JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Good buy or not

Hello my brothers and sisters, I am seeking advice.  Can anyone of you that is a computer expert tell me from this description whether or not this is a good purchase.

roduct details

Originally designed for heavy use in the corporate environment, this Dell computer has been rebuilt with higher quality components than you'll find in typical off-the-shelf retail models.

Specifically configured for optimal use at home or school, this computer has been professionally rebuilt by a Microsoft Authorized Useder (MAR). Every component is tested for full functionality to ensure years of ongoing performance and reliability.

Exterior cosmetics are restored to a like-new condition with little to no visible signs of previous use. A fresh and authentic installation of Microsoft Windows 10 is performed with the new license digitally rendered in the PC for an easy and secure start upon first use.

Manufacturer/Model: Dell Optiplex 9020 Tower Computer

Processor: Intel i7 Quad Core Gen 4

RAM Installed: 16GB

Hard Drive: 2TB HDD

Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Video Ports: VGA Port - 1, Display Port - 2, DVI Video Port - Not Installed, HDMI Port - 0

Network: Wireless Networking - USB WiFi Adapter, Bluetooth - Not Installed

Additional Ports: USB 2.0 - 6, USB 3.0 - 4

* This computer will arrive at your doorstep ready to use right out of the box with all necessary cables included.

Used Dell OptiPlex 9020-T Desktop PC:

Key Features and Benefits:
  • Intel Core i7-4770 processor
    3.40GHz

• 16GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 32GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia wor

• 2TB SATA hard drive
    Store 1,300,000 photos, 571,000 songs or 1,053 hours of HD video and more

• DVD-RW drive
    Watch movies and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

• 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet

• Intel Integrated Graphics

Additional Features:
  • 10 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x VGA port, 2 x DisplayPorts, 1 x Ethernet port, 1 x audio-out jack, 1 x microphone jack
  • 2 x 5.25" external bays, 2 x 3.5" internal bays, 2 x PCI Express (x16) slots, 1 x PCI Express slot, 1 x PCI slot
  • 20.7 lbs; 14.2" x 6.9" x 16.4"

Software:
  • Genuine Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Backup and Restore options built into Windows allow you to create safety copies of your most important personal files, so you're always prepared for the worst

Support and warranty:
  • Used items have a 90-day parts and labor limited warranty
  • Recovery partition on Hard Drive

What's In The Box:
  • Power cord
  • Quick Start Guide

To see the manufacturer's specifications for this product, click here.

To see a list of our PC Accessories, click here.

Trade in your used computer and electronics for more cash to spend at Walmart. Good for your wallet and the environment - click here.
error:
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it.  See our disclaimer

Specifications

Features

Keyboard and Mouse, USB 2.0 Ports, USB 3.0 Ports

Brand

Dell

Operating System

Windows 10 Professional 64Bit

RAM Memory

16 GB

Model

Processor Type

Intel Core i7 - 4th Generation

Processor Speed

3.4 GHz

Hard Drive Capacity

2 TB

Assembled Product Weight

20.7 oz

Manufacturer

Dell

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)

14.20 x 6.90 x 16.40 Inches

Warranty

Hello sister 👋  I help my customers with Dell purchases.  There must be a typo, but the "Assembled Product Weight" for this computer must be 20.7 lbs instead of 20.7 oz 😁

For a used / refurbished computer it seems like it has some good specifications.  What do you want to use it for?   What is the price?

While it has many good specs, it is to be noted that although it is a Core I7 processor (CPU) is is an older 4th generation unit.  I do not know the price but there are many similar spec'd computers with Core I7 CPUs that are 7th to 10th generation with better operating characteristics.  Only those which are 8th generation or later can be officially upgraded to Windows 11 at some future time.

My backup Dell unit is a model 3040 mini with 8 GB ram, two Hard Drives (1 TB and a 256 mb SSD).  The CPU is an I7 model 7th generation.  I paid $150 for it.

It’s a rather low or very medium end machine, no separate graphics card, lack of ssd hard drive would be no buy for me.

But if the computer is used only for light tasks, browsing internet, doing research, preparing talks etc 

Well, in that case is fine, depending on price of course. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Please be careful with anything used, even if it’s a good buy. Unless it’s at a brothers house, up and running well, 

with some type of warranty. 

