JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Problems with JW Library

I'm experiencing problems with JW Library. I'm preparing a talk for the week 32, but when I want to make a note in the WT from where the assignment is taken from, I can make a note, but it does not show, neither can I edit it. The note is shown in my 'Personal Study' tab, and I can also edit it there.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by John Doe

I had a feeling the last update related to note taking issues, have you got the latest update?  Otherwise, I would always try.. close it down, fully, then reopen..  you know the line..  turn it off and turn it on again 😉

Edited by Paul T

9 minutes ago, Paul T said:

I had a feeling the last update related to note taking issues, have you got the latest update?  Otherwise, I would always try.. close it down, fully, then reopen..  you know the line..  turn it off and turn it on again 😉

Tried it all. It didn't help. 

Forgot to mention it's on my PC

For me having windows 10 and 11 surface devices, I don't have any issues in note taking and viewing them on my amazon/ipad/samuung Android devices. 

Can you mention the type of device you are having the problem. Overall specifications would be nice also. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

For me having windows 10 and 11 surface devices, I don't have any issues in note taking and viewing them on my amazon/ipad/samuung Android devices. 

Can you mention the type of device you are having the problem. Overall specifications would be nice also. 

Windows 11 on a Lenovo P50 Thinkpad

Sendt fra min GM1913 med Tapatalk

If this info is correct your computer is possibly up to 5 years old. It has nice specs. It might be a few updates in the future where you may enjoy a better experience.

image.thumb.png.e73fdc9e12f9e153f4d468cd10cd0c20.png

My newer surface 8 does pretty good on all respects.

System Name    AHB_SP8
System Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Model    Surface Pro 8
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    Surface_Pro_8_1983
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz, 2995 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Microsoft Corporation 18.104.143, 12/15/2022

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory    7.51 GB
Total Virtual Memory    18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory    8.25 GB
Page File Space    2.38 GB

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

The last update/build did change quite a bit. It also has prevented some brothers programs that did not get authorized by the FDS prior to release of the latest update to work. I have been using JWMerge for years to keep my devices and PC in sync so the notes were all the same and updated regularly. That program also is no longer compatable...I am so sad!! Perhaps a few kinks and it will all be straightened, or we will figure a way to work with whats provided! We can excercise patience...right?! 😃

8 hours ago, AH173 said:

If this info is correct your computer is possibly up to 5 years old. It has nice specs. It might be a few updates in the future where you may enjoy a better experience.

image.thumb.png.e73fdc9e12f9e153f4d468cd10cd0c20.png

My newer surface 8 does pretty good on all respects.

System Name    AHB_SP8
System Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Model    Surface Pro 8
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    Surface_Pro_8_1983
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz, 2995 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Microsoft Corporation 18.104.143, 12/15/2022

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory    7.51 GB
Total Virtual Memory    18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory    8.25 GB
Page File Space    2.38 GB

I have never experienced any problems with this computer and JW Library. I have had another laptops with lower specs running JW Library without problems too. I checked my iPad and the problem is also there.

4 hours ago, John Doe said:

I have never experienced any problems with this computer and JW Library. I have had another laptops with lower specs running JW Library without problems too. I checked my iPad and the problem is also there.

Has anyone with a similar set up contacted you with a similar problem?

I made back-ups for three devices before I realized JWLMerge did not work any longer, while I am hoping for the best on that end, I now realize I canot restore anything! Back-ups are there, but the file format is not compatible with the latest version of the app! So all the notes I took in PSS last week are not able to be resored into my PC! I'm crushed!! 

Again, trying to excercise patience, the slave has out best interest in miond when making adjustments, we will just have to wait and see how this all turns out!

22 minutes ago, marknpt said:

I made back-ups for three devices before I realized JWLMerge did not work any longer, while I am hoping for the best on that end, I now realize I canot restore anything! Back-ups are there, but the file format is not compatible with the latest version of the app! So all the notes I took in PSS last week are not able to be resored into my PC! I'm crushed!! 

Again, trying to excercise patience, the slave has out best interest in miond when making adjustments, we will just have to wait and see how this all turns out!

Agreed. I was very disappointed to find out the developer of JWMerge has stopped supporting it. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, marknpt said:

When I study, I use my laptop. When I'm at meetings, I use my iPad, and might also use my Android phone.

I backup to the cloud, to a folder on my laptop that is updated to Dropbox. Before a meeting, I restore the backup I made beforehand from Dropbox. If I make some notes under the meeting, I backup to the same Dropbox folder and when I get home I restore it on my laptop. That works pretty much all the time (unless I forget to make the backup/restore thing before adding new notes to my Laptop/iPad/Android phone...).

