JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

16 minutes ago, Floyd said:

image.png.53d3b3f7cb6d941821cbcf82c16688d1.png

I was looking for the word "Description" not the icon image.png.6a28ed9d8e93da0e7091d63e8992b1f5.png. I found it but I do hate icons. Words are much easier for me to find.

I agree, however I'm sure that you discovered that when you hover your arrow over the icon that the icon description appears, that will help you as you navigate in the rest of the program.

You're welcome.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/21/2024 at 1:57 PM, Cruzer said:

In NWS, go to the "NW Publisher App" tab, select "App Features", then enter an email address under "Allow Territory Requests".

Just tried it and it works!! Thank you Cruzer for that tip. I'm guessing that slipped in quietly on one of the recent updates. That really helps terr servant be more responsive. 

I am finding it just as difficult to use Public Speaker Sharing as using email. The problem is not with the program. Brothers still don't check either. It would work really well if brothers would check it. I even sent out a text to the TC and he replied with "ok." A week later he still has not checked NWS. Technology doesn't work unless people use it. I open NWS twice a day to check for things that need to be done. Been doing that for almost a year. Sometimes only once a day. Is that excessive? How do you get TCs to respond?

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

I am finding it just as difficult to use Public Speaker Sharing as using email. The problem is not with the program. Brothers still don't check either. It would work really well if brothers would check it. I even sent out a text to the TC and he replied with "ok." A week later he still has not checked NWS. Technology doesn't work unless people use it. I open NWS twice a day to check for things that need to be done. Been doing that for almost a year. Sometimes only once a day. Is that excessive? How do you get TCs to respond?

In my Circuit at least, I feel like TCs were the last ones to try to utilize NWS. Even though their congregations had been using the program for various congregation responsibilities for a while, many were still not ready to let go of KHS/Hourglass/Deckhand or didn't want to put in the time to learn a new program. And then there is the problem of engagement where if everyone isn't using it, it can feel like extra work. Most of us on here can recognize the benefits if everyone gets on board, but some struggle to get started.

The problem you're describing isn't unique to NW Scheduler though. You have so many elders who are all at different comfort levels with technology. I'm probably a bit more like you in that I check my phone, emails (personal and JW inbox), NW Scheduler several times throughout the day. But some people just won't. I know it can be frustrating but you're better off accepting that, with some individuals, you'll just need to give them one or more kindly nudges to respond. I just try to view it as we are getting an additional opportunity to work on and develop patience. Hang in there brother.

Similar situation here. I invested many hours in coaching administrators in nearby congregations to activate Public Speaker Sharing for their congregation. I thought if we got enough congregations activated, it would pay off. Finally got 9 congregations on the list. Since September, only 3 congregations have used it, for a total of 4 talk assignments. Even TC in my congregation chooses not to use it. He DID get one request, but did not respond to it for over a week until I pointed it out to him. 

One helpful solution would be for NWS to add a feature to send TC an email when he receives a request. Like they recently did for Territory requests. I'm guessing they are becoming more aware of this type obstacle everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Aja said:

In my Circuit at least, I feel like TCs were the last ones to try to utilize NWS. Even though their congregations had been using the program for various congregation responsibilities for a while, many were still not ready to let go of KHS/Hourglass/Deckhand or didn't want to put in the time to learn a new program. And then there is the problem of engagement where if everyone isn't using it, it can feel like extra work. Most of us on here can recognize the benefits if everyone gets on board, but some struggle to get started.

The problem you're describing isn't unique to NW Scheduler though. You have so many elders who are all at different comfort levels with technology. I'm probably a bit more like you in that I check my phone, emails (personal and JW inbox), NW Scheduler several times throughout the day. But some people just won't. I know it can be frustrating but you're better off accepting that, with some individuals, you'll just need to give them one or more kindly nudges to respond. I just try to view it as we are getting an additional opportunity to work on and develop patience. Hang in there brother.

Well said my brother. As the secretary for many years, the need for patience comes up in so many various ways. I have definitely learned there are many things such as NWS that require time to adjust. Although in the last year we have had almost every congregation in our circuit and near us in PHX get on board with NWS from just 4-5, so the participation is improving. Our previous PTC simply did not want to learn it (KHS fan boy :)) but when we changed PTC, our new one was all in to learn it and has done a fabulous job. So hopefully over time it will improve for all.

11 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

when we changed PTC, our new one was all in to learn it and has done a fabulous job. So hopefully over time it will improve for all.

Good point - for many congregations, that is what it will take. Of course, as long as a conscientious TC gets the talks properly scheduled, it doesn't really matter what method he uses. Its just that NWS 1)makes it easier and quicker 2) avoids the confusion and mis-communication that always seems to accompany the more manual methods.

10 hours ago, Aja said:

In my Circuit at least, I feel like TCs were the last ones to try to utilize NWS.

