JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global Warming / Climate Change

Mankind faces a crisis of its own making. Most scientists agree that human activity is responsible for global warming. This rise in temperature has already changed the climate and brought disastrous consequences. These include the following:

• More frequent and intense weather events, such as heat waves, droughts, and storms, which in turn cause more floods and wildfires.

• Melting glaciers and Arctic ice.

• Rising sea levels.

The climate crisis has affected every corner of the earth. After documenting conditions in 193 countries, a New York Times report stated: The planet is sending an SOS. Because of the death and suffering climate change has caused, the World Health Organization has called it the single biggest health threat facing humanity.

Man is certainly messing things up. It's good we know the solution.

Also, this is the update in the Article Series "More Topics":

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=501100034&par=3

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

Man is certainly messing things up. It's good we know the solution.

Also, this is the update in the Article Series "More Topics":

https://www.jw.org/finder?srcid=jwlshare&wtlocale=E&prefer=lang&docid=501100034&par=3

Is this the 1st time the FDS has taken a position that global warming is of man’s doing?

No, they've hinted at it before. But this is the first time they came right out and said it plainly - I believe.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It does seem to be a firmer position than in the past. Notice this interesting dialogue between Awake! and a reader after a series of articles on climate change and global warming in the 1990s.

*** g95 8/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Damaged Atmosphere  I just finished reading the article “When Our Atmosphere Is Damaged” and enjoyed it very much. (December 22, 1994) You certainly have a knack for selecting meaningful subjects to write about. Several times, though, you mentioned global warming but gave no proof. Careful! If the opposite should one day prove true, there would be a journalistic penalty to pay.

M. L., United States

We did not endorse the theory of global warming but merely reported the fact that a number of reputable scientists believe it is taking place. Whether the controversial theory will be verified or disproved by further research remains to be seen.—ED.

I guess with the passing of time the brothers have felt that the evidence for man’s contribution to global warming warrants a stronger position than in the past.

I just searched WOL for an Awake magazine that sparked my imagination as a first grader: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/pc/r1/lp-e/1200272426/12/17

One scientist is quoted:

[Box on page 5]

Not all scientists are sure that the rise in greenhouse gases has caused the global warming. Stephen H. Schneider, a climate modeler at the U.S. National Center for Atmospheric Research cautions: “You can’t say just because one decade warmed up that the cause is the greenhouse effect. But for two decades to have a warming trend, that would be pretty unusual. And if it continues to crack records on an annual basis, then I think most of the skeptics will drop out and agree that there it is.”—Science News, Volume 135, April 8, 1989

So, more than two decades earlier it's pretty apparent that humans are behind it.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

6 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

Two short videos talking about how man can (and does) influence the weather. 

Never knew this. 
interesting 🤔

does it mean that man is capable of solving some climate chAnge themselves? 

Interesting - lasers COULD, ONE DAY, MAYBE change the weather.

Well, we will have the best one helping us with the weather in the new world, eh?

Soon .....

12 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

That's rather the point of the sovereignty question. Humans can fix a great many things that are wrong with the world, and just won't do it. The only thing this planet lacks to survive is leadership. Come Paradise, the really impressive changes will be the ones that don't require miracles at all.

Edited by Thomas Walker

I love this pic before and after lock down. Shows how greed in all forms affects our Planet. 

I am convinced that the planet has natural cycles of heating and cooling but it doesn't create pollution like this. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/y7X7bRojmYdcV4S66

2 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

That's rather the point of the sovereignty question. Humans can fix a great many things that are wrong with the world, and just won't do it. The only thing this planet lacks to survive is leadership. Come Paradise, the really impressive changes will be the ones that don't require miracles at all.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I believe in the late 1980s is when Global Warming became a hard fact globally, but the evidence of global warming caused by Humans (Anthropogenic) has been there from its inception when the industrial revolution started in the early 1700s. In 1850-1910, the earth was at a roughly 13.6C global average temperature. We’ve added 1.3C since then and that has put the earth in an energy imbalance causing the earth to warm up.

I have known about Global warming as a fact since the early 1990’s, been keeping track ever since, and the pangs of distress has really intensified since then.

The earth is sensitive to greenhouse gasses and it doesn't take much to imbalance the earth energy, its quite sensitive actually. It will be interesting to see how Jehovah will restore to its original form and what global temperature was meant to be at when we’re all in paradise.

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s the latest which has mostly been ignored due to the other crisis going on…

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/03/what-the-ipcc-report-tells-us-about-the-need-for-radical-climate-action/

reminds me of the kids book

image.jpeg.8e04f7b071e02a41a2fd32aee720628d.jpeg

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

• 3 weeks later...

Today in front of the Prime minister's house in Sydney. All the younger generation were protesting for climate change. And wanting action taken. In view of the Floods etc. It's been like 4 days break. Rain again so intense. My hubby and I watched this morning program. Talked about the Atom Bomb. Then there's some other Bomb. Testings were done . I forget what area. It caused a gigantic crater in the Ocean. This happened about 80yrs ago. But the affects has still been felt by the Islanders in the Pacific. People and kids skin has been affected different cancers because people at that time thought it was a great idea. Which all these testings for the wars has killed of a lot of the oceans sustainability. Great Barrier Reef is dying of cause of pollution etc.  Trees that provide food for the animals are being taken out for another facility. A Rare Glossy parrot in Queensland is on the brink of extinction. Because the tree was removed today . Climate change has happened because of man's greed.

