JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coffee. Yes, coffee

I like coffee very much, I drink 2 times a day, I keep in mind what Awake! magazine said about using paper filter to avoid cholesterol:
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000005
As for getting the most flavor out of it, a brother who worked in coffee said that to enhance its flavor the most you should use these 3 things and in this order:
1) drink a glass of water to lead the way.
2) drink a good coffee.
3) An ounce or chocolate bonbon to enhance its effect.

My story is somewhat different.  I grew up in a house where my parents drank coffee, but the kids were not given an option.  I drank milk for breakfast until I was 17 years old whether the breakfast was eggs or pancakes.  My older sister started to drink coffee when she was about 17 or 18.  Suddenly, one day my mother said, "I don't know how you can drink milk wait pancakes."  (Mainly it was because I had drank milk with pancakes for years without an option.

I started drinking coffee.  I originally drank it black but would usually drink it when I was having something sweet, like pie or pancakes.  (Going back to when I was 12, I started having migraine headaches.  I realized that when I ate cheese too often the headaches would occur.  I did not know why but I avoided cheese and the headaches subsided.)

The first time I had an overnight job (especially in the winter) I wanted to drink a cup of hot coffee.  The migraine headaches started again even though I was avoiding the cheese.  I later made the connection between drinking coffee and my migraines.  (I was at a doctor's office once and made the statement that I knew what caused my migraines,  This doctor made a snide remark about 'everyone thinks they know what causes migraines and I didn't say anything else.  In a different doctor's office a few years later, I again made the comment that, 'I think I know what causes my migraines.'  The doctor stopped writing and seemed to be listening, so I continued, 'Cheese and coffee are what cause my migraines.  He said, "That's amazing. No one ever figures that out."  He then explained that cheese contains tyramine (when it ages) and coffee contains caffeine and both of those things are baso-reactants.  He said that some people as soon as the migraine started would go to the emergency room and get a shot that was a baso-suppressant.  I never did that.  I just avoided coffee and cheese or sometimes suffered the pain.)  Over the years, I found that the migraines eased up or (almost) completely stopped when I was about 35.

My wife and I ordered some Gevalia coffee about 30 years ago.  (They gave us a free coffee pot to try it.)  The coffee was delicious.  Unfortunately, the coffee was in a box in individual packs with different flavors.  A bug got inside the box but never got into the individual packs.  My daughter-in-law saw the bug in the box and threw all the rest of the coffee away. I contacted the company and they said that if I had contacted them sooner they would have replaced the coffee.  Since it had been so long, they did not replace it.

Nowadays I drink coffee every day, about 2 cups and sometimes 3.  I do not have any migraines.  I also eat plenty of cheese with no ill effects.

The Gevalia was absolutely delicious, but I have never ordered any more.

Edited by Witness1970

Starteed to correct some spelling, but actually made no changes.

I remember as a young man working on the Puyallup, Washington Assembly Hall in 1976. They had these large coffee pots, and someone put a funny sign on them to the effect of "you would be bitter too if you were run through the grounds all day". I never drank any of the coffee, but I heard it was "interesting".  We had it tough in those days too. Bottled water was not readily available. On the West coast, at least in Oregon and Washington we had the choices of coffee, Shasta soda pop, basically frozen orange juice and milk to drink. I am not sure if there were dispensers of hot water, probably in the areas where tea was the choice. 

71M2NlKR+0L._SL1500_.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

I have posted something similar on another chat but this is my setup.  I actually start the day with juice which atm is freshly squeezed oranges off my tree. Then I have a coffee with my breakfast.  I may have another later in the morning or early afternoon but usually no more than 2 coffees a day. I’m not a coffee snob but I do enjoy a good coffee.  It’s nearly 6am tues so after emptying the dishwasher I’m going to make my juice.🍊73F23157-2DF6-4209-A33F-5BBD1345EB04.thumb.jpeg.3c902fc3d2789c92f9f253577c01be86.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 9:01 PM, Tortuga said:

I love a good cup of English Breakfast tea or Irish Breakfast tea but sometimes the tannins kill my stomach. I let the bag seep for 3-4 minutes and take it out. If I leave it longer than that it is too acidic for me. What's your secret?

I like to have a cup of coffee in the morning, sometimes I will have a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon, however if I drink on an empty stomach the acids tear me up. I recently read about adding a pinch of Baking Soda to neutralize the acid and it works. I add a very tiny amount of Baking Soda and the acid in the coffee or tea doesn't bother me.  :thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I add a very tiny amount of Baking Soda and the acid in the coffee or tea doesn't bother me.  :thumbsup:

I've been getting heartburn lately.  Sometimes it comes in like a tsunami  :nuke:.   One thing I try now is to just boil the water and have a cup of hot water.  Coffee afterwards.

I think I'll try the baking soda idea.

Here's a true story:  Back in 1977 I was in Bethel at Watchtower Farm.  If I remember correctly, the economy in the US wasn't good.  Anyway, the brothers decided to replace brewed coffee with packets of instant coffee to save money.  We had temporary workers coming in and they had taken time away from their jobs and paid their own travel to be there.  One brother in particular complained that they should at least have a good cup of coffee for their sacrifices.  The brewed coffee was reinstated  :coffee:

1 minute ago, Doug said:

Back in 1977 I was in Bethel at Watchtower Farm.

Sounds similar to the coffee that was provided at the building of the Puyallup Assembly Hall in Washington State. There was a sign on the pot that comically warned those about to drink it. They took a photo of the sign and it was used during the dedication. The coffee that night after the dedication was much better. Of course, there was cake served which made the coffee better. The cake was shaped like the Assembly Hall.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

23 minutes ago, Doug said:

Back in 1977 I was in Bethel at Watchtower Farm

Did you ever know Bruce Weiland or Linda Walker?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

40 minutes ago, Doug said:

One thing I try now is to just boil the water and have a cup of hot water.  Coffee afterwards.

I have been doing that for years but if i have the coffee on an empty stomach, the acid still bother me. The pinch of baking soda helps.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

My way to enjoy a cup of coffee

Red Wine No Thanks GIF by Scary Mommy

You enjoy coffee by dumping a glass of wine down the sink? 

I don't get it...:confused:

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Just picture that glass of wine as a cup of coffee ...

I hope I never make that mistake! :eek: