JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Are you an ex-smoker?

Did you smoke before learning the truth?

I did. I smoked cigars and a pipe.

In 1959 about Dec. 1st I decided to quit. My bible knowledge was growing.

I didn't get baptized until May of the next year.

Well, my brother-in-law gave me a package of 8 cigars

for Christmas that December. Now I was in a quandry. What should I do?

Not being too strong I decided to smoke them and then quit.

And I did. I got baptized that coming May and haven't touched tobacco since.

I'm so thankful I accepted the Bible's teaching on this matter.

If I hadn't I would probably be dead now, or at least had cancer or?

How about you?

My husband smoked heavily before becoming a JW - cheroots and 'roll your own' cigarettes. He smoked since he was 14. He always looked older than his years as a result. I look at girls I knew from school that smoked and they all looked older than their years by the time they were in their 30's. A few years ago it was discovered that smoking heavily starved the skin of oxygen, hence the premature ageing.

Now my husband is 57 he has 'grown into his looks'.He became a JW in 1978 and just did the 'cold turkey'method and stopped, but did substitute a bit with chocolate, though being a fidget who cannot sit still for long, he never put on extra weight.

My daddy started when he was a kid and smoked until he got the truth in 1955. Every picture you see of him before then he had a cigarette in his hand. All his brothers and sister smoked, except for one other who was a witness. They all died of cancer...terrible deaths...one aunt even smoked pulling her oxygen behind her! The last brother to die was 8 years younger than my daddy, and he looked 20 years older. Daddy died at 89...looking in his 70s. He did get emphesema in his later years, but the doctor said that he would have gotten it, and died from it, 40 years ago had he kept on. He quit cold turkey...but said it was the hardest fight...years and years later he'd still sometimes get the urge...but he never went back. Luved my dad.

No . .I never took up smoking. It was hard as a teen, the kids were persistant and cruel about it.

Behind the sports shed, I was offered a smoke and told that I would get over the initial urge to vomit . . :perplexed: . . by the 6th or 7th smoke I would be OK

I hate nausea so much I thought they were idiots for doing it . .I slunk away into social oblivion and my friend circle shrank too. :crying:

Then 15 years later we all met up at a school reunion . . most now mothers . .some on second and third marriages (mine still first) and they were all bemoaning the high cost of cigarettes and to a person they were all trying to give it up.

Then a girl who was a particularly mean mouth at 15 said to me in front of the entire table . ."You have no idea how hard it is to give it up!!". . X(

That is when Jehovahs spirit kicked in :bringiton: ( I was new inTruth then) and I just blurted out that it was VERY hard to refuse and be rejected as a 14 year old. Where were my 'supportive' friends then???

I had a point and they all knew it.

Anyone who needs support to get off ciggies deserves every bit of encouragement we can give . . but don't underestimate non-smokers understanding.

I started smoking at 17 because I fancied a girl who smoked, and wanted to establish more "common ground" with her. Dumb, dumb dumb, dumb!

I smoked until 24, at times upwards of 2 packs a day. Started with Camel Wides, moved on to Marlboro Mediums, and then to Kool Milds.

I quit when I returned to the truth, and did it cold turkey as well. I loved the smell of tobacco for several years afterwards, but today I cannot stand it.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

To answer this question, I have to go back to when I was five years old and Johnny Larsen who lived next door (an older man of 6) convinced me to sneak a cigarette from my grandfather and I did. Then we went into the chicken coop to smoke it. Well, my Uncle Bud caught us, He took us into the garage and hung us on nails by the backs of our jackets. He yelled at us for awhile and took Johnny Larsen down and sent him home. Then he took me down and spanked me. I considered myself lucky to escape with my life.

Years went by and then I was 23 and had been smoking since I was 18. I went to visit my Grandfather and Uncle Bud and his family. Nothing was said, but after I had been visiting for a couple of days I realized that I had lost the desire to smoke. I'm 68 now and haven't smoked since I was 23 and took the Uncle Bud cure. When I started studying and found out that JWs don't smoke it was no big deal.

I know you will be shocked I tried my first cigarette at 8 years old. By time I was 13 I was a regular smoker, every one in my family smoked. My parents used to say it was better to smoke in front of them than behind their back. I stopped smoking (cold turkey) at 18 when i started studying oh boy it was hard.

