JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

Sooo... I was working with the new territory function. I assigned my field service group a territory and went to look at it in my app and it wasn't showing up. I verified that all data had been imported and pushed and it was. I played with switching it to a personal territory and back and still nothing. Next thing I know, all territories disappeared from the NW Publisher app. Inside of scheduler it's still showing as assigned to my field service group. But now I see nothing under the territory function tab in the app. Anybody have any experience with this issue?

9 minutes ago, Aja said:

Sooo... I was working with the new territory function. I assigned my field service group a territory and went to look at it in my app and it wasn't showing up. I verified that all data had been imported and pushed and it was. I played with switching it to a personal territory and back and still nothing. Next thing I know, all territories disappeared from the NW Publisher app. Inside of scheduler it's still showing as assigned to my field service group. But now I see nothing under the territory function tab in the app. Anybody have any experience with this issue?

I'm sure it is, but is "Territories" enabled in NWS in the "NW Publisher app" tab? Perhaps, disable it, then re-enable it?

On 7/12/2023 at 6:25 PM, JoshD said:

Is there an easy way to email a cancellation message like there is in the other program? Needed to send a cancelation notice to a talk coordinator of a different congregation & thought I could generate one easily from within the "public talks" section.

I've found it just as easy to send a text or email from my personal email account. Easier to keep track of and follow up on. 

Can anyone explain the issue where permissions disappear from the program from time to time? I have 2 or 3 times recently had to re-fill out what elders and servants can see in the app, allowing territories to be seen and requested, and the name of the CO's wife and his number and email (there may be other things). The information seemingly randomly just disappears (the only possible thing I can associate it happening with is when individual brothers update their programs to the current version?). Is there a reason for this? Is it a bug? I have to say it's one of the more inconvenient issues I've run into with this program. 

I have just completed adding our territory information in to NWS. What a fantastic tool the territory section is in this software. It’ll make supporting the B&S so much easier in helping them with their territory needs. It will also help me! Give me a printed map and I’ve usually misplaced it after an hour. We choose not to use the address option built in to the software due to data legislation, but instead just listed the road/street names and associated number of properties. All works well and the B&S really love using the app to support our theocratic activities. 

9 hours ago, Aja said:

Can anyone explain the issue where permissions disappear from the program from time to time? I have 2 or 3 times recently had to re-fill out what elders and servants can see in the app, allowing territories to be seen and requested, and the name of the CO's wife and his number and email (there may be other things). The information seemingly randomly just disappears (the only possible thing I can associate it happening with is when individual brothers update their programs to the current version?). Is there a reason for this? Is it a bug? I have to say it's one of the more inconvenient issues I've run into with this program. 

Yes some updates add new features that have associated permissions, and sometimes permissions get split up into multiple options.  When this happens, they take the "better safe than sorry" approach and deny access to these new permissions.  It's up to you to fix them.

7 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Yes some updates add new features that have associated permissions, and sometimes permissions get split up into multiple options.  When this happens, they take the "better safe than sorry" approach and deny access to these new permissions.  It's up to you to fix them.

9 hours ago, Aja said:

It is always happening to me when I change the language of the program.  I mostly keep it as Spanish but I change it to English to take screenshots to send her to brothers to help with support questions. When I change the language back to Spanish I have to re-fll out what the elders and servants can see.  Annoying but I have learned to live with it ☹️

9 hours ago, Aja said:

Whenever we undertake a major update, it seems that we have to reset the permissions. As long as you know that, it becomes part of the update process! It is inconvenient and hopefully the developers will look at fixing the issue in the future. 

4 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

It is always happening to me when I change the language of the program.  I mostly keep it as Spanish but I change it to English to take screenshots to send her to brothers to help with support questions. When I change the language back to Spanish I have to re-fll out what the elders and servants can see.  Annoying but I have learned to live with it ☹️

That's bizarre!  Didn't they add a feature where you can backup the permissions?  Probably was made for that reason....

Just a point on adding territory information to NWS - it’s helped us to identify anomalies in map boundaries, missing territory without a map and really large maps that have been adjusted in size. It’s been a good exercise to confirm that all properties in our territory are associated with a map, even though it’s taken around 80 man hours to load all the data. Well worth it though!!

11 minutes ago, Sweetpea said:

Just a point on adding territory information to NWS - it’s helped us to identify anomalies in map boundaries, missing territory without a map and really large maps that have been adjusted in size. It’s been a good exercise to confirm that all properties in our territory are associated with a map, even though it’s taken around 80 man hours to load all the data. Well worth it though!!

Y'all too??  Glad we're not the only ones.  😅

Since I learned we can import the territory map that is assigned to our congregation on JW.org, I was able to see how our territory cards line up with what we have on our file.  Turns out there's a few mismatches.

