JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global Warming / Climate Change

18 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I think regardless of what causes it, it’s no doubt multifaceted. But regardless....the fact is the earth’s climate has always fluctuated and sometimes this causes problems.  Even if man has contributed to it,....it’s still a normal cycle of changes.

While climate change may be causing problems, it is not nearly our greatest threat.  I’m always taken aback by the passion of the climate change crowd. Almost like armageddon itself.   I did get a kick out of the little swede girl Greta Thunberg. :lol:

I think part of the problem Burt is people are mixing up the word climate change and global warming as the same, but in reality they are not. This may be part of the issue.  Global Warming is causing the climate to change in a runaway state from its feedback loops,. It actually hides what is really happening. Randall made mention of this and I like the way he worded it. I quoted here.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:40 AM, Witness1970 said:

I don't like the phrase 'climate change' because it hides what is happening.  The climate changes over time.  What we are seeing today is rapid climate change and unprecedented global warming.  This is not normal climate change.  It is humans ruining the earth.  The words climate change do not accurately convey the destruction that is going on.

3 hours ago, Lewis said:

I think part of the problem Burt is people are mixing up the word climate change and global warming as the same, but in reality they are not. This may be part of the issue.  Global Warming is causing the climate to change in a runaway state from its feedback loops,. It actually hides what is really happening. Randall made mention of this and I like the way he worded it. I quoted here.

Whether it’s global warming or climate change.....man has contributed to it.

But my main point  is,.... the earth has gone thru Cold and heat changes, regardless of what causes it. So we deal with it, but it’s not a threat to our existence as many assert. It has become very political and like a religion and treated as though this is armageddon itself....when in reality the earth normally cools and heats up by a few degrees over time. We feel the effects more now because of the great increase in population.  

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

May 2024 was warmer globally than any previous May in the ERA5 reanalysis dataset, going back to 1940, and was the twelfth month in a row that was the warmest in the ERA5 record for the respective month of the year.

“The climate continues to alarm us - the last 12 months have broken records like never before - caused primarily by our greenhouse gas emissions and an added boost from the El Niño event in the tropical Pacific. Until we reach net-zero global emissions the climate will continue to warm, will continue to break records, and will continue to produce more ever more extreme weather events,” said C3S Deputy Director Samantha Burgess. “If we choose to continue to add greenhouse gases to the atmosphere then 2023/4 will soon look like a cool year, in a similar way to how 2015/6 now appears."

If Satan can not rule the earth, he would be OK with ruining the earth for human habitation, and the governments are willing to go along with him.  

The Bible says that (Revelation 11:18) . . .to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.” 

Obviously, the ruining of the earth will continue until Jehovah puts a stop to it.  It will still be going on when Armageddon comes.

4 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

May 2024 was warmer globally than any previous May in the ERA5 reanalysis dataset, going back to 1940, and was the twelfth month in a row that was the warmest in the ERA5 record for the respective month of the year.

“The climate continues to alarm us - the last 12 months have broken records like never before - caused primarily by our greenhouse gas emissions and an added boost from the El Niño event in the tropical Pacific. Until we reach net-zero global emissions the climate will continue to warm, will continue to break records, and will continue to produce more ever more extreme weather events,” said C3S Deputy Director Samantha Burgess. “If we choose to continue to add greenhouse gases to the atmosphere then 2023/4 will soon look like a cool year, in a similar way to how 2015/6 now appears."

If Satan can not rule the earth, he would be OK with ruining the earth for human habitation, and the governments are willing to go along with him.  

The Bible says that (Revelation 11:18) . . .to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.” 

Obviously, the ruining of the earth will continue until Jehovah puts a stop to it.  It will still be going on when Armageddon comes.

And June is already on track for hottest so far.

15 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

it’s not a threat to our existence as many assert. 

I respect your view Burt, and I always enjoy your well-thought out comments.

For sure this is being politicised. Just see what the brothers are saying though. Scientists are not wrong in noting this is very different from other climate cycles. This one is man-made and is existential. These wicked humans know this too, but they are fulfilling scriptures - their uncaring attitude (2 Tim 3:1-5), and their judgement Rev 11:18.

One of many articles on JW.Org: 

Climate Change and Our Future—What the Bible Says

“Mankind faces a crisis of its own making. Most scientists agree that human activity is responsible for global warming. This rise in temperature has already changed the climate and brought disastrous consequences. These include the following:

•  More frequent and intense weather events, such as heat waves, droughts, and storms, which in turn cause more floods and wildfires.
  •  Melting glaciers and Arctic ice.
  •  Rising sea levels.”