Sadly i started again about 2 and a half yrs later after going through a difficult time and was disfellowshipped. I spent the next 23 yrs away from the truth puffing away most of that time. In the end I developed asthma/bronchitis due to the fags. Well the doctor said if i didn't give up i would be in trouble when you cant breathe in and out it suddenly clears your mind. On feb 10th 2006 i give up for a week i used a nicotine inhaler then i went cold turkey again. It was even harder this time but i persevered. Im glad i did. My mother has now enphasemia (prob spelled wrong) due to life long smoking. My bad chest cleared up within weeks.

years later i returned to Jehovah and have been smoke free ever since.

The only place you can find perfection , is in the dictionary.

Sadly i started again about 2 and a half yrs later after going through a difficult time and was disfellowshipped. I.

My husband has dealt with so many who have had this problem. They went through a difficult period and out came the old habit because they thought that cigarettes calmed their nerves. To quote a website:

"■Some people think that smoking calms their nerves, sorry that's another myth! Smoking just helps you deal with the withdrawal symptoms you feel because you are addicted to nicotine. Smoking doesn't relieve stress at all."http://www.spunout.ie/health/Alcohol-%2526-drugs/Smoking/Smoking-%2526-health

In fact new evidence points to the chemicals in the tobacco can aggravate dormant anxiety states in certain sensitive people.So the sad victim smokes to calm frayed nerves and the temporary relief of satisfying the craving that they misinterpret as 'calming their nerves' gets shorter and shorter, so they smoke again and again and the anxiety disorders pile up and it is a vicious cycle of addiction.http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20001107/think-smoking-calms-your-nerves-think-again

My husband, as an elder, has spent much time getting the 'willing but weak' back up from the stumbling stage with counselling/advice and any other help their doctor offers, for both smoking and alcohol related problems. People come to elders because they humbly recognise they need help and it takes more than one fall for some to get up enough trust in Jehovah and know who their brother/sister supports are to let go of their previous 'crutches' and learn other coping mechanisms.

He is just glad when they are humble enough to recognise they can't cope alone and do ask for help. He is also glad that we have enough elders in the congregation to provide balance, as some who were brought up in the Truth can be a bit pedantic and unforgiving and need convincing by oothers about giving weak ones time and access to help first, to see if they can try to get over a return of a bad habit - usually started up in tragic circumstances. Thankfully, I know that most of those that were disfellowshipped for such weaknesses in the last 30 years are re-instated now and are much better.

Both parents smoked, so we boys 'naturally' took up the habit. I was sent home from school in the fifth grade for smoking at recess. I was pinching cigs from mom's pack and slipping it down my sock so as not to break it.

Smoked all through high school. Started to study the Bible and actually went into the men's restroom one Sunday and had a few drags of a cigarette during the meeting. Finally quit thanks to Jehovah and I continue to say Thanks now, thirty-five years later.

My brothers wanted to quit but didn't have Holy Spirit helping. One brother had chest pain and went to the hospital. They put the EKG sensors on his chest and took an X-ray. Then, an orderly came into the room and put the X-ray film up to the light and left them alone. It was very shocking for him and his wife - one lung was pure white, which, on a negative film, means pure black in reality. You could plainly see the EKG wires and everything. Total shock. Must be cancer - late stage.

Well, guess what? It was a set-up. They put another patients X-ray up to the light to make a point. (Oops - our bad) 'By the way, how did it feel to think you had terminal cancer?' And it worked ! He found the will to quit.

Good for him Doug. I wish they would do that to more people. I had a aunt that smoked like a chimney and developed emphysema. Cigarette in one had and oxygen bottle in the other. To this day I don't know how she kept from blowing herself up.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I never smoked until I left the truth in my early 20's. Then I started - 60 a day, rolling my own or Capstan Full Strength, even rolling my dad's pipe tobacco into a cigarette if I had no other!

When I came to my senses and wanted to return to Jehovah I made an appointment with an elder to discuss how I might return to the Truth. I walked up and down outside his house smoking to calm my nerves until the time arranged. He told me that smoking was now a disfellowshipping matter, so I said, "Well, I've smoked my last cigarette then." And that was it, no cigarettes after that. Cold turkey.

Like Bob, liked the smell for a while but now I can't stand it.

