JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coronavirus and the world

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 830 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Recently  we are seeing a huge increase in covid cases in the world and particularly in the US. 

I Still don't get it. 

Have not the American population vaccinated  with two doses. 

In India too the cases have started to increase but not like what is going on in US and the UK.

Here in India most of the people(99%) are very casual now towards this virus. They use a name sake mask.  No sanitizers.

Based on the population..

the cases are very less percentage vise. Many have taken atleast one dose.

Business is dull but otherwise the fear and worry of this virus is not seen. 

So pls tell why are there so  much cases in many parts of the world. 

In my case itself I have taken two doses of sputnik.  And I too am little casual when meeting people as they come to my small shop (11×11). They travel in public transportation only. 

I was reading in another thread that two times vaccinated people are also getting covid again.  So my question is...

those who are getting covid in US ... ARE THEY TWO TIMES VACCINATED? 

I need more information ( preferably with news link) that vaccinated people are at danger too ( if they really are)

Ty.

(about 74.6% of the total U.S. population) have received at least one dose. About 62.7% of the total population is fully vaccinated

About 94% of the U.S. population over 16 has gotten at least one dose, and about 79% of those over 16 are fully vaccinated. About 73.4% of the adult population is fully vaccinated.

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/ccg/interactives/us-vaccine-tracker/vax_us_cdc.html

Gallup's March and April COVID-19 surveys found no dominant reason among vaccine-reluctant individuals for their intention not to get vaccinated. The most common reasons given were wanting to confirm the vaccine was safe (23%) and a belief they would not get seriously ill from the virus (20%). Slightly fewer expressed concerns about the timeline for developing the vaccine (16%) or mistrust of vaccines in general (16%). Ten percent said they already have immunity because they have had COVID-19, while 10% cite allergies or concern about allergies as the reason they do not plan to get vaccinated.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/350720/covid-vaccine-reluctant-likely-stay.aspx

My daughter who is fully vaccinated and boosted got covid last week from a coworker who is also fully vaccinated and boosted. My son-in-law is also fully vaccinated and boosted and he too got covid from my daughter, his wife.  We have had several cases of ones who are fully vaccinated and boosted getting covid in the last couple of weeks.  The good news is so far none have had to be be hospitalized.   We are now having cases of ones in the nursing homes who are fully vaccinated and boosted getting covid.  Personally, I think it's largely in part to people becoming more complacent and no longer wearing masks, social distancing or taking other preventative measures.

*I know this is not from a news source but it is first hand knowledge.

Edited by Polka Dot

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

16 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

those who are getting covid in US ... ARE THEY TWO TIMES VACCINATED? 

Some are.  Some are not.  Covid vaccination has become a hotly debated political topic here.  

The numbers say nearly every adult in the US has received at least 1 shot and that nearly 3/4 of all adults are fully vaccinated.  However, if you listen to the news and the way people talk on social media, you would get the impression the numbers are actually lower.  So, either the numbers are wrong or people on social media are lying and they are really vaccinated while claiming to reject the vaccine.

And none of the information I provided above mentioned anything about the booster shots.  According to this site:  https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/pharmacy/states-ranked-by-booster-rates.html  about 36% or just over 1/3 have received the booster.

From Reuters news....

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/most-reported-us-omicron-cases-have-hit-fully-vaccinated-cdc-2021-12-10/

"Most of the 43 COVID-19 cases caused by the Omicron variant identified in the United States so far were in people who were fully vaccinated, and a third of them had received a booster dose, according to a U.S. report published on Friday."

***My personal observation.... everyone that I personally know that is fully vaccinated and boosted has done well overall when they contacted covid.

Edited by Polka Dot

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

4 hours ago, Polka Dot said:

From Reuters news....

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/most-reported-us-omicron-cases-have-hit-fully-vaccinated-cdc-2021-12-10/

"Most of the 43 COVID-19 cases caused by the Omicron variant identified in the United States so far were in people who were fully vaccinated, and a third of them had received a booster dose, according to a U.S. report published on Friday."

Remember that article is dated December 10 when Omicron was still new and only starting to spread. This preliminary data demonstrated that Omicron had a greater ability to evade vaccines as far as infection was concerned, but the vaccines were still proven to be effective in keep you out of the hospital. Since then, the Omicron wave has taken over most of the world, but the grand majority of those who end up in the hospital because of it are the unvaccinated. No vaccine = no protection.

4 hours ago, Polka Dot said:

My personal observation.... everyone that I personally know that is fully vaccinated and boosted has done well overall when they contacted covid.

