JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Service Year for the Pioneers

Hello Friends.  Tell me, is it common practice or just something that we used to do in our small congregation.  While I was in the Portuguese congregation, The elders did so much to take care of the pioneers. Besides the theocratic stuff, making sure there was always territory, support for service, special preaching campaigns, They would treat the pioneers to luncheons or dinners. Every time there was a pioneer meeting with the CO or just with the elders, they would organize food or snacks. Sometimes there was a musical presentation. Every year, i would buy pocket calendars from MJC or madzay for the pioneers. It was always something to make them feel appreciated. Since we moved to English, I noticed that the elders here just dont have the impetus to do anything special for them. I've tried to get it going but nothing seems to get the ball rolling. I make mention of at least doing something special for the new service year, but it seems that the only ones that want to contribute are other regular pioneers. I think my wife is tired of me spending so much money every year.  Our congregation has like 26 reg pioneers.  

Last year there was a sister that gave the pioneers monogrammed cookies with their names and happy new service year written on them. We gave them little gift bags. Little glass sheep salt shakers. We tied little scriptures related to sheeplike ones etc to each one. We gave them little packets of seeds with a label that said something like Sew your seed in the morning etc etc. And several other little small gifts.  

So tell me, Do other congregations do anything special for their pioneers or was that something that they do in our neck of the woods?

If you do, what ideas do you have for small inexpensive gifts.

Here at the Pioneer meetings or during the new service year there are sometimes gifts given or exchanged.

Bags of "encourage-mints." Small keychains, handmade bookmarks, small notes with emergency scriptures, etc. Inexpensive gifts mean just as much, it's the thought that makes them count. ❤️^_^

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

No, I’ve never heard of anything like this in any congregation I’ve been in. It might be something that happens in a close-knit non-English congregation (I used to be in a Greek congregation once and they were far more hospitable). It sounds like a very lovely idea for every pioneer to feel special.  Maybe try something less expensive but that can still show you care?

I like the encourage-mints too! 💗😉

Our congregation has 44 regular pioneers and had a get together where everyone was invited and after a nice meal a picture was taken of the pioneers. Everyone in our congregation is made to feel special. 11 of our elders are pioneers. Our COBE, a pioneer, had to be replaced because he and his wife were accepted to SkE and now are there in Palm Coast, Fl.  They used to be in circuit work until they found out there would be a 3rd member in the family! Their son grew up and now is at Bethel! Showing appreciation for one another makes our congregation spiritually strong, and very loving..so yes..the pioneers are very much appreciated. The whole congregation also hosted a special meal for our elders. 😃

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

13 hours ago, darealpipe said:

is it common practice or just something that we used to do in our small congregation.

It is something that our congregation has done before.  The last "Appreciation" get together we had, I arranged.  I was really disappointed though because I didn't have a lot of involvement from others in the congregation.  But it was still fun and I welcomed and little gifts that any in the congregation wanted to share with the pioneers. It's definitely something we need to do again.

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

We generally have our Congregation Pioneer Meeting in December or January.  The pioneers and elders buy gifts for each other; during one of the pandemic meetings, I personally delivered special travel mugs to each of the elders.  We received something similar from them.

When in person, there is generally a little dinner provided - sandwiches, sweets, etc. and time to socialize a bit.  It's nice! :) 

In years gone by the end of service year pioneer meeting has been followed by