   11 min video clip (Nov 12, 2021)

Greenland is beyond its threshold of viability and is highly responsive to anthropogenic warming. Here Professor Jason Box gives an in-depth explanation of the processes that are not currently in climate models that are leading us towards a 'Faster Than Forecast' impacts from the collapse of the ice sheet.

Excerpt from transcript

The community is delivering a list of amplifiers that guarantee a more rapid response of the ice than is currently encoded in ice sheet models used to project sea level rise. Therefore we cannot yet rely on ice sheet models for credible sea level projections, What we do know are these physical mechanisms. One is the darkening of the surface because of the doubled melt that's occurring at the surface that's producing flooded areas saturated snow. It's kind of blue in color so it's reflecting a lot less sunlight by virtue of the fact that it's water saturated. Talking about the peak part of the melt season and then rainfall which is occurring more frequently at the expense of snowfall because temperatures are crossing that threshold. That's zero degree. it's a real kind of genuine tipping point that makes the surface darker. It's absorbing more sunlight amplifying melt. A similar darkness related amplifier not in the models is biological darkening microbial activity that has the capacity to expand further. In fact it is expanding when the bare ice area which occurs at the lowest reaches

Tired scientists racing against time to predict the rate the ice is melting and timestamp 13.52 states 'projection is one meter this century from all land ice' It's noteworthy that the countries in the tropics will be the worst affected by the rising sea level. Countries in South East Asia like Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Mekong River in Vietnam at el. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2021/dec/17/one-month-old-baby-rescued-after-typhoon-rai-hits-philippines-video

Our families in the Philippines had a very rough 24 hours. Maximum wind gust of 213km/h and maximum sustained winds of 176km/h from typhoon Rai just pummelled them through the night. 

Hardly had any sleep at all, with threats of roofs flying and windows/doors breaking, my parents woke up to this. 

Their 50+ meters fruit bearing Mango Tree just fell, thankfully not toward my parent's house, but towards the road outside.😥

ps: The wire you can see across is a live electrical wire from fallen posts damaged by the tree.

mango.jpg

Edited by Female Frodo

How Hurricanes Form And Why They're Getting Stronger   Sep 24, 2021

And once they've reached 74 mph, the storm officially becomes a hurricane. Though if this happens in the northwest Pacific Ocean,

they're actually called typhoons. And if this happens in the south Pacific or the Indian Ocean, they're called cyclones.

Only when they're in the eastern Pacific or the Atlantic Ocean are they called hurricanes.

Please Sister Carna, tell your family to chop all tall trees near your family's home. Especially when they are in between electric cables. I've never experienced a typhoon before but when I arrived from Kuala Lumpur to Clark airport, a tropical storm has just lashed Luzon and it was frightening enough going from Clark City to Manila at 1 am. Please send my warm regards to your family.

Edited by happiness IS

68 ° F is 20 °C  (nice cool weather) but there is something not right there with the big difference from previous years. Those tornadoes that hit South US recently are getting more numerous and moving more slowly. Bad signs of worse weather conditions.

https://news.yahoo.com/large-intense-heat-waves-popping-120215737.html   December 17, 2021

Large, intense heat waves popping up more frequently around Northern Hemisphere

The risk of large heat waves happening simultaneously in at least two parts of the Northern Hemisphere is growing due to global warming and its effects on atmospheric circulation

Driving the news: The research examined climate data from 1979 to 2019 and found a six-fold increase in the number of simultaneous large heat waves occurring in the Northern Hemisphere warm season between the 1980s and 2010s.

• During the same period, the heat events grew in size and intensified

Details: While heat waves themselves can pose huge risks to human health, with hundreds of deaths attributed to last summer’s Pacific Northwest heat wave, for example, they can also prime the environment for wildfires and affect agriculture.

