JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

OBS Studio

The OBS Studio software has been mentioned several times on the forum so I thought I would start a topic dedicated to the program.

I recently installed the program and thanks to a very helpful tutorial video that a brother posted, I used it this weekend to record the JW-Studio Circuit Assembly. Now I want to learn more about the program and see how I can use it.

Please share any information about OBS Studio that you have found helpful.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

I hear a lot of positive things this program can do. However, I also hear it has a steep learning curve to get started on it. 
Any and all tips will be gladly appreciated. 
I hope it works with Win 11.
Tia

It works with Windows 11. That's what I have on my laptop and I used OBS yesterday without any major issues.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was looking for some nice backgrounds I could use for Zoom - I wanted a nice-looking room with a fireplace burning in the back and the only thing I could find was YouTube videos ... and they don't work for Zoom, at least, I have never been able to use one.

I found one I liked and followed the directions in the YT video that was posted in the thread Richard referenced above and was able to capture a portion of a two hour long video that was just what I was looking for.

I only captured 14 seconds of it, converted it to .mp4 and tried it in Zoom - it works!!!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have seen some brothers on this web site use OBS studio to use as their webcam. Using OBS studio, I can show artwork or images through web cam, (without the need to use ‘share screen’ feature on Zoom,) set the brightness and contrast for the camera, and customise settings with more freedom. I shall try the set up in the upcoming meetings and see how it performs.

FLTB8iU.png

7 minutes ago, Hinata said:

I have seen some brothers on this web site use OBS studio to use as their webcam. Using OBS studio, I can show artwork or images through web cam, (without the need to use ‘share screen’ feature on Zoom,) set the brightness and contrast for the camera, and customise settings with more freedom. I shall try the set up in the upcoming meetings and see how it performs.

I have seen several brothers do that and I thought they were using PowerPoint in Zoom, but now I think they were using OBS.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, Tortuga said:

I recently installed the program and thanks to a very helpful tutorial video that a brother posted...

Please share any information about OBS Studio that you have found helpful.

Would you please be able to share a link to this tutorial?  I have watched hours of YouTube today, and I am still not confident I know how to do what I think it can do. TIA

In the thread referenced above (see post #5) there is a video linked with the information on how to screen capture with OBS

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I got OBS working with Zoom last week.

I just updated zoom to the latest 5.9.6

There was also an OBS Studio update. I now have no camera. It may be just a simple tick box, but as it is now our meeting time, I cannot explore it further just yet. I am out of time.

Please be warned.

Maybe do the updates after the meeting, or well before!

Please let me know what you find...

Old (Downunder) Tone

• 6 months later...

We have implemented using OBS with our new PTZ Camera that we recently purchased foe the KH.

It did take some configuring, but we got there. As our PTZ has NDI, we had to download some software from NDI Tools which gives it some more practicality in using other features.

We installed a PTZ controller plugin onto OBS, so we can just use the OBS software to control the camera as well, instead of using a webpage access to the PTZ controls. The OBS PTZ plugin has 15-16 presets where you can preset camera angles that you wish to use and name them accordingly to their viewing purpose. So we have names some as Speaker Short, Speaker Tall, Chairman, Demo - Sitting, Demo Standing as the basic presets, but you can then fine tune the camera accordingly if you need to. It is much better then using the webpage to access the PTZ which may have 254 presets, but the presets are only numbers, not descriptions. In OBS plugin, you can double click the preset and the camera will go to that setting. If you need to save or readjust a preset, you just have to right click on the preset and then click "Save". Simples!

There are Youtube videos from StreamGeeks, Honey Optics that can assist you if you need to work out how to do it.