Posted (edited)

Yes, it’s far beyond “political”. Humans are making catastrophic changes to the earth. And it would eventually be “existential”, if Jehovah had not already determined the “day and hour” to intervene. 

For example, oceans are the most polluted place on the planet, the world’s “toilet”, all pollutants and waste end up there; and unfurtunatejy, 50 to 70% of the oxygen we need is produced by the phytoplankton in the oceans. The other 30 to 50% of our oxygen is produced in forests, so, coupled with rampant deforestation on a scale never achievable before the Industrial Revolution, mankind is even destroying the earth’s ability to produce enough oxygen for breathing things! 

The “Great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning”, will no doubt be the total collapse of the world system & society, and the reason Jehovah calculated the “day and hour” that he must intervene, because Jesus said “unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved.

But, we’re also destroying this earth’s ability to support life, and that is a major reason mankind needs the Creator’s intervention and his Kingdom’s perfect management of earth.

You seem reluctant to “believe” it’s as bad as it is? I don’t understand?? Especially considering, Jehovah’s organization regularly reports on the indisputable, measurableunprecedented, ruining of every part of earth’s natural systems!

Edited by Just another lowly sheep

19 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Whether it’s global warming or climate change.....man has contributed to it.

But my main point  is,.... the earth has gone thru Cold and heat changes, regardless of what causes it. So we deal with it, but it’s not a threat to our existence as many assert. It has become very political and like a religion and treated as though this is armageddon itself....when in reality the earth normally cools and heats up by a few degrees over time. We feel the effects more now because of the great increase in population.  

Whatever you “think” you may “know” about earth’s past, is only based on scientists’ attempts to study “ice cores” and “tree rings” and such, and make educated hypotheses.

However, since about 1880, humans now have detailed documentation of climactic changes for the last 144 years, and the amount of change is shocking, and exponentially escalating, and the increasingly intensifying negative effects, have climate scientists universally frightened!

You fail to understand that “overall warming” of the planet by even 1 or 2 degrees, is already causing astounding glacial melt and rising sea levels!

Don’t you know that ice, for example, stays frozen at 32 degrees, but begins to melt at even just 1 degree warmer, at 33 degrees?? The impact and scope of every degree of warming is proving to be so much bigger than you comprehend. 

Before you can comment intelligently on this subject, you need to research “politically neutral” science-based news sources. Your statements are all based on the politically-motivated voices of “climate change deniers” and “right-wing Republican” political views. Our organization regular provides the neutral purely-science-based information on this subject, just read our publications and posts on the JW.org website, at the very least.

22 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I failed to site my sources when I posted this.  I will have to go back and look them up.

4 hours ago, Just another lowly sheep said:

Yes, it’s far beyond “political”. Humans are making catastrophic changes to the earth. And it would eventually be “existential”, if Jehovah had not already determined the “day and hour” to intervene. 

It’s not that I don’t believe it....it’s that it has been way overblown as an immediate existential threat to our existence.....that I believe is due to the hype for political reasons and financial gain etc....

Jehovah told Noah:  "From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night.”+

This indicates a stable system within a certain amount of fluctuation. But man cannot destroy the planet, Jehovah is not going to allow it. So I’m not in panic mode over climate change. 

I can hear the passion and urgency over climate change from the voices here. Just to reassure you; "We have nothing to fear but fear itself”. :lol:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 minute ago, Pjdriver said:

It’s not that I don’t believe it....it’s that it has been way overblown as an immediate existential threat to our existence.....that I believe is due to the hype for political reasons and financial gain etc....

Jehovah told Noah:  "From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night.”+

This indicates a stable system within a certain amount of fluctuation. But man cannot destroy the planet, Jehovah is not going to allow it. So I’m not in panic mode over climate change. 

I can hear the passion and urgency over climate change from the voices here. Just to reassure you; "We have nothing to fear but fear itself”. :lol:

A lot of people are dying due to heat-related problems.  Many people are going to the emergency room due to excessive heat. 

Some places have droughts due to lack of rainfall.  Places nearer to a body of water may have more rain caused by more evaporation from those bodies of water.  Excessive rainfall can cause death just like a drought can cause death.

We all know that Jehovah is not going to let the earth become uninhabitable.  Many deaths have been caused by the tremendous global warming caused by the excessive amounts of carbon dioxide added to the air constantly.  Mankind may slow down this excessive warming by changing their excessive use of fossil fuels, but only Jehovah can put an end to the  "ruining the earth".  Without Jehovah's intervention, the earth would eventually become uninhabitable.  By eventually, I mean in a matter of decades depending on what changes the human governments might make.

