JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Meat Grown From Animal Cells

1 minute ago, jwmom said:

I hear those grasshoppers taste like chicken. LOL 

They are better if you roast them and dip them in chocolate.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Isn't all meat grown from animal cells? After all, the bull and heifer only contribute one cell each to produce a calf.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 6/21/2023 at 8:07 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Yeah, you won't see me putting this in my mouth anytime soon. Think about all the vitamins and minerals found in chicken....

chicken-nutrition.jpg

Is the lab grown chicken the chicken protein, or is it the chicken fat? Let's say you grow both and mix it together. WIll your lab grown chicken contain calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, niacin, folate, etc? I highly doubt it. Chicken meat has these nutrients because chickens get them from the feed, bugs, etc, that they eat.

So now you have to grow the protein portion and grow the fat portion seperately and mix them together and also fortify it with synthetic vitamins and minerals so you end up with a processed food that basically imitates chicken.

Just give me the darn bird, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

No matter what they cook up in the lab regarding fake meat, it is just not meat! I don't see it doing any exercise on its feet.

But grasshoppers, mmmm, nice if they are fried and seasoned with chilli and spices.

18 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Is the lab grown chicken the chicken protein, or is it the chicken fat?

Wouldn't it be both? It's grown from chicken cells.   Isn't that where all chicken meat comes from? 

I'm interested in learning how the process works.  

7 hours ago, Pabo said:

No matter what they cook up in the lab regarding fake meat, it is just not meat! 

But is it fake meat? It's grown from chicken cells.  Isn't that how all meat starts? 

Wouldn't this be classed as an ultra-processed food 🤔

Ultra-processed foods are traditionally shocking for your health. It never goes well when humans claim to be able to do something as well as Jehovah does it! 

Plus if this takes off won't it be just another way to lock down and control food resources? I can see them claiming that it's so good because its more 'sustainable' but what of the livelihoods of all the traditional farmers?

Organic, regenerative, bio-dynamic farming is the most beneficial for the environment, for the climate and for human health. It's not so good for making billions of dollars. That's the real goal here. Not anything morally positive.

You've only got to look at what's happening to the farmers in India to see the kind of catastrophe that can result from these kind of 'advances' where rules and restrictions are added as burdens on honest hardworking people that have worked the land for generations, eventually resulting in them being unable to continue. The suicide rate for Indian farmers burdened in this way is an absolute disaster.

It'll go the same way GMO patented seeds and grains have gone. We genetically modified it, so we can patent it and then we can control it's use. I'll never trust a food that can be patented. Jehovah holds the rights to the things I consume.

So ethically and nutritionally for me that's a no thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Wouldn't it be both? It's grown from chicken cells.   Isn't that where all chicken meat comes from? 

I'm interested in learning how the process works.  

I'm interested too. 

I'm basing my assumption off of how stem cells can be directed to become any sort of other cell or organ in the body. Similarly, the direction would have to be either to become a fat cell or a protein cell. I'm wagering that lab grown chicken is pure protein, as it's a lean animal to begin with. You can't tell a cell to become a vitamin or mineral though, so what is normally a nutrient dense food will be a high protein but nutrient void food, unless it is fortified with synthetics like grain products like cereals and breads are.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

But is it fake meat? It's grown from chicken cells.  Isn't that how all meat starts? 

Real meat contains numerous vitamins and minerals. It's naturally nutritious. Those vitamins and minerals get into the animal through it's diet, and is the reason why grass-finished beef and pastured chicken/eggs has a bit of a edge over grain fed animals. Even modern vegetables have lower nutritional content than they did even 50 years ago because of depleted soil from poor farming practices.

If you have lab grown chicken protein and have to add synthetic vitamins and minerals to it, I'm hesitant to call it real meat.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Frances Bennett said:

but what of the livelihoods of all the traditional farmers?

Organic, regenerative, bio-dynamic farming is the most beneficial for the environment, for the climate and for human health. It's not so good for making billions of dollars. That's the real goal here. Not anything morally positive.

Exactly!

Support your local farmer. You will be healthier for it. Big food and big pharma want you shopping in the center of the store though, not the perimeter. 

40 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Big food and big pharma want you shopping in the center of the store though

Big Food and Big Pharma make Big people...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Many lab-grown meats are produced from stem cells extracted from blood.  This  article says about it: 

“Growing animal cells (typically muscle cells) also requires a growth medium. When lab-cultured "meat" production first began, companies depended on fetal bovine serum (FBS) as a growth medium. Producing FBS involves extracting blood from the fetus of a pregnant cow when the cow is slaughtered.”

There may well be other better methods by now, but as a consumer, how do you know exactly how it is made?  

21 minutes ago, Frances Bennett said:

While the steak is currently just a prototype, and designed as a thought-provoking piece of art, it is a real piece of meat grown from human cells.

Let's not confuse art and sarcasm with valid proposals. 

Just now, Shawnster said:

While the steak is currently just a prototype, and designed as a thought-provoking piece of art, it is a real piece of meat grown from human cells.

Let's not confuse art and sarcasm with valid proposals. 

Of course! Ha ha, of course! 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Shawnster said:

But does it itself develop into a life-form?

You could say that this fake meat is also cancer, whereby the original cells have been corrupted and started doing its own thing.

Also you may need think of especially in the methods that they make this fake meat, what ingredients and processes do they use to make it? Especially in its growth medium in the culture. Does it contain any possible controversial methods or sources that it makes to make this fake meat? Does the fake meat get bled as with other animals?

So, so many questions and ethics involved.

Edited by Pabo

1 minute ago, Pabo said:

Does the fake meat get bled as with other animals?

It's grown from stem cells.  No circulatory system. No organs. No blood.  Nothing to bleed. 

However, they are looking to add blood into the process.  Not all cultured meats, mind you.  Just like sausage - sometimes you gotta ask