The Glaciers are melting.  I heard recently. Finland has minus 50 degrees. Western Australia had many days of 50 degrees.  Crazy aye.  

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

28 minutes ago, Skye said:

The link below: The GISTEMP Climate Spiral presents monthly global temperature anomalies between the years 1880-2021. Cool graphic but the reality is scary! Good that we know Jehovah won’t let this happen much longer.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4975

Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to keep up. Especially for my kids. They are in Highschool.  Doing alsorts of topics. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 4 months later...

Latest Keep on the Watch series article 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/global-temperatures-rising-bible-prophecy/

I enjoyed this application.  I don’t recall this scripture being applied to climate before…..

Do heat waves fulfill Bible prophecy?

Yes. Global heat waves fit events that the Bible foretold for our time. For example, Jesus prophesied that we would see “fearful sights,” or “strange and terrifying things.” (Luke 21:11;

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

2 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Latest Keep on the Watch series article 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/global-temperatures-rising-bible-prophecy/

I enjoyed this application.  I don’t recall this scripture being applied to climate before…..

Do heat waves fulfill Bible prophecy?

Yes. Global heat waves fit events that the Bible foretold for our time. For example, Jesus prophesied that we would see “fearful sights,” or “strange and terrifying things.” (Luke 21:11;

That's "fearful" indeed. People are extremely anxious about this.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 5:32 AM, Honeybarrel said:

Two short videos talking about how man can (and does) influence the weather. 

Never knew this. 
interesting 🤔

They could make some small changes that would delay ruining the earth, but the nations will never do what is really needed.  There would have to be drastic cuts in carbon emissions, and that won't happen.

Edited by Witness1970

22 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

They could make some small changes that would delay ruining the earth, but the nations will never do what is really needed.  There would have to be drastic cuts in carbon emissions, and that won't happen.

Even if we full stop everything, the change is done, it will take 1000 years to go back to normal 😉 

ADJUSTING KNOWLEDGE A few days ago, JW published the following article on its front page: WE ARE ALWAYS VIGILANT! Global heat wave in 2023 What does the Bible say? It seems that for many your information has gone unnoticed, or at least, although they have read it, they have not understood that it was new adjusted knowledge. The slave asks the following question: "Was extreme weather conditions prophesied in the Bible?" And the answer they give is: YES. Heat waves and other forms of extreme weather fit the Bible's description of what would happen in our times. For example, Jesus said that we would see "terrifying scenes" or "terrifying phenomena." LUKE 21:11 "Other forms of extreme weather", can include many things, such as hurricanes and blizzards, floods and droughts, we could even understand wildfires caused by lightning, which are, of course, extreme.

Years ago, the slave, using the Watchtower, claimed that Jesus' words were fulfilled during World War II. This is what was stated in The Watchtower in 1997, in its April 1 issue: "The Second World War did the unimaginable: it dwarfed its predecessor, since tens of millions of people died in it. The immense aircraft carriers, true floating cities, plowed the seas sending bombers that dropped their deadly cargo from the sky on the enemy targets. Submarines torpedoed and sank enemy ships. And the dropping of atomic bombs claimed the lives of thousands with each explosion. As Jesus predicted, “dire scenes” have marked this era of warfare.—Luke 21:11.)" We note that the quote from Luke 21:11 had another understanding. The generation that lived through that period of violence is largely deceased. Almost 80 years have passed since the Hiroshima bomb ushered in the atomic age and since then the only nuclear weapons that have been detonated have been test ones. Now the slave has revised his opinion of Jesus' words. The last time the Watchtower commented on the above verses, especially Luke 21, 25 and 26, was in 2015. While the Watchtower used to claim that people were already fainting with fear, that part of the sign is now has adjusted to the future. Here is the 2015 revised interpretation: "Where will these signs occur? In literal heaven? We will have to wait and see. What is certain is that God's enemies will freeze in fear." So according to the slave, the terrible images that Jesus predicted are now being experienced by a prolonged summer heat wave.

The secretary general of the UN said what's happening is terrifying. And the speed of climate change is surprising.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jul/27/scientists-july-world-hottest-month-record-climate-temperatures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

He said the air is unbreathable, the heat is unbearable, and the profits being made are unacceptable.

22 hours ago, Dages said:

Even if we full stop everything, the change is done, it will take 1000 years to go back to normal 😉 

So, are you saying that we have already reached a tipping point?  That would mean that global warming has reached the point where it is self-sustaining.  The heat causes more wildfires and those wildfires themselves release more CO2.  The melting ice at the poles releases more CO2.  The melting permafrost around the world allows the release of more CO2.

I guess one other thing that could be added.  As the weather gets hotter, people use more AC to keep cool, which requires more electricity, which requires the electric companies to burh more fuel to produce the electricity, and burning that fuel adds more CO2 to the air.

Sorry about the run-on sentence.