JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Write a sentence. Variation.

Tronora

Turning the other cheek does not mean that a Christian would not defend himself against violent assailants.

new word : violent/violence

Spoiler

*** g 9/10 p. 11 What Does It Mean to Turn the Other Cheek? ***
Jesus was not saying that we should never defend ourselves but, rather, that we should never strike offensively, that we should not allow ourselves to be provoked to take revenge. While it is wise to retreat whenever possible in order to avoid a fight, it is proper to take steps to protect ourselves 
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=102010324&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=13

• 2 weeks later...

The popular notion that Winston Churchill was a poor student when young, is far removed from fact.

new word : Churchill

Spoiler

https://www.artofmanliness.com/character/manly-lessons/churchill-conclusion/

The one bright spot during Churchill’s youth was his discovery of the wonder of books. After flunking Greek and Latin, he was bumped to a “remedial” course to learn “mere” English. His instructor, Robert Somervell, recognized Churchill’s potential and offered him encouragement. His mentorship ultimately helped change the course of Churchill’s life, and Winston would later profess to being greatly indebted to his old teacher.

Somervell taught his eager pupil how to analyze and structure a well-formed sentence and stoked Winston’s nascent love of reading. Churchill began to consume every biography he could find and made his way through the works of William Wordsworth, Charles Dickens, and Shakespeare; he would ultimately read all the bard’s writings and memorize much of his verse

image.png.8061f261c7f9b6005da1ffe035b7d2ec.png

The first leg of the "Tripple Crown" set of horse races in the US is the Kentucky Derby held at Churchill Downs Racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky.

New word: held

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

While the word derby can apply to a race, a hat or even a town, in British English, derby is pronounced dar-bee and in American English, derby is pronounced dur-bee

New word: pronounced

Observant Jews and those who follow Talmudic Jewish traditions do not pronounce tetragammaton nor do they read aloud proposed transcription forms such as Yahweh or Yehovah; instead they replace it with a different term, whether in addressing or referring to the God of Israel. 

new word : talmud/talmudic

Spoiler

Common substitutions in Hebrew are Adonai ("My Lord") or Elohim (literally "gods" but treated as singular when meaning "God") in prayer, or HaShem ("The Name") in everyday speech.

image.png.7bcc9dddea9cd759b42cf26fe2510d2a.png

Edited by Imagine

The Talmud is the central text of Rabbinic Judaism and the primary source of Jewish religious law and Jewish theology.

New word: source

Computers use RGB for colors, standing for red-green-blue and, while home printers can use RGB many commercial printers prefer CMYK, standing for cyan-magenta-yellow-black.

New word: cyan

A black hole is a region of spacetime where gravity is so strong that nothing, including light or other electromagnetic waves, has enough energy to escape it.

new word :  electromagnetic

Spoiler

image.png.60629548d8135a7d0a9391e6e111c495.png

Simulated view of a black hole in front of the Large Magellanic Cloud. Note the gravitational lensing effect, which produces two enlarged but highly distorted views of the Cloud. Across the top, the Milky Way disk appears distorted into an arc.

Most scrap metal yards use electromagnetic devises to lift and separate metals during the loading/unloading process and for sorting.

Nwe word: scrap

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

electromagnetic devices ☺️

UK government set to U-turn on plan to scrap or revise all EU law

new word : devices

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b8168b6f01779ce5c569bd4414516cdd.png

The government is reportedly preparing to ditch a December 31 2023 ‘sunset clause’ under which EU laws would automatically expire if they had not been revised or retained

Edited by Imagine

On 7/2/2023 at 9:36 AM, Imagine said:

UK government set to U-turn on plan to scrap or revise all EU law

new word : devices

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b8168b6f01779ce5c569bd4414516cdd.png

The government is reportedly preparing to ditch a December 31 2023 ‘sunset clause’ under which EU laws would automatically expire if they had not been revised or retained

I didn't see the word devices in your original sentence above, unless you meant to say revise.

New word: sentence

Spoiler

oops, blunderbuss here. got all confused with the words 'devise', 'devices' and 'revise'. Just back from a short holiday and feeling a bit disorientated. 

Ok, on the the game

The last sentence was the clincher

new word : clincher

The word clincher has several synonyms like closer, culmination, deathblow, finisher, capper, coup de grâce, crowning blow, deciding moment, and finishing touch and several of these seemingly have nothing to do with each other.

New word: deathblow

The “seed,” or offspring, of the woman, mentioned at Genesis 3:15, that will bruise Satan “in the head,” thus giving him a deathblow

new word : Genesis

Spoiler

image.png.f9c3079b84bd02d69b58d0e2c888b1e9.png

A short trek past the south end of my house will take me to my woodshop and my lathe.

New word: woodshop

A "woodshop" is a different term to what I call a "workshop", but perhaps it is for mostly dealing with working with wood, perhaps owned by Edward Woodward.

New word: Different.

Edited by Pabo

The stains are available in different wood tones, but all of them allow the grain to show through.

new word : grain/grains

Spoiler

Wood stain is a semi-transparent coating that penetrates the wood to provide colour whilst also allowing features of the wood, such as colour and grain effects, to remain visible.

Edited by Imagine

Wheat is one of the most popular grains worldwide while rice is the most widely eaten grain and corn is one of the sweetest tasting and many start their day with oatmeal.

New word: while

A while' is typically used after a preposition: "I'm going to read for a while longer."

new word : preposition

Spoiler

image.png.77b4e0304d42f1e021aab57700eba3a5.png

aside : I just found a way to find the meaning of a word. 🤣

I have to preposition the wood on my lathe before I turn it ... or were you referring to the part-of-speech used before a noun or pronoun called a preposition.

New word: turn