Yes, this is most certainly the case. I only know of one who didn't fare well, but he had hypertension, diabetes, kidney problems and just about every comorbidity you could think of, plus he was very elderly. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Something to consider, and to each his own ...

Truly no one knows to what extent the masking, isolating, vaxing, shutdowns have truly had on the spread of covid.   Were the precautions a mere delay?  Were they somewhat effective?  We can't know for sure because we don't have a control population to compare it to.  It's speculation.  And there are members of each side of the fence that can provide data based support for their belief.  

What IS known, is that, while "putting out" one fire (COVID), suicide attempts have dramatically increased.  "Non-essential" surgeries have been delayed, quite likely leading to health deterioration.  People have lost their lives for fear of going to hospitals/doctors when they needed non-COVID attention but were afraid to leave thier homes.

What bothers me most about the situation therefore is not the appraisal of the vaccine's effectiveness, its the way the media handled COVID in general, some people almost using it as a podium to promote fear and hatred for one another.   Accompanied by a worldwide audience combined of both people  eager to hate, and innocent people driven to terror.

I don't think satan created the virus, but I think he sure knew how to use it for his purposes.

Just my honest tired opinion. 

Edited by Michelle81

Oh I know what you mean. Looking back (and hindsight is such a valuable tool) we can see how apt the scripture is being fulfilled - 

“I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step“ Jer 10:23

That is how this whole sad and sorry history of man’s existence is simply explained. The confusing, convoluted and catastrophic way our leaders have handled the pandemic has exposed the unkindness and brutality of doing things without Jehovah’s direction. 

And in contrast, how safe and calm have we felt with Jehovah’s loving care under the GB’s measured and balanced advice in these fearful times?

1 hour ago, Michelle81 said:

Something to consider, and to each his own ...

Truly no one knows to what extent the masking, isolating, vaxing, shutdowns have truly had on the spread of covid.   Were the precautions a mere delay?  Were they somewhat effective?  We can't know for sure because we don't have a control population to compare it to.  It's speculation.  And there are members of each side of the fence that can provide data based support for their belief.  

What IS known, is that, while "putting out" one fire (COVID), suicide attempts have dramatically increased.  "Non-essential" surgeries have been delayed, quite likely leading to health deterioration.  People have lost their lives for fear of going to hospitals/doctors when they needed non-COVID attention but were afraid to leave thier homes.

What bothers me most about the situation therefore is not the appraisal of the vaccine's effectiveness, its the way the media handled COVID in general, some people almost using it as a podium to promote fear and hatred for one another.   Accompanied by a worldwide audience combined of both people  eager to hate, and innocent people driven to terror.

I don't think satan created the virus, but I think he sure knew how to use it for his purposes.

Just my honest tired opinion. 

I know more people than ever with the virus yet the official figures say it’s going down. My wife takes covid calls to do with the company she works for and it is far from going down. Thankfully most folks I know are just very bad headaches and fever. My friend in Canada told me a few days ago his friend had been on a ventilator since the 20th December. No other illnesses and very healthy but he was one of the ones badly affected. Hmmmm. 

Just before typing this message my youngest son was confirmed using a pcr test as having covid and we all need to isolate until the 26th. The lateral flow tests all came back negative. He has a fever and a bad headache. He is 11 and back in his bed. 

Suicide is terrible. My niece, an Uncle and cousins all resorted to ending their own lives over the years let alone attempts at it. Those left behind don’t ever really recover from that.
However covid would likely have taken many more lives than serious depression would. Hospital admissions from letting covid get completely out of control would have likely equally blocked those surgeries and probably more essential surgeries as well. 

It’s all a mess but we don’t really expect anything different during these last days unfortunately. 

One guarantee we do have is we know that all of this will soon be a permanent thing of the past.

I think when this becomes endemic, hopefully, there isn’t going to be a divide as there seems to be between vaxxed and unvaxxed. 

I just got my booster today, because for me I feel it will assist me fight it. Last week my vaccinated son and unvaccinated daughter got covid. They both recovered and said while not a minor illness, it was bearable with home cures, Panadol etc. Luckily, it wasn’t delta. 

But the latest Dr Campbell video I watched quoted scientists who said eventually those who will die of covid will be the same people who would have died with the flu. So, just like a flu season comes and goes, killing the more vulnerable, so will covid. 

But until then, we wade through the variants and keep safe as best as we can 🌹

Edited by hatcheckgirl