4 hours ago, Just another lowly sheep said:

However, since about 1880, humans now have detailed documentation of climactic changes for the last 144 years, and the amount of change is shocking, and exponentially escalating, and the increasingly intensifying negative effects, have climate scientists universally frightened!

While we have 144 years of recorded climate data, the Earth's climate history spans possibly millions of years. Much of this history includes periods of drastic climate changes, often more severe than what we've observed in the past century.

However, I understand that the current rate of climate change, is driven largely by human activities. It’s more serious now because of the population has increased dramatically and more people are affected. We see a similar effect with earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Let’s just sum this up by saying: Climate change is not an existential threat. Zero chance that will happen.  I think we all can agree on that.  Ya? :coffee:

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

A lot of people are dying due to heat-related problems.  Many people are going to the emergency room due to excessive heat. 

The problem I see is that now that we have climate change hammered into our brains....we will blame every disaster and heat or cold related deaths on it.  These things are nothing new. There have been great droughts and floods and storms, volcanic eruptions  and ice ages and heat waves etc....

since day one.

So while climate change may be happening and people die in these storms etc....it is FAR for being an existential threat, and a lot of hype created by politicians and for commercial interest.  

Edited by Pjdriver

24 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

So while climate change may be happening and people die in these storms etc....it is FAR for being an existential threat, and a lot of hype created by politicians and for commercial interest.  

No, simply no.  It is existential Burt.  Only Jehovah can stop the destruction of the earth's natural cycles.

"Does climate change fulfill Bible prophecy?
Yes. The climate crisis caused by global warming fits events the Bible foretold for our time.

Prophecy: God will “destroy those who are destroying the earth.”—Revelation 11:18, footnote.

The Bible foretold a time when human actions would bring the earth to the brink of ruin. As a result of global warming, people today are ruining the planet on an unprecedented scale.

This prophecy indicates one reason why we cannot expect humans to save the earth. Note that God will step in while people “are destroying the earth.” Whatever progress well-intentioned people make in the fight against climate change, it will not be enough to keep mankind from ruining the earth."

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/climate-change-global-warming-bible/

5 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

No, simply no.  It is existential Burt.  Only Jehovah can stop the destruction of the earth's natural cycles.

"Does climate change fulfill Bible prophecy?
Yes. The climate crisis caused by global warming fits events the Bible foretold for our time.

Prophecy: God will “destroy those who are destroying the earth.”—Revelation 11:18, footnote.

The Bible foretold a time when human actions would bring the earth to the brink of ruin. As a result of global warming, people today are ruining the planet on an unprecedented scale.

This prophecy indicates one reason why we cannot expect humans to save the earth. Note that God will step in while people “are destroying the earth.” Whatever progress well-intentioned people make in the fight against climate change, it will not be enough to keep mankind from ruining the earth."

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/climate-change-global-warming-bible/

Lucy, an existential threat is one that could lead to the extinction of humanity or collapse of civilization. Climate change is not an immediate existential threat in the sense of causing near-term human extinction. 

Climate change, if unchecked, has the potential to drastically alter the Earth's environment in ways that could threaten the long-term survival of human societies.....but you and I know this is not going to happen.

Some Scientists argue that while climate change is a serious issue, it is a gradual process that allows for adaptation over time. They contend that framing it as an immediate existential threat can create unnecessary panic.

To me it’s like me starting a topic over concern of WWIII and the build up of nuclear weapons and its threat to our existence.  It’s not going to happen. No need to panic, or be concerned about it. That’s all I’m saying. :coffee:

12 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

While we have 144 years of recorded climate data, the Earth's climate history spans possibly millions of years. Much of this history includes periods of drastic climate changes, often more severe than what we've observed in the past century.

However, I understand that the current rate of climate change, is driven largely by human activities. It’s more serious now because of the population has increased dramatically and more people are affected. We see a similar effect with earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Let’s just sum this up by saying: Climate change is not an existential threat. Zero chance that will happen.  I think we all can agree on that.  Ya? :coffee:

Im going to not use the word climate change here because it gives a bad description to what is really happening.

Prior to the 1700s, we can safely say that changes in weather fluctuations were not caused by anthropogenic but were of natural fluctuations. This fluctuation in weather since the flood to 1700s would have been quite stable and only had a fluctuation of about +/- 0.3C throughout that time period and we can measure that when we look at tree rings and ice cores with the help of computer models.

