JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apply Yourself to Reading and Writing

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 856 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This lovely little brochure is now online. It has helped many to learn to read and write. It goes well with our recent article and video about the subject.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Apply-Yourself-to-Reading-and-Writing/

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

30 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

This lovely little brochure is now online. It has helped many to learn to read and write. It goes well with our recent article and video about the subject.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Apply-Yourself-to-Reading-and-Writing/

I wonder why to online version has changed the cover color to PINK?  The printed booklet and the previous PDF version was BLUE.  Both gave the same copyright date of 1997.

rw2.JPG

rw.JPG

I wonder why to online version has changed the cover color to PINK?  The printed booklet and the previous PDF version was BLUE.  Both gave the same copyright date of 1997.

rw2.JPG.1a567e5e9f2dfb1a93a92c8522f70766.JPG
rw.JPG.afb85c4fc3d2ec3be730093490ed8f29.JPG

Not sure, but the pink one is the February 2015 printing. Could have to do with what the factory could produce at the time.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I should have used this booklet to teach my Bible student. She had only spend a total of  one year in school on account of the civil war in Liberia. But I doubt I would be able to get 2 copies from my small congregation. 3 language groups share the hall and the space for literature is limited. 

In the end I borrowed Ladybird reader books from the public library. She was so pleased reading about Peter and Jane, she bought at considerable cost books to send copies to her young children back home. I could have got those books cheaply from the thrift shop but she was doing a home based hair pieces business and making considerable money. 

spent perhaps a total of 12 months in a schoolhouse in his entire childhood. 

image.png.69e0beb66b310205c873a5250fdf096a.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, jwhess said:

rw2.JPG

rw.JPG

Maybe to attract more girls to Applying Themselves to Reading & Writing 😂

Edited by Susan Cook

On 12/24/2021 at 12:33 AM, jwhess said:

Slightly different approach was begun in 1920 with our children.  It was a "primer" type booklet outlining the "ABCs".  The publication was called "The Golden Age ABC".

That is interesting. I wonder what words they chose for U, V, W, X, Y and Z. Maybe something like Xerxes?

Edit: Now I really am curious. Even the Insight doesn’t have any entries under X.

Edited by Hinata

7 hours ago, Hinata said:

That is interesting. I wonder what words they chose for U, V, W, X, Y and Z. Maybe something like Xerxes?

Edit: Now I really am curious. Even the Insight doesn’t have any entries under X.

The publication is printed so the left-hand page has the Letter and a paragraph of explanation and the right-hand page (opposite when opened) has the Capital Letter and a picture from the PhotoDrama slide.

ga1.JPG

ga2.JPG

ga3.JPG

ga4.JPG

On 12/23/2021 at 12:19 AM, jwhess said:

There is a technical explanation to that. The brochure is printed in two colors: black and, in this case, a blueish ink (seems like cyan with some magenta added to the composition). Apparently, when they had such publications, the second color was coded as magenta in the digital output. I remember when we first started receiving Our Kingdom Ministry PDF's, back when there were six rotating colors, all colors were magenta in the PDF, while the colors in print were matching the color on the cover of the study edition of The Watchtower for that given month.