JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Letting Go

angellionel

Within our periodicals, we have read articles touching on the subject of a pained conscience, where individuals have not forgiven themselves for past errors, even though Jehovah has. Carrying those boulders on our shoulders can be spiritually debilitating. How wonderful to have soothing words of comfort from our creator recorded in the Bible. Psalm 34:18; 51:17; 103:12.

It was with this in mind that last year I wrote the following.

The Storm Has Passed

One early dawn, I walked a path
A storm had draped with snow.
Though winter lessened in her wrath,
The frost that trailed her aftermath
Had slapped my face with sleet in tow,
Her icy grip to show.

I heard a voice amid the gale
As winter slowed her dance.
It echoed through the falling hail
And sounded like a mournful wail,
Which freed me from a frigid trance;
I chanced a wary glance.

It said to me: “forget the past,
The pages that have turned.
The ink has faded, time has passed,
And holding on will only cast
Continued pain you have not earned,
But keep what you have learned.”

I weighed the words, then looked around
To share my thankful glee.
But no one there my eyes had found,
So set my eyes upon the ground,
No footprints 'round that I could see,
But ones left there by me.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/15/health/poetry-life-itself-wellness/index.html#:~:text=They have been shown to,mood%2C memory and work performance.

As a creative device, poems slow our reaction to an experience and can alter our perception of it in ways that help us find new angles, go deeper. It can strengthen our sense of identity and connect us to the experiences of others to foster empathy.

Your excellent poem helps me to self reflect. Great job, Brother Angel. I think I'll had better to stick to reading poetry and analyzing every turn of phrase. My English is not up to your level of proficiency but I think it is better to churn out a mediocre piece than not at all. 

Thanks for sharing. Going to start reading poetry today. 

30 minutes ago, Imagine said:

Your excellent poem helps me to self reflect. Great job, Brother Angel. I think I'll had better to stick to reading poetry and analyzing every turn of phrase. My English is not up to your level of proficiency but I think it is better to churn out a mediocre piece than not at all. 

Thanks for sharing. Going to start reading poetry today.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comment, sister.

The words in that quote you included have proved true in my case. Some years ago, I experienced a period of depression. Maintaining a spiritual routine greatly helped, for which I am immensely grateful, but I also picked up writing poetry, which I had given up in the late 90s, and it, too, proved to be therapeutic. This was particularly so when meditating on and writing about Jehovah, his creative works, and the seasons. I have also written many poems for my wife.

In my experience, not everyone enjoys reading poetry these days. There are too many distractions in today's world, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, angellionel said:

Some years ago, I experienced a period of depression. Maintaining a spiritual routine greatly helped, for which I am immensely grateful, but I also picked up writing poetry, which I had given up in the late 90s, and it, too, proved to be therapeutic. This was particularly so when meditating on and writing about Jehovah, his creative works, and the seasons

There are few things more conducive to stable mental health than writing. Any mental health practitioner worth his salt will suggest it in some form. Some very expressive verses you have penned.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

It can be really hard dealing with disquieting thoughts and feelings.

in a way we all have something to deal with,the struggle can be very exhausting mentally,those worries just won't go away no matter how hard we try,its like they have become an ingrained part of lives.

Sometimes I wish Jehovah can just lay his healing hands on me and make these disquieting thoughts disappear completely.

Thank you very much Brother Angel,your poem has been very helpful.

14 hours ago, Ishaya said:

It can be really hard dealing with disquieting thoughts and feelings.

I can relate. It can be a challenge, no doubt. However, we do have the advantage of a close and personal relationship with Jehovah and the gift of prayer. I know that it helped me immensely to throw my burdens on him.

Thank you for your kind comment, Brother Ishaya.