JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Everything Natural Hair

I decided to make this thread for my kinky haired sisters who are natural or are considering transitioning so that they can have some ideas and a place for us to celebrate the beauty of natural, kinky, nappy (whatever you want to call it) hair. 

I’m currently bald and have been shaving my head for almost 14 years due to hair loss… but I still love and appreciate kinky hair even if I don’t currently wear my hair like I used to. Before I shaved my head, I had an Afro. I wore my hair in a fade pretty much all my life and sported waves for I lost my hair. 

Although I can appreciate all hairstyles on women, I absolutely love seeing women of color wearing their hair in its natural state. It’s so beautiful to me ❤️ I want my future wife to have a head full of kinky hair 😁 

Well, I’ll start off with some tutorials. I think this guy has one of coolest fro’s I’ve ever seen. Reminds me of a guy I used to study with.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

We had a brother in the congregation I used to be in that had an excellent afro. His looked like it would have made a comfortable pillow to sleep in. I thought he looked quite good in that hairstyle, but he was counseled that to reach out he needed to not wear it quite so large.

I have seen many hairstyles on women of color (as you call them) that looked absolutely fabulous but would not be possible on a white woman ... and if they were able to accomplish it, those styles wouldn't look good on them.

My hair has always been too fine to "hold a style" and the only haircut that worked when I was younger was a standard "businessman's" haircut. Since my hair is only partially there these days and having it short (or shaved) all over is no longer frowned on - I just cut it about 3/8" all over and no longer have to worry about needing a comb.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

sported waves for I lost my hair.

Before. How in the world did I do that? 🤦🏾‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

A black brother from Bethel had a good size fro on him and they cut it down. Back then, a fro or .long hippy hair was a sign of rebellion. No matter if you are  Black or White, when people see you. How are you being seen? 

Yeah, I think a lot of people back then associated it with the Black Power movement, since groups like the Black Panthers wore their hair in those styles. For them it wasn’t an act of rebellion, but instead, to encourage love for one’s natural self. Even today styles like dreadlocks and afros are seen as rebellious or unprofessional. My older brother (who’s not in the truth) used to have dreadlocks. I remember a brother that used to study with him saying he thought he was being rebellious for wearing his hair in that style. 
But it’s really not rebelliousness because dreadlocks and Afros are natural hairstyles for people with very kinky hair, especially Afros. Very kinky hair grows up and out naturally. It would be like saying a woman with straight hair is being rebellious for wearing her hair down.

Perceptions with certain hairstyles change from region to region. For example many black sisters don’t wear their hair in dreadlocks or “locks” in the Caribbean because it’s associated with Rastafarianism, according to a local elder from Trinidad. My mom has locks and she told me that she asked him if sisters in the Caribbean wear their hair like that since it’s the custom and he told her no, because many Rastafarians wear their hair that way. But it wouldn’t be a problem in the US. 
The brother I studied with before baptism in the early 2,000’s wore his hair in an Afro. He was an elder then and still is one now. He doesn’t wear it long, though. I used to be in a congregation with an elder who had been serving for several decades, who wore his hair in a pretty nice sized Afro. It wasn’t a problem when I had mine 2006. I didn’t wear it long either, although at one point I let it get kinda big.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Here’s a style that can be achieved with a sponge with holes in it. One company called Nudred sells them. I wish they would have been available when I had my fro. Sisters with short hair can use this.

On 6/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, Pink Butterflies said:

Her locs are cute but I’m in love with sisterlocs. 

I’ve always favored thick locks over thin ones so I was never a fan of sisterlocs. Way too thin in my opinion. I don’t see how some women who have them prevent them from breaking off. They do look nice on some women, though :)

Edited by *Jack*

previous record holder, but this lady’s hair looks bigger than the first. I think I’m in love 😍

15 hours ago, Pink Butterflies said:

That’s a lotta lotta work! 

Yeah, hair like that is a lot of work but look at the finished product 😁

On 6/20/2022 at 2:46 PM, Hope said:

I pray for easier to deal with hair in the New World. I HATE hair grooming activities.. 

why do you think your hair texture will change in the New World?

Edit: I see you said you pray for it. Your hair texture is part of what makes you you. Jehovah changing it would essentially be changing you :)

Edited by *Jack*

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

why do you think your hair texture will change in the New World?

Edit: I see you said you pray for it. Your hair texture is part of what makes you you. Jehovah changing it would essentially be changing you :)

😄 I am not my hair. 😉  Having easier hair is part of my fantasy of having options to go along with the standard perfect features - like you can with a new car. Cloth or leather seats? Sunroof?  Eight speaker sound system? 

Easy, non-frizzy, wavy hair that can brush easily and wash & go with little to no product? Yes, please! It would change me into a grateful woman who doesn't stress about her raggedy hair! 🥰

Edited by Hope

• 7 months later...

The lead singer of the Chi-lites had a nice Afro! I can’t wait to grow mine back in the New World 😊

Edited by *Jack*

I had a curly 'fro 'til 8th grade, then a relaxer three or four times a year made my life so much easier. :P

That style looks beautiful on those women.. but it doesn't fit my aesthetic.  I do not want the sort of attention I'd receive if I wore my hair like that..  it's too "out there".  My personality is assertive enough - last thing I need is "independent" hair, too! :D 

On 6/22/2022 at 12:34 AM, Hope said:

😄 I am not my hair. 😉  Having easier hair is part of my fantasy of having options to go along with the standard perfect features - like you can with a new car. Cloth or leather seats? Sunroof?  Eight speaker sound system? 

Easy, non-frizzy, wavy hair that can brush easily and wash & go with little to no product? Yes, please! It would change me into a grateful woman who doesn't stress about her raggedy hair! 🥰

What is your hair texture? I'm 3c/4a, and it looks similar to this.

image.png.ca5e9a41d733d78bf428af0462df7332.png

The thing with kinky/curly hair is there is no need to do a whole lot to your hair. I wash my hair every other week, put in conditioner, and define the curls with gel. It takes at most an hour to complete, and then that's it. I sleep on a silk pillowcase, so when I wake up, I just shake my hair, spray a moisturizing mist and go. 

That's pretty! 😊  My hair won't do that - my three different textures don't play well together. 😭 I also have to wash my hair at least once a week- twice in summer. It will only look good curly for a day or so... then it unwinds, frizzes, tangles and I realize I should've brushed it back into a bun after I washed it in the first place. 😮💨

On 1/24/2023 at 5:35 PM, Hope said:

I had a curly 'fro 'til 8th grade, then a relaxer three or four times a year made my life so much easier. :P

That style looks beautiful on those women.. but it doesn't fit my aesthetic.  I do not want the sort of attention I'd receive if I wore my hair like that..  it's too "out there".  My personality is assertive enough - last thing I need is "independent" hair, too! :D 

Yeah, I really like those styles too. The only reason hairstyles like those may seem out there is because most black women with this hair texture don’t wear their hair like that. It would be no different than a woman with straight hair wearing her hair down. Most take the easy way out and chose styles that are more “tame” also so as not to draw so much attention since these styles aren’t the norm. And I really can’t fault them for it. I get it. I know how the corporate world discriminates against natural hair, especially on people with the hair texture like those in the photos. I’ve always thought that’s why a lot of football players have locks, because they don’t have to worry about being discriminated against in their profession.

Also, I think the reason people associate such hairstyles with being independent or militant is because of how such hair was made to look by the FBI during the civil rights, Black Panther era. Styles like Afros were associated with being militant and black power. This video goes more into it. My mom told me when she was in either middle or high school, she innocently wore an afro wig to school and was sent to the principals office and expelled from school. That really is sad.