Now to just find time to coordinate with the neighboring congregations to try to correct things....

22 hours ago, Floyd said:

How do I add a Saturday date for the schedule for away talks? It seems Saturday dates should be included by default.

Not sure, but I'll hazard a guess.

You probably have to go into the congregation groups & speakers section (whatever it's called...I'm going off memory) where you can see all the congregations & their speakers.  Then you will probably have to click on that congregation (the one that has meetings on Saturday) and adjust their meeting times there.

Close out of the program for good measure (I'm finding other areas don't always get changes to data right away...)

Then try to schedule a speaker to that congregation and see if it shows up on Saturday for them.

2 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Not sure, but I'll hazard a guess.

You probably have to go into the congregation groups & speakers section (whatever it's called...I'm going off memory) where you can see all the congregations & their speakers.  Then you will probably have to click on that congregation (the one that has meetings on Saturday) and adjust their meeting times there.

Close out of the program for good measure (I'm finding other areas don't always get changes to data right away...)

Then try to schedule a speaker to that congregation and see if it shows up on Saturday for them.

Yes. This would be the way to schedule a speaker for a Saturday meeting as far as I know as well. If you're not yet using "Public Speaker Sharing", then go to the congregation in "Circuits, Congregations and Speakers" your away speaker will be visiting and make sure their "Weekend Meeting" drop down option is selected to Saturday.

If that's done, simply head to the the "Public Talks - Away" section in the "Schedule" tab and select the weekend your away speaker will be giving his talk. On our end, the Sunday date is displayed by default but once the weekend box is selected, you'll see both Saturday & Sunday dates in the upper left hand corner.

nws2.jpg.cff2e8d471bbd06731aff6f833eac75e.jpgnws1.jpg.77c98ba40ffafb69901c7ece8062ec23.jpg

Edited by JoshD

Since here in Denmark gdpr and privacy issues are always on the front our BOE has decided to use it only among the elders until we All get comfortable with it .

could anyone help me with the following?🤷🏼‍♂️

created events are disappearing. We don’t know why

Is there a way to have the scheduler on the iPad or phone somehow?

greetings from Copenhagen 

1 hour ago, analynandmichael said:

Since here in Denmark gdpr and privacy issues are always on the front our BOE has decided to use it only among the elders until we All get comfortable with it .

could anyone help me with the following?🤷🏼‍♂️

created events are disappearing. We don’t know why

Is there a way to have the scheduler on the iPad or phone somehow?

greetings from Copenhagen 

Not sure about why your congregation events are disappearing. I would double check you're on the correct "sharing region" server & your location/time zone is set correctly for your congregation. In the event itself, double check the dates & time are correct.

https://nwscheduler.com/how-to/congregation-sharing/common-congregation-sharing-questions-answers/#Sharing_Regions

NWS is not available to be installed on mobile devices.

https://nwscheduler.com/how-to/getting-started/installing-jw-scheduler/

On 8/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, JoshD said:

Yes. This would be the way to schedule a speaker for a Saturday meeting as far as I know as well. If you're not yet using "Public Speaker Sharing", then go to the congregation in "Circuits, Congregations and Speakers" your away speaker will be visiting and make sure their "Weekend Meeting" drop down option is selected to Saturday.

If that's done, simply head to the the "Public Talks - Away" section in the "Schedule" tab and select the weekend your away speaker will be giving his talk. On our end, the Sunday date is displayed by default but once the weekend box is selected, you'll see both Saturday & Sunday dates in the upper left hand corner.

Yes I know that but the weekend column only shows Sunday dates. You brothers don't find that confusing? When I view the schedule this way I have to double click the talk to know if its actually a Sunday or Saturday. I am having trouble getting the talk coordinator to switch to NWS from KHS because he is older and has trouble learning new things and this is going to make it more confusing for him. KHS allows you to add the Saturday dates.

image.thumb.png.6cb95580032e69d17e8b866035039d80.png

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Yes I know that but the weekend column only shows Sunday dates. You brothers don't find that confusing? When I view the schedule this way I have to double click the talk to know if its actually a Sunday or Saturday. I am having trouble getting the talk coordinator to switch to NWS from KHS because he is older and has trouble learning new things and this is going to make it more confusing for him. KHS allows you to add the Saturday dates.

image.thumb.png.6cb95580032e69d17e8b866035039d80.png

I neither schedule nor use that screen, so I may not be the best judge, but I have to ask "why does it matter?"

The brother is scheduled to give a public talk on that weekend.  This screen shows that assignment.  If you are not the brother with the assignment, why does it matter while looking at this particular screen whether it is Saturday or not?