I have never smoked. one day when i was at school the kids knew my beliefs and to be funny and kinda nice they thought they give me a present

in an envelope they gave me a cigarette. I smiled said thanks put it straight in the bin.

I have many aunties except for 1 and mum the rest have smoked and one is younger than mum and she looks so old.

and whenever we had got together or they would pass on some clothes they reeked bady.

I have some cousins that are like mums age and I haven't seem them for a while and One day I say my cousin in woolworths she had enthusiema

and the next week she died and she had smoked alot. and my grandfather he would smoke and he was forced to stop by drs orders but it was too

late. He always had heart attacks and this was contributed by smoking. He lived to 80yrs. One of my favorite actors Yul Brunner said whatever you

do don't smoke. It was too late for him but great advice

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Ill be honest here

I used to smoke both cigarettes and cannabis :nope:

I have huge regrets for smoking cannabis in particular as it affects me to this day...but as time passes its getting better.

I smoked cigarettes for about 3 years and cannabis for 11 years - i know right? Idiot!! :no:

Ill be honest here

I have huge regrets for smoking cannabis in particular as it affects me to this day...but as time passes its getting better.

I smoked cigarettes for about 3 years and cannabis for 11 years - i know right? Idiot!! :no:

Don't worry too much, you are 'gathered' enough to follow the threads here and if you cannot spell really well, I commend you for your success with spellcheck, 'coz your reply seems OK to me. :loopy:

I tried the latter on 2 occasions, and it made me very sick. I figured maybe I had an allergy to it, but could never understand why marijuana was so popular. I hated the stuff.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I smoked cigarettes from 12 to 19 and pot from 13 to 19 and some other stuff in pipes and bongs.Pipes were really popular when I was a teen,alot of kids had them.And roach clips were also,they kind of told us who smoked pot.So alot of kids wore those.Some kids just wore them and didn't smoke though.

I smoked cigarettes from 12 to 19 and pot from 13 to 19 and some other stuff in pipes and bongs.Pipes were really popular when I was a teen,alot of kids had them.And roach clips were also,they kind of told us who smoked pot.So alot of kids wore those.Some kids just wore them and didn't smoke though.

Similar situation... Started smoking cigarettes at age 12, and quit at 19. I first tried smoking pot at age 12, then stopped. Started again at age 14 and quit when I was 19.

I was 18 when I started to study, and it took me about a year to decide that I wanted to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was at that time that I knew I had to quit.

My previous life must have been similar to Nancy's. We're probably around the same age.... Photomats, Tommy Chong, Styx, REO, Rush, ACDC, Pink Floyd, witnessed the death of disco and the birth of punk, everything like 'That 70's Show'. Graduated HS in 1981.

Similar situation... Started smoking cigarettes at age 12, and quit at 19. I first tried smoking pot at age 12, then stopped. Started again at age 14 and quit when I was 19.

I was 18 when I started to study, and it took me about a year to decide that I wanted to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was at that time that I knew I had to quit.

My previous life must have been similar to Nancy's. We're probably around the same age.... Photomats, Tommy Chong, Styx, REO, Rush, ACDC, Pink Floyd, witnessed the death of disco and the birth of punk, everything like 'That 70's Show'. Graduated HS in 1981.

Haha..real close...ohhh...I hated those Cheech and Chong Movies ,saw them at the drive-in but I loved Pink Floyd and ACDC ...at out HS we had a designated smoking area....I can not even believe they allowed that,they don't any longer I was told.... 3 of my friends who I used to hang out with there came in the truth....one laid side by side with me all night discussing the book of Revelation I had only read the Live Forever book,I knew so little.....my friend started studying and got baptized at the convention after me....we all quit smoking,everything ...including my almost hopelessly addicted sister,she joined my study and it was 4 years before she could stop....but she did it. Truly wonderful how Jehovah's organization cleaned us all up.

Ill be honest here

Don't worry too much, you are 'gathered' enough to follow the threads here and if you cannot spell really well, I commend you for your success with spellcheck, 'coz your reply seems OK to me. :loopy:

Rofl!!!

http://www.funcracker.com/FunBull/Funny-Pictures/Funny-Pictures/Smoking-Fish-1916.jpg

I'd rather eat smoked salmon, smoked oyster or smoked cheese.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."