But I am talking about TCs who have already activated Speaker Sharing. Why activate it and then not use it?

On 3/21/2024 at 8:47 AM, Aja said:

Only thing I'm looking out for is the ability to assign territory from the app. Not really much more I want from the app at the moment. What kind of features are you looking for? 

At one point several months back, any new "Congregation Events" or an update to one already created, would trigger a star symbol. Would like to see that back.

Would like to have the ability to go straight to the event, assignment, duty, etc when selected from the notification area of my devices.

Make locations listed in assignments of the "Assignments" tab of NWP, linkable to a map app. Not all assignments have a "location" but the Public Talk, Field Service Conductor to name a couple does. Also link to a map app if a location is listed in an event.

SCHEDULING CART WITNESSING - Looking for suggestions for scheduling the Public Cart Witnessing. The NWP Reservation system works fine technically, but the friends are not cooperating - certain ones hog the reservations, causing others to be left out. We have not found any good way to manage that. So the present idea is assign a brother who will assign the cart work in an equitable way. Are there any tools available to make this more manageable? Is there a better way that you know of? Appreciate any suggesitons.

On 3/21/2024 at 3:55 PM, coolbrz731 said:

I would love to get a notification that someone requested a territory.  Many are good about texting me, but I still have to religiously check NWS to see if any territories have been requested.

In the settings you can add your email address so you get an email notification whenever someone requests territory 

6 hours ago, foghorn said:

Are there any tools available to make this more manageable? Is there a better way that you know of?

We don't allow the friends to freely reserve their shifts. All the shifts are scheduled by a brother.

If the publishers who work the carts are more or less the same on the same days, you can use templates to save a lot of time. Just schedule one week (or a whole month), save it as a template, then reuse it for the next weeks (or months).

8 hours ago, carlos said:

We don't allow the friends to freely reserve their shifts. All the shifts are scheduled by a brother.

If the publishers who work the carts are more or less the same on the same days, you can use templates to save a lot of time. Just schedule one week (or a whole month), save it as a template, then reuse it for the next weeks (or months).

That is how we do it as well. On top of that, we favour the pioneers with the first choice. We allow everyone to use the app for scheduling as well after the new schedule is added from Scheduler. If brothers and sister are not able to do their shift for some reason, they remove themselve from a shift. This is communicated in a Whatsapp Cartwittnessing group. Brothers and sister can respond to that and add themselves in the Publisher app. Shifts that are blank on Sunday night for that week can be considered available and can be claimed by everyone. 

It is often very helpful for the pioneers to have options regarding litcart ministry, but it can also pose problems for others:

* Older ones often find this is the ministry best suited to them

* Some with health issues appreciate staying in one location

* Non-pioneers can feel they are 'second class', which does not fit with our equality teaching

* The more pioneers spend time on the litcart system, the less time they have bolstering the midweek group ministry

* Appointed men who are pioneers, need to balance their time with regular congregation ministry

With the new LPMD guidelines, there will be more options for the brothers and sisters to engage in alternative ministries, but this is another area where appointed brothers and pioneers can render fine assistance. These are other things for mature ones to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Aja said:

Android app updated to version 3.4.8 but it seems like there's nothing new in the "What's New" notes. Any idea what the update contains?

For latest version 3.4.8 #244, it says:
"NEW FEATURES

Overdue territories now show a warning

Delegate Parts and Duties now highlight in Orange

Publishers - Contact Information - Can copy and Navigate to Address

OTHER

Translation improvements and other bug fixes"

24 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

For latest version 3.4.8 #244, it says:
"NEW FEATURES

Overdue territories now show a warning

Delegate Parts and Duties now highlight in Orange

Publishers - Contact Information - Can copy and Navigate to Address

OTHER

Translation improvements and other bug fixes"

These are the same "new features" when version 3.4.7 was released.

Apologies if this has been asked in the past but I have a weird anomaly in the app. When one certain brother, and always the same one has an assignment his name shows up in the app as highlighted yellow for a few other publishers. The name is correct but is highlighted as if it is their assignment, complete with the yellow person on the schedules screen. The screen shot is from a person with no assignment this day but has the yellow. Any ideas on the issue?

image.thumb.jpeg.d757e4735d5a5664294e71b43e3f6549.jpeg 

4 hours ago, Skookum said:

I have a problem with mystery hospitality requests showing up.

Isn't that an option under App Features>Schedule?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We are moving to NWscheduler now and I would like to know if it's possible to import this data:

history of field service meeting conductors

history of appointments to public witnessing

history of appontments with other tasks, like audio/video, mics, etc...

Thanks to anyone who knows this. I couldn't find it in the nwsheduler help page relating to importing

Also, there is a way to import the CLAM meeting schedule but only from other programs, not csv?