This would be comparing our planet circulating our sun in the Goldilocks zone, if you go further away from the sun the planet will be colder, if your closer the planet will be hotter and it is not ideal conditions for humans to live on. The same with this fluctuation of +/- 0.3C seems to be that Goldilocks zone for our weather for us to live on this planet. What was the weather like prior to the flood, who knows.

Since the 1700s, mankind started the Industrial Revolution and we started pumping more CO2 in our atmosphere along with pollution and therefore by doing so gave birth to Global Warming and Dimming. This new change would disrupt our weather like Goldilocks zone that we had and surpass the threshold we needed of +/- 0.3C to live in a stable condition.

Now we are at 1.63C, our weather is not stable and causing havoc globally and simultaneously.

In this graph here shows that the warm and cold period was not a planet wide phenomenon but a fluctuation of natural cycles. What we are going through now is not normal and is existential threat to Human life and all life if we continue in that direction. That tipping point has already been crossed I'm afraid.

IMG_1264.thumb.png.8b4a2dcac1328a19f79de3ef7188e8ac.png

I have to agree with brother Burt's summation - that all the global warming / climate change talk creates panic and fear in many. And that is something we don't need to do.

Panic and fear are negative emotions and we know who likes to foster those, don't we!

In the long term, climate change and global warming would be an existential threat, and for some, many even, it is threatening their lives right now.

But in the short term, which is between now and Armageddon, it isn't an existential threat, because human life as a whole isn't going to be wiped out by it.

We know that Jehovah isn't going to allow his human creation to be destroyed and I'm sure that none of us feel panic and fear of the things coming on the inhabited earth. 

Luke 21:26, 28.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:53 AM, Pjdriver said:

Scientist cannot say with certainty that this is not just another natural shift in earths temperature over millions of years.

Pjdriver, you fail to realize that statements like that are what have caused everyone to “debate” you on this. You sound like the “ridiculers” of 2 Peter 3:3, 4: “in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule… saying: ‘… Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.’ “

The scientific data shows that man has started an overall warming process that is accelerating and causing unprecedented disasterous results.

You keep saying you’re “not worried”. I mean, duh! No Witness is “worried” that man will destroy the earth or all life! It’s your downplaying of the problem that everyone is finding distasteful. You speak as if “nothing’s wrong, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning. It’s just made up lies and politics.”

Everyone else here recognizes these climate changes are part of the sign, and part of the evidence in the issue of Universal Sovereignty that man cannot manage this planet. It’s evidence supporting another reason why Jehovah must intervene.

Unbelievers are concerned, scientists are concerned, and our organization teaches that man is causing these things, and we show people these articles, which also teach them that Jehovah will solve it.

it is clear, that without Jehovah’s intervention, we would eventually make this earth uninhabitable. But no one is saying we will.

Edited by Just another lowly sheep

It really seems that Jehovah, in his infinite wisdom, is allowing this earth to be brought to the brink, after all who knows that the GT will not include such 'threats' as part of this time period. We are aware that 'unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved'.

Burt reminds us of the guiding hand of Jehovah, whilst Carl reminds us of the way humans have constantly abused the planet to the point of its failure. These are both things to keep in mind as we use them to help us to know for certain, that the day of reckoning moves ever closer. It cannot be far away.

1 hour ago, Just another lowly sheep said:

You sound like the “ridiculers” of 2 Peter 3:3, 4: “in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule… saying: ‘… Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.’ “

Brian, I’m not saying there’s not climate change.....but if I went on and on about the existential threat of nuclear war and the build up of weapons like never before in history....what would you think?

I think nuclear war is more of an existential threat.....yet no one here seems to be overly concerned about it. Are you? I’m not. :coffee:

3 hours ago, Just another lowly sheep said:

Pjdriver, you fail to realize that statements like that are what have caused everyone to “debate” you on this. You sound like the “ridiculers” of 2 Peter 3:3, 4: “in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule… saying: ‘… Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.’ “

The scientific data shows that man has started an overall warming process that is accelerating and causing unprecedented disasterous results.

If you understand science then you understand correlation <> causation.  What we are seeing are merely inferences based on observations.

For example, if we take the same chart that was posted earlier:

image.thumb.png.cc865bf73ee1aab299d82305e8bf9250.png

What caused the "medieval warm period"?

What caused the "Little ice age"?

I too find it funny that we see the big spike at the end and everyone wants to run to a conclusion of a cause: It MUST be mankind's fault!!!

Well whose fault was the "medieval warm period"?  Whose fault was the "little ice age"?  You can't blame one without blaming the rest!!  That's not very scientific.  In fact, that seems biased toward a specific conclusion.