• That research identified specific patterns of the jet stream, which steers storms, that are associated with heat extremes that tend to occur simultaneously in different breadbasket regions.
  • One such pattern, for example, can cause heat waves to break out in central North America, Eastern Europe and East Asia

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.53fea55b5f8a21a32bbe7839ebc0fb92.png

2 minutes ago, happiness IS said:

https://news.yahoo.com/large-intense-heat-waves-popping-120215737.html   December 17, 2021

Large, intense heat waves popping up more frequently around Northern Hemisphere

The risk of large heat waves happening simultaneously in at least two parts of the Northern Hemisphere is growing due to global warming and its effects on atmospheric circulation

Driving the news: The research examined climate data from 1979 to 2019 and found a six-fold increase in the number of simultaneous large heat waves occurring in the Northern Hemisphere warm season between the 1980s and 2010s.

• During the same period, the heat events grew in size and intensified

Details: While heat waves themselves can pose huge risks to human health, with hundreds of deaths attributed to last summer’s Pacific Northwest heat wave, for example, they can also prime the environment for wildfires and affect agriculture.

• That research identified specific patterns of the jet stream, which steers storms, that are associated with heat extremes that tend to occur simultaneously in different breadbasket regions.
  • One such pattern, for example, can cause heat waves to break out in central North America, Eastern Europe and East Asia

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.53fea55b5f8a21a32bbe7839ebc0fb92.png

It was so bad here because many people still think like I did in the early 2010's.  I told my wife, who's from Louisiana, "You don't need to waste money paying extra for ac in a car.  We need that what, 4 or 5 days during the entire summer?".  The heat wave caught a lot of people unawares.  Lowes and Home Depot were sold out of window and portable ac's.  And they weren't getting new stock.  Even though this happened a couple of years ago.  People still think like "Things have been the same since my father's generation".  They "take no note until the [heat] comes and sweeps them away".

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/1/interactive-mapping-hottest-temperatures-around-world   1 Jul 2021

Record-breaking temperatures

On June 29, Lytton, a small town about 200km (124 miles) from Vancouver, hit 49.6C (121F), setting a national record for the highest temperature ever recorded across Canada. Schools, universities and vaccination centres were closed across British Columbia.

Just south of the border in the US state of Oregon, the city of Portland hit an all-time high of 46.6C (116F), breaking the previous high of 41.6C (107F), first set in 1965.

Spoiler

image.png.67663c75bd58d96399d9ec67a7f53d82.png

Kuwait – the hottest place on Earth in 2021

On June 22, the Kuwaiti city of Nuwaiseeb recorded the highest temperature in the world so far this year at 53.2C (127.7F)

image.png.c5ad07babe76a4425910503726e5152f.png

Spoiler

heatwave2.png.4bf91e75f608f3a3fff0a9f40d8012d4.png

Edited by happiness IS

A warming atmosphere is creating concern in the Arctic Circle and on the continent of Antarctica. The Arctic Report Card shows high temperatures, shrinking sea ice and extreme melting events are transforming the region. At the opposite pole, in Antarctica, a key ice shelf that sits in front of the Thwaites Glacier could break up much sooner than expected — within 5 years. 

Edited by happiness IS

On 12/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, happiness IS said:

How Hurricanes Form And Why They're Getting Stronger   Sep 24, 2021

Please Sister Carna, tell your family to chop all tall trees near your family's home. Especially when they are in between electric cables. I've never experienced a typhoon before but when I arrived from Kuala Lumpur to Clark airport, a tropical storm has just lashed Luzon and it was frightening enough going from Clark City to Manila at 1 am. Please send my warm regards to your family.

Thanks sis, yes thankfully its all cleared up now. My parents are temporary residents and the tree was the last one before it all get demolished anyway. The reason I posted this photo is that geographically where my parents are, they do not suffer disaster in that degree, where healthy trees get fallem down by a storm,as they are surrounded by mountains on the east/southeast where storm come from. Nothing like that in our lifetime.  But as your title says, its mind blowing. Weather is changing rapidly.😟