Best Buy has been having some excellent sales lately, for example new IPads, last year models in the $300 -$400 range, long battery life, recent update capabilities, small and portable, and price matching, if anyone has it cheaper, and a 15 day , for whatever reason warranty. 

The only thing I can forsee is that the processor is about 10years old now, so the longevity of the machine is going to be limited.

We are using a recycled Dell 230 tower at our KH which has only a i5 2gen, but has a primary SSD boot drive, 16Gb RAM, 2TB HHD, with a NVIDIA GT1080ti graphics card. It should see us out for at least another 2-3 years before we may have to look at upgrading it.

If it had at least a 8th gen processor then it would be okay to look at.

7 hours ago, jwhess said:

While it has many good specs, it is to be noted that although it is a Core I7 processor (CPU) is is an older 4th generation unit.  I do not know the price but there are many similar spec'd computers with Core I7 CPUs that are 7th to 10th generation with better operating characteristics.  Only those which are 8th generation or later can be officially upgraded to Windows 11 at some future time.

My backup Dell unit is a model 3040 mini with 8 GB ram, two Hard Drives (1 TB and a 256 mb SSD).  The CPU is an I7 model 7th generation.  I paid $150 for it.

Sorry my Dell is a 7040 unit. my mistake.  Ebay has them for $160 or less.

Edited by jwhess

6 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

It’s a rather low or very medium end machine, no separate graphics card, lack of ssd hard drive would be no buy for me.

But if the computer is used only for light tasks, browsing internet, doing research, preparing talks etc 

Well, in that case is fine, depending on price of course. 

It’s 205.00 online through Walmart and thank you, I will keep searching and by the way can you please tell me what I need to be looking for?

5 hours ago, Pabo said:

The only thing I can forsee is that the processor is about 10years old now, so the longevity of the machine is going to be limited.

We are using a recycled Dell 230 tower at our KH which has only a i5 2gen, but has a primary SSD boot drive, 16Gb RAM, 2TB HHD, with a NVIDIA GT1080ti graphics card. It should see us out for at least another 2-3 years before we may have to look at upgrading it.

Thanks 

10 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Hello sister 👋  I help my customers with Dell purchases.  There must be a typo, but the "Assembled Product Weight" for this computer must be 20.7 lbs instead of 20.7 oz 😁

For a used / refurbished computer it seems like it has some good specifications.  What do you want to use it for?   What is the price?

I use it for mainly for my spiritual work, I do surf the internet, I just don’t want to have to keep buying one every year. The cost is 205.00 online at Walmart.  I am no IT person I just need something to hold my spiritual updates and what not..  Thank you my brother.

5 hours ago, Pabo said:

How can you tell the age of the system?

10 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Spiritual work mainly but I do a lot of research so I do need a reliable one and it is 205.00 online at Walmart 

1 hour ago, sis little said:

It’s 205.00 online through Walmart and thank you, I will keep searching and by the way can you please tell me what I need to be looking for?

Well, if it is only for browsing and spiritual workload, have you considered to buy brand new medium spec laptop? 

Brand new item is more expensive but it will last you longer, plus you gain warranty as well. 

Example of medium good specifications are here (includes graphic card and ssd hard drive) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-15-6-Ryzen-5-5600H-GeForce-RTX-3050-Ti-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Phantom-Blue-Windows-11-Home-82JW00Q7US/1097527049

Example of basic specifications laptop that will do just fine for browsing and spiritual activities is here : https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-Laptop-Intel-Pentium-Silver-N5000-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-with-Office-Scarlet-Red-15-dw0083wm/363405465?athbdg=L1100

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

13 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Well, if it is only for browsing and spiritual workload, have you considered to buy brand new medium spec laptop? 

Brand new item is more expensive but it will last you longer, plus you gain warranty as well. 

Example of medium good specifications are here (includes graphic card and ssd hard drive) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-5-15-6-Ryzen-5-5600H-GeForce-RTX-3050-Ti-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Phantom-Blue-Windows-11-Home-82JW00Q7US/1097527049

Example of basic specifications laptop that will do just fine for browsing and spiritual activities is here : https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-6-Laptop-Intel-Pentium-Silver-N5000-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-with-Office-Scarlet-Red-15-dw0083wm/363405465?athbdg=L1100

Thanks my brother, I have killed every laptop that I have owned brand new and used ones, I just prefer my desktop.