2 hours ago, John Doe said:

When I study, I use my laptop. When I'm at meetings, I use my iPad, and might also use my Android phone.

I backup to the cloud, to a folder on my laptop that is updated to Dropbox. Before a meeting, I restore the backup I made beforehand from Dropbox. If I make some notes under the meeting, I backup to the same Dropbox folder and when I get home I restore it on my laptop. That works pretty much all the time (unless I forget to make the backup/restore thing before adding new notes to my Laptop/iPad/Android phone...).

You overwrite everything (notes, gems, highlights etc) on a device when you use the in app restore, regardless of which device the restoration is from. So notes in ministry or meetings taken on a tablet will not be 'added' to the notes on the pc, but rather 'replace' all the existing notes, highlights and gems etc on said pc. That was the beauty of JWLMerge.

Currently it also appears now I am unable to 'restore' anything prior to the latest release due to the updated file format that has been adopted by the latest jwlib app.

A bit frustrating, but it will all work out I am confident.

1 hour ago, marknpt said:

You overwrite everything (notes, gems, highlights etc) on a device when you use the in app restore, regardless of which device the restoration is from. So notes in ministry or meetings taken on a tablet will not be 'added' to the notes on the pc, but rather 'replace' all the existing notes, highlights and gems etc on said pc. That was the beauty of JWLMerge.

Currently it also appears now I am unable to 'restore' anything prior to the latest release due to the updated file format that has been adopted by the latest jwlib app.

A bit frustrating, but it will all work out I am confident.

When I prepare myself for the WT-study, I make notes and highlights on my laptop. Afterwards I make a backup to Dropbox. The backup is then downloaded to my iPad and I use that to restore my notes on my iPad. Under the meeting I make a highlight in the Bible and maybe also in the WT. Afterwards I make a backup to Dropbox. When I get home and is preparing mid-week meeting or personal study, I restore the iPad-backup on my laptop before getting started with my study. Afterwards I make a backup and so on.

Since that screen does not seem to be in English - I have no idea what the error is you are encountering

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I seem to have the same problem with my iPad. Both my iPad and of course JWL are up to date. I opened the source from the talk in this week's "APPLY YOURSELF TO THE FIELD MINISTRY" part and then downloaded the Watchtower as well. Then I highlighted something in a paragraph and added a note to the highlight. However, it does not appear in the right column. In the tab "Personal Study" I find the note and can also edit it. Interestingly, in the current Watchtower I can make notes for markers, and they also appear in the right column. Does this have something to do with the age of the publication? The Watchtower for the talk is from 2013....
Seems to be a bug, or am I the only one with brother Per?

I seem to have the same problem with my iPad. Both my iPad and of course JWL are up to date. I opened the source from the talk in this week's "APPLY YOURSELF TO THE FIELD MINISTRY" part and then downloaded the Watchtower as well. Then I highlighted something in a paragraph and added a note to the highlight. However, it does not appear in the right column. In the tab "Personal Study" I find the note and can also edit it. Interestingly, in the current Watchtower I can make notes for markers, and they also appear in the right column. Does this have something to do with the age of the publication? The Watchtower for the talk is from 2013....
Seems to be a bug, or am I the only one with brother Per?
That's exactly what I've experienced. But also in other older WT's

Sendt fra min GM1913 med Tapatalk

Recently, I have installed the JW Library update (through the Microsoft Store) on my surface 5 and 8 laptops and noticed that the backups I perform on JW Library will not work on non windows devices.

I tried to apply my surface 5 JW Library backup on to my iPad, Samsung devices and amazon fire 10 devices and it says that the package is corrupted. But on the surface 5 and 8 no problem. Its no big deal but it is inconvenient. I hope the brothers will solve soon.

On 8/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, AH173 said:

Recently, I have installed the JW Library update (through the Microsoft Store) on my surface 5 and 8 laptops and noticed that the backups I perform on JW Library will not work on non windows devices.

I tried to apply my surface 5 JW Library backup on to my iPad, Samsung devices and amazon fire 10 devices and it says that the package is corrupted. But on the surface 5 and 8 no problem. Its no big deal but it is inconvenient. I hope the brothers will solve soon.

Good news! With the latest update on my Samsung (Android) devices, I can install my surface 5 and 8 backups. 

Yay! 

• 5 weeks later...

Go to the website and download the audio file of the Watchtower. It will be downloaded in the Download folder. Create a Playlist. Open it. Below it will give you the opportunity to add a file. Click on it and select your audio file from the Download folder. 

You can also Drag and Drop the file in the Playlist.

Edited by molnarj