JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Everything Natural Hair

• 10 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 11:44 PM, Hope said:

@*Jack* - I really hate fooling around with hair and my three-textured head does not play well with me. I'm super happy I had a boy child so I could simply cut his hair. A daughter would look a mess... I don't do hair well..

I love the texture of natural hair but I agree... It's not as easy as I would like but I think it's because we still are experimenting and everything is commercialized. We started straight combing our hair and then we relaxed it. Now that wearing it natural has become more acceptable I feel it's probably more simpler than we know to have healthy hair we just haven't had as many years with it to really know it. 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

13 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

I love the texture of natural hair but I agree... It's not as easy as I would like but I think it's because we still are experimenting and everything is commercialized. We started straight combing our hair and then we relaxed it. Now that wearing it natural has become more acceptable I feel it's probably more simpler than we know to have healthy hair we just haven't had as many years with it to really know it. 

No doubt for many. But I know my natural hair. It has inconsistent curl pattern and is fine and coarse at the same time, if that makes sense. 

Plus the biggest issue is- I do not like working with hair. At all. If it takes longer than 10 minutes (that's how long it takes for me to wash/ condition), I am not interested in fooling with it. I don't even have a blow dryer or curling iron.. it's just not my bag, baby.. 😄

49 minutes ago, Hope said:

I'd rather it not tangle in the first place. 😒  And ewww... vinegar 🤢

That's why I wear my hair in a bun.

Vinegar has a fresh smell and you can rinse it out and still get the results. but any vinegar smell goes away after the hair is dry. You could add essential oils to it if you want ..

It takes the place of a conditioner so it won' take anymore time

Edited by dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 minutes ago, dove said:

Vinegar has a fresh smell and you can rinse it out and still get the results. but any vinegar smell goes away after the hair is dry. You could add essential oils to it if you want ..

I use apple cider vinegar in my hair all the time. It also kills bacteria on the skin. I used diluted apple cider vinegar on my grandson and it cleared up his eczema rash. 

26 minutes ago, dove said:

Perhaps. I still need a moisturizing conditioner and leave-in conditioner... it's a pain.. 😭

Chris and Dove are right about ACV. It normalizes the PH of the scalp and works well to combat dry scalp. It doesn't leave a smell at all. 

Before rinsing I'll do a 24 hour hair/scalp treatment with warmed coconut oil and aloe gel. It makes your hair soft and shiny. It also aides growth. 

Another rinse I'll do is lavender. Steep the herb in boiled water. Cool and put in a sprayer bottle, spray all over hair and scalp. 

I'm not a chemical person at all, I don't have a shower or counter full of products. I'm very happy that the few things I spoke about work. If you haven't tried them please give them a try before you poo poo them.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I'm not poo-pooing anything. All that is fine if one is inclined to do all that to make one's hair presentable. The vinegar smell while I'm using it is the issue, though- I can't stand it long enough for the scent to go away.. I detest that smell.

As stated some time ago, my prayer for the NW is to have hair that I *don't* have to do all that for... not frizzy, tangley, uncooperative texture. I really just want to wash and go. My natural texture does not allow for that. 😔

I'll be getting into wigs soon, no doubt..

Edited by Hope

Uani, having seen you "in person" on Zoom Chats (not just the pic in your avatar) I will have to say, your hair looks nice. I don't know how much work you have to do for it to look as it does, but I have never seen your hair look bad ... so, whatever you are doing to/with your hair - keep doing it!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

21 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

Chris and Dove are right about ACV. It normalizes the PH of the scalp and works well to combat dry scalp. It doesn't leave a smell at all. 

Before rinsing I'll do a 24 hour hair/scalp treatment with warmed coconut oil and aloe gel. It makes your hair soft and shiny. It also aides growth. 

Another rinse I'll do is lavender. Steep the herb in boiled water. Cool and put in a sprayer bottle, spray all over hair and scalp. 

I'm not a chemical person at all, I don't have a shower or counter full of products. I'm very happy that the few things I spoke about work. If you haven't tried them please give them a try before you poo poo them.

I'd love to try that. What type of aloe gel and where did you get the lavender? 

15 hours ago, Hope said:

I'm not poo-pooing anything. All that is fine if one is inclined to do all that to make one's hair presentable. The vinegar smell while I'm using it is the issue, though- I can't stand it long enough for the scent to go away.. I detest that smell.

As stated some time ago, my prayer for the NW is to have hair that I *don't* have to do all that for... not frizzy, tangley, uncooperative texture. I really just want to wash and go. My natural texture does not allow for that. 😔

I'll be getting into wigs soon, no doubt..

I'm seriously thinking about wigs too. Just to give myself a break. 🙂

On 22/12/2023 at 23:49, Hope said:

Peut-être. J'ai encore besoin d'un après-shampooing hydratant et d'un après-shampooing sans rinçage... c'est pénible.. 😭

From the inset photo: You and your hair are beautiful, sister Uani, and to a certain extent a photo can't lie😍

My hair if I do not keep it cut gets pretty wild.  One person I worked with said I had 'genius hair' because it was so much like Einstein's hair.  On one occasion it had been a while since I had a haircut and a black female co-worker yelled out, "Hey, Randy, I like your afro."  That's just how it was when it grew long.  I didn't do anything to it to make it that way.  

I have gone by Randall all my life, but some people on that job started calling me Randy.

Edited by Witness1970

2 hours ago, Dolce vita said:

From the inset photo: You and your hair are beautiful, sister Uani, and to a certain extent a photo can't lie😍

I know she's not fishing for compliments but I agree. @Hopehas beautiful hair in my opinion. But I don't wake up with it. ,🤪

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

I'd love to try that. What type of aloe gel and where did you get the lavender? 

I got the coconut oil in a tub from Costco and the aloe gel from Amazon. Lavender from a store or if you find someone with a bush, it grows everywhere. You can even use Lavender essential oils too.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

I know she's not fishing for compliments but I agree. @Hopehas beautiful hair in my opinion. But I don't wake up with it. ,🤪

I do know Uani does'nt want to fish anything, my sweet Christine. I just wanted to say my sisters are all so beautiful, whatever they look like, just because they reflect Jehovah's beauty. That said : I wake up with mine and it's enough for me. I confirm in passing that aloe vera is very effective in giving very pretty, supple curls 😘

6 hours ago, Dolce vita said:

Mercí beaucoup! 🥰 That's sort of my point, though... it takes a LOT of work for it to look like that and it only stays looking nice for a few hours, maybe a day. Then, I have to put it back in the bun with hair pins.

Any rain, humidity, wind, living 🙄 wrecks my hairstyle. I would like easier hair in the New World 🥰