JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Say Hi! The absolute chit-chat thread ...

Had the Circuit assembly (with Circuit Overseer) on Sunday 9/18

it was a live stream - loved it

then have the (NEW) CO this week - Jim Roundtree

so I told him the Assembly was just a teaser to help us see what he looked like

he lives behind our KH - his wife said she loved the commute .....30 seconds

looking forward to service with him - next 3 days

11 hours ago, DarinS said:

he lives behind our KH - his wife said she loved the commute .....30 seconds

At one time, we had a family that lived behind our KH, rarely saw them at the meetings other than the kids playing in the backyard. If they showed up, they acted they had been there everyday and never missed a meeting.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, Precision said:

Old Mac’s

Not sure what that is? :blushing:

@DarinS We have circuit assembly this weekend. Not with CO. (What do you call that? A representative?) Streamed. Not live. Oh, I look forward to it! Since it is not live, I will divide it into Saturday & Sunday :coffee:

@PaboPeculiar story :shrugs:

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

3 hours ago, Tronora said:

Peculiar story :shrugs:

The complete contrast to DarinS's story, where the JW family rarely showed up to meetings even though they lived next to the KH. We even had a gate that connected their backyard to our carpark which they could have gone through.

Edited by Pabo

• 4 months later...

To all reading my posts:

I deeply apologize for going off topic :offtopic:  more than I should recently.

Sorrrrrrry! :ph34r: :shrugs:

Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is clear*, your whole body will be full of light*. 

(*footnote)

@Parale To avoid further off topic :laugh:

This is what I mean by Snickers:

YSZwaWQ9QXBp

Yup, in the early '90s, the rumour was that this chocolate contains blood. Ever heard about it?

I called the Norwegian distributor, and she could not fathom what was the reason for this rumour. Still, all my peers in my then cong was ADAMANT Snickers contain blood.

(*footnote)

1 hour ago, Precision said:

No worries Sis...this is the off topic Chit-Chat thread.. :D

This thread is actually perfect to go off topic in! :D 

(*footnote)

On 1/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, Tronora said:

YSZwaWQ9QXBp

Yup, in the early '90s, the rumour was that this chocolate contains blood. Ever heard about it?

I called the Norwegian distributor, and she could not fathom what was the reason for this rumour. Still, all my peers in my then cong was ADAMANT Snickers contain blood.

29 minutes ago, ijsvogel said:

This is the official list of ingredients: https://www.snickers.com/products/chocolate/snickers-singles-size-chocolate-candy-bars-186-oz-bars

I really do not see any ingredient that possibly could contain blood :huh:

I believe it is simply an urban myth which unfortunately keeps popping up :(

3 hours ago, ijsvogel said:

This is the official list of ingredients: https://www.snickers.com/products/chocolate/snickers-singles-size-chocolate-candy-bars-186-oz-bars

I really do not see any ingredient that possibly could contain blood :huh:

Nope, it was said that it was added secretely!! And that witnesses that knew!!, was the source. (I choose to quote you here, instead of continuing off-topic there)

@Parale I think you are right. Maybe I'll be having a snickers bar next time I buy chocolate. Have you heard about it before? I was just wondering about whether it was a local, a Norwegian or a bigger thing. (But I haven't eaten Snickers since :(  )

(*footnote)

On 2/2/2023 at 5:08 PM, Tronora said:

Have you heard about it before? I was just wondering about whether it was a local, a Norwegian or a bigger thing. (But I haven't eaten Snickers since :(  )

I have neverrrr heard this in the US in 46 years in the truth.  🤣🤣🤣  That’s insane! That’s crazier than the smurf urban legend. I’ve had Snickers before but in general not a fan of candy bars. Snickers are a mass-produced shelf-stable product and it seems like blood would be too expensive and…niche of an ingredient for it to be profitable. 

5 hours ago, Esined said:

That’s insane! That’s crazier than the smurf urban legend.

THANK YOU!!!!! Btw, wanna tell about the smurf thing? :D

(*footnote)

On 2/6/2023 at 4:09 AM, dljbsp said:

When I was a child in the 70's my mom would not let us go to McDonalds, as there was blood in the ketchup . . . 