When the brother receives his assignment on his phone, he will know.  Or when you send out the email reminders...hopefully the date is accurate (I would double-check it)....he will see it there.  Perhaps on those instances, greater visibility to the fact that it is not the usual day is important.  But then again, don't we always confirm the time that the congregation meets?  If it is known that a cong meets on a different day in your area, wouldn't this knowledge be known to your speakers, and therefore asked when confirming the time?

I ask all these things because adding extra things for rare exceptions, like a "Saturday" row, creates clutter for a program when something like that isn't used by 90%+ of the users out there.  Sure, KHS has it, but you don't want me to give my opinion on KHS now....  :whistling: We need to ensure NWS remains modern, sleek, and as easy to understand as possible.  So for each feature request you must ask "do I really need it?  Or am I just trying to copy another app?"

If it is absolutely important to have "Saturday" quickly & easily understood on that particular screen, then I'd recommend you writing to NWS and suggesting they do it like this:

image.png.9114a198d9e82f1cf329ddea35e05dba.png

Because I would not want to double the space used just for the sake of super rare Saturday public meetings.  I think this would be a sufficient compromise.

I agree with the sentiment to keep things simple and not add features for the sake of adding...however I would be careful about saying super rare saturdays.  In Las Vegas, there are 7 congregations with Saturday meetings.  I imagine in most cities Saturday meetings aren't as rare as you might think.

3 hours ago, computerwiz said:

for the sake of super rare Saturday public meetings

Two congregations use our KH. One on Saturday morning, one on Sunday morning.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, howudodat said:

I imagine in most cities Saturday meetings aren't as rare as you might think.

Maybe so.  Here in southern Louisiana, in all of our circuit and neighboring ones, I've never heard of a Saturday meeting.  I know it can happen, it just doesn't around here.  🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Maybe so.  Here in southern Louisiana, in all of our circuit and neighboring ones, I've never heard of a Saturday meeting.  I know it can happen, it just doesn't around here.  🤷‍♂️

Esplanade - Kenner LA (USA)
Lafreniere Park - Kenner LA (USA)
Lakeside - Metairie LA (USA)
Marengo - New Orleans LA (USA)
Algiers - New Orleans LA (USA)
East - Houma LA (USA)
Oak Villa - Baton Rouge LA (USA)

In our area we have a lot of Congregations that meet at Saturday. Most Kingdom Halls are used by 2 or 3 Congregations. 

What I did was I put an abbreviation behind the name of the Congregation 

Hellevoetsluis-De Struyten (Za-m)     (Sa-a)

Hellevoetsluis-Kooistee (Za-o)           (Sa-m)

Hellevoetsluis-Nieuw Helvoet (Zo-o) (Su-m)

In this way it is visible in the app who is away at what day. 

The Congregations switch every year so somewhere in January I adjust the meeting day/time. A little bit of work but only once a year.

13 hours ago, computerwiz said:

I neither schedule nor use that screen, so I may not be the best judge, but I have to ask "why does it matter?"

The brother is scheduled to give a public talk on that weekend.  This screen shows that assignment.  If you are not the brother with the assignment, why does it matter while looking at this particular screen whether it is Saturday or not?

When the brother receives his assignment on his phone, he will know.  Or when you send out the email reminders...hopefully the date is accurate (I would double-check it)....he will see it there.  Perhaps on those instances, greater visibility to the fact that it is not the usual day is important.  But then again, don't we always confirm the time that the congregation meets?  If it is known that a cong meets on a different day in your area, wouldn't this knowledge be known to your speakers, and therefore asked when confirming the time?

I ask all these things because adding extra things for rare exceptions, like a "Saturday" row, creates clutter for a program when something like that isn't used by 90%+ of the users out there.  Sure, KHS has it, but you don't want me to give my opinion on KHS now....  :whistling: We need to ensure NWS remains modern, sleek, and as easy to understand as possible.  So for each feature request you must ask "do I really need it?  Or am I just trying to copy another app?"

If it is absolutely important to have "Saturday" quickly & easily understood on that particular screen, then I'd recommend you writing to NWS and suggesting they do it like this:

image.png.9114a198d9e82f1cf329ddea35e05dba.png

Because I would not want to double the space used just for the sake of super rare Saturday public meetings.  I think this would be a sufficient compromise.

That is fine for after you have scheduled but when I want to create the schedule initially I have to now remember to click on the Sunday date to create a schedule for Saturday which is just really confusing for some of us.

A better way would be "2023/08/05-06." Then you know it includes both days and the column is only a little wider. When I look at just 2020/08/06 my OCD brain tells me that is just wrong. 

I know of 5 congregations in the area that meet on Saturday. There are probably more.