JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Circumference and Diameter

Hava Saber

I just found this paragraph while reading recently and I want you all to find the needed value.

Myth: The Bible says that the circumference of a circle is exactly three times its diameter, but the correct value is pi (π), or about 3.1416.

Fact: The measurements of “the Sea of cast metal” given at 1 Kings 7:23 and 2 Chronicles 4:2 indicate that it had a diameter of 10 cubits and that “it took a measuring line 30 cubits long to encircle it.” These dimensions might have been merely the nearest round numbers. It is also possible that the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively.

—ijwbq article 82

My question is if the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively, what is the thickness from outer to inner of the Sea of cast metal?

Let your numbers play... :touche:

Edited by Hava Saber

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

1 hour ago, Hava Saber said:

thickness from outer to inner of the Sea of cast metal

If I’m not mistaken the thickness is stated at 1 Kings 7:26 “its thickness was a handbreadth”: about 7.4 cm (2.9 in.)

So, unless your question is about something else, that should answer it.

Edited by Br. Ice

4 hours ago, Br. Ice said:

If I’m not mistaken the thickness is stated at 1 Kings 7:26 “its thickness was a handbreadth”: about 7.4 cm (2.9 in.)

So, unless your question is about something else, that should answer it.

Thank you for this, Brother Isaac, yes yours was correct. I do read the verse you've mentioned.

Mathematically, I do really confused... If anyone can explain that would be great.

Here's what I found online...

2080307493_images(9).jpeg.732a1ebe5a696560801d1a3ad36e776e.jpeg

I do have solution, but it doesn't match to the verse.

Edited by Hava Saber

He knows you better than you know yourself, and he wants to help. :hugs:

Here is what my research came up with on these verses (from research guide and other sources):

Up to the time of Archimedes [third century B.C.E.], the circumference of a circle was always measured in straight lines by the radius; and Hiram would naturally describe the sea as thirty cubits round, measuring it, as was then invariably the practice, by its radius, or semi-diameter, of five cubits, which being applied six times round the perimeter, or ‘brim,’ would give the thirty cubits stated. There was evidently no intention in the passage but to give the dimensions of the Sea, in the usual language that every one would understand, measuring the circumference in the way in which all skilled workers, like Hiram, did measure circles at that time. He, of course, must however have known perfectly well, that as the polygonal hexagon thus inscribed by the radius was thirty cubits, the actual curved circumference would be somewhat more.

It appears that the ratio of three to one (that is, the circumference being three times the diameter) was a customary way of stating matters, intended to be understood as only approximate.

Another thought:
It is also possible that the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively.

Consider a circular Sea but to look at it in three dimensions. We know that it had a rim, so it was somewhat narrower just under the rim.

Therefore, it could easily have measured 10.00 cubits from brim to brim, yet have been only 9.55 cubits wide at the waist, where “it took a line thirty cubits long to go round it” because 9.55 x pi = 30.00.

Regarding the capacity:
Compare 1 Kings 7:26 It would hold 2,000 bath measures

with 2 Chron 4:5 The reservoir could hold 3,000 bath measures.

It appears that the usual amount of water it held was close to 20,000 gallons, whereas it had a capacity of close to 30,000 gallons. No doubt it was able to hold such a large quantity of water because of its bulging sides, its forty-five-foot circumference referring only to its opening on top and not to its maximum circumference.

Please don’t ask me to explain it! I understood it at the time 🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Another thought:
It is also possible that the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively.

Consider a circular Sea but to look at it in three dimensions. We know that it had a rim, so it was somewhat narrower just under the rim.

Therefore, it could easily have measured 10.00 cubits from brim to brim, yet have been only 9.55 cubits wide at the waist, where “it took a line thirty cubits long to go round it” because 9.55 x pi = 30.00.

This is the one. It is simple and accurate explanation that any honest hearted individual could or would accept it.

Good point. All ancient math books I have found and read mentioned that the circumference was about three times the diameter. This was used as early description of a theory (thought, not proved) vs a theorem (works every time.) I have enjoyed reading the oldest math manuscripts I could find since I started reading at three and started tutoring math at age seven. I was a math tutor/teacher for 63 years. Retired last year, I am 71. I enjoy when the maths of the Bible are discussed, but limit my comments in the meeting. My fave appendix of the Bible is B-14. I try not to initiate discussions of this info, b/c not every person is quite as fascinated with the measurements of the greatest mathematician, Jehovah God. Something for everyone. Jehovah's people are well educated and desire for more learning. SoCahToa to all my number-loving sisters and bros. pauline  p.s. Yup, I did not go on and about myriads.     

• 1 month later...

I always remembered at primary school that they were using the 22/7 method of calculating the circumference of the diameter.

However, I had known (I don't know how) that by using the 113355 method it gave you the closest amount to pi, than the above.

113  x diameter

Where 355/113 = 3.141592920

π = 3.141592653

Whereas 22/7 = 3.142857142 which is higher

It is interesting when you look at Appendix B-14 in regards to the measuring units. I did a comparison to my actual arms and hands to see the variations between the standard and me and it came up with some interesting results.

image.png.ac99b52f1e2a15aef13b83e3de4db5fb.png

Firstly, my Fingerbreadth and Handbreadth are larger that the "B-14 Standard" (if we want to call it that).

But my Hand Span and Cubit length is shorter that the B-14 Standard.

As the Cubit lengths are based on the number of Handbreadths, my ratio is slightly out, as my Handbreadth is bigger then my Hand Span and my Cubit, thus having lower ratio numbers. When I look at my hands, I have bigger palms, but my fingers are smaller (at times they act as thumbs).

So if I had used my Handbreadths as the standard point, then my Cubits and Hand Span would be larger than the B-14 Standard.  A the Long Cubit will be 59.5cm (23 1/2 inches), a Cubit 51 cm (20 inches) or nearly long as the B-14 Standard Long Cubit, and the Short Cubit would be 42.5cm (16 3/4 inches) or nearlyas long as a B-14 Standard Cubit.

Imagine the building if it was constructed with everyone using their own body measurements if they were all in varying sizes. Imagine having someone the size of Goliath building a small cottage for a short person, where the house would end up being the size of a mansion!

In case you are wondering why my left arm is nearly 2cm (3/4inch) shorter than my right, this was due to a sporting injury which required surgery where an elbow joint being inserted before I was in my teens. Thus the length of my left arm did not grow as long as my right when I was having my growth spurts. As it ended up only being only over a inch difference between the two arms, so I didn't elect to have surgery to correct the length of my arm. However, normally you will find that one part of your body will be larger or smaller that the corresponding side which is normal, but mine is slightly abnormal but nobody notices it.