In the 60’s-70’s there were urban myths about many everyday foods containing blood.  Vegemite (for non Aus/NZ it is a spread for bread ) was one. Jelly crystals another.  My parents didn’t believe them and we ate them all.  

Along with the smurf thing anyone remember backward masking on popular songs!

8 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

Along with the smurf thing anyone remember backward masking on popular songs!

There were a few brothers I knew who were heavily into this about backwards lyrics, especially in the 80's. Some of these brothers who were multilingual, and they supposedly heard other things said in other languages other than what was in the original song was released as.  But if you knew every single language and listened to music being played backwards, you are going to hear many supposedly backward lyrics.

One popular sing was "Another one bites the dust" by Queen, when played backwards, it sounds like "It's fun to smoke marijuana". There is an episode on radio/podcast show, The Infinite Monkey Cage where they actually mention this song and demonstrated it (fwd to 11 minute mark). When they played it the first time, most people didn't picked it up, but when one of the guest presenter mentioned that it sounded like the above, then everyone then heard it the second time it was played.

But there were also songs that was purposely sung "backwards" and then replayed backwards to sound as if played "forwards", which is recording technique called "Backmasking". The Beatles back in the mid 60's had used backmasking in some of their songs, such as "Rain" and some of the songs in the "Revolver" album, where they purposely sing the song backwards and then played it forwards and inserted that track into the song.

But when someone started commenting on the song "Revolution 9" and "I'm So Tired" on the Beatles "White Album" saying that Paul is dead, then there was a frenzy of people playing their albums backwards to find any other hidden meanings. Frank Zappa even did purposely did a backmasking song after one of his songs was picked up. ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) had numerous songs picked up for backmasking, as did a few other big name artists of their time. But the main biggest genre for having plenty of backward lyrics were mostly heavy metal and thrash metal bands, where many have reported many phrases that will not be said here.

9 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

In the 60’s-70’s there were urban myths about many everyday foods containing blood.  Vegemite (for non Aus/NZ it is a spread for bread ) was one. Jelly crystals another.

Another one was Nestle Club dark chocolate. The funny thing was, when we had food service at our assemblies and conventions, they used to sell the Nestle Club dark chocolate bars at some of the food counters. So it dispelled that myth for some, as if there was blood in the product, why would the brothers sell it?

On 2/5/2023 at 7:11 AM, Tronora said:

THANK YOU!!!!! Btw, wanna tell about the smurf thing? :D

No I don't! 😅 The smurf thing is best left in the past, lol. Maybe it's the U.S./Puerto Rico version of the blood rumor. Did it not reach your part of the world? There is an old thread about it somewhere on here.

• 4 months later...

Tomorrow, I will be travelling by boat to the RC

die-richard-with-hurtigruten-befindet-43

It takes about 11 hours from Tromsø to Hammerfest:

https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/northern-norway/hammerfest/

I have never been this far north.

(*footnote)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 5:16 PM, Tronora said:

YSZwaWQ9QXBp

Snickers (same as Mars, Twix and Milky Way) does not contain blood as far as I know. They also do the brandname Pedigree which is dog food. To avoid new rumours, Pedigree is not a Mars or Snickers. 😂

...It is how it is... 😊  I love long walks, special when you do the walking. A long answer is not short.

• 2 months later...

Travelling by boat to my circuit (district?) convention on Sept 29. This time to Harstad. This time I will travel with a boat thas goes MUCH faster. Travelling time 3h.

nordled.JPG?chk=9E0A90&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=62

I have never been to Harstad. Looking forward to it :D

The convention is Sunday October 1st. The two days ahead are just ... for socializing.

A spiritual sister will come on board the same boat at Finnsnes. (I live a little bit North of her)

When I checked today, Hurtigbåten (the Fast boat) route between Tromsø - Harstad is cancelled due to rough weather. Hm.

Hurtigruten (The "Fast" 😉 route) would very, very seldom cancel. Much bigger boat, and much slower. Departes 1.30 am and arrives 8 am Friday.

I must think ...

(*footnote)