Let's take this further...

image.thumb.png.3e6ce4fca175872511b904a4e1f32ca5.png

Please explain that period of stability while also blaming humans for climate change.  Kinda hard to do, isn't it?  🤔

On the flip side, if you dig deeper and look beyond the "obvious answer" that everyone so quickly sides with, you'll find there are other potential explanations for climate change.  Do you know how the earth orbits the sun?  It's not perfect...

image.png.7b375da301eca8048606d5c868e9d67c.png

Based on which part of the earth is getting a more direct blast from the sun, things could be hotter or things could be colder.  Land warms up faster than water, so when the northern hemisphere is closer during the earth's closer orbit, we can expect more than usual heat.  When the southern hemisphere is it...less heat is absorbed.

In any case, yes....man is indeed ruining the earth.  Look at what they did to that toxic spill in Ohio.  Look at the oil spills in the Gulf.  Look at all the plastics found in the ocean.  Etc etc etc.  There's plenty of that.

But this climate change stuff is politicized so much.....look at what it is doing to people: putting themselves into traffic to stop travel.  Throwing cans of soup or whatever onto valuable paintings.  Etc etc etc.  And the SAME PEOPLE who promote that idea continue to travel by airplane or other gas vehicles like it's no big deal.  Hypocrites!  If that doesn't scream "agenda" to you...then I guess words speak louder than actions to you....  :shrugs:

Anyone who appreciates sciences knows that science is never settled.  The Watchtower & Awake can take what is agreed upon and present it as what is known & believed by modern science.  If that view were to change 10-20 years from now, they could take the new stance, which could be completely different, and they'd be perfectly accurate at that time.  There isn't a problem there.

Could humans be to blame for our global warming?  Sure!  But I think it's foolish to close off our ears & eyes to other possibilities.  Everyone here seems to be in agreement that we should not fear doom from climate change.  And we can agree that science believes at this time that humans are to blame.  But then when you look at their very own charts without the bias, just trying to figure out things on your own, there's some head-scratching questions you got to ask...if you appreciate the scientific method.  🤔

2 minutes ago, cme said:

I'm scratching my head now.  Call me dumb but, I don't get it.

We are quick to accept whatever scientists/researchers conclude.

But when we start really looking at the things they post (like the chart) and start taking the same conclusion (there's a change...must be man's fault!) and applying that to other similar situations (medieval warm period/little ice age)....now suddenly it gets hard to explain.   Why is that?  Why do we see one change and think we know the answer, but then have no explanation for the other 2?  🤔

I could go on about studies on cholesterol and how the statistics claim statins "save" 54% of the people who take it.  Yet if you actually review the charts, it "saved" 0.5% of the 6000 people who were deemed "at risk".  So there was really about 5900 taking drugs unnecessarily!!!!

Yet we readily believe statins are critical for survival if our cholesterol is high.  How convenient for the drug companies.  :whistling: 🤑

Our world is full of corruption and agendas.  That is absolutely clear.  There is no need for us to staunchly defend any particular opinion or belief in science.  As was mentioned before, the same scientists believe in evolution.  Science looks at things through a particular perspective.  It is NOT absolute or without bias.

So why do we defend it so vigorously like it's our religion?  We should take it as it is...the agreed upon belief at the current time.

And then get about our more important business!  :raspberry:

I dont want to offend anyone.. I really dont, but perhaps the friends who want to talk about changes in the environment and the weather can continue to share their observations and feelings...  While the friends who don't like this topic and think it's not interesting or important, can choose other topics on the forum to participate in? 

I feel like some friends are trying to shut this topic down? Is it just me?

I don't think we need to  discuss the political aspects of the term climate change.

I feel like our natural environment and the weather and how it affects the brotherhood and our neighbors is a valid concern and topic of discussion.

Please let me know if I'm wrong or if I need to adjust my understanding of this forum 

Sincerely, 

Rebecca

You are so right.  My husband comes from a long line of family men that die before 65 or at 65.  My husband was next in line.  Colon cancer.

However, I know that pharmaceuticals are getting away with selling their products that do nothing or complicate the situation even more so.  So then they prescribe something else to combat the prescription that is making one sick.

I'm not into holistic but, I do look up things and have always seen the advantage of it.  Man was made from the earth so we need the chemicals or nutrients that make up our bodies.  I got his high blood pressure down, his cholesteral down and, I researched soursop and have been giving him this for the past 23 years.  No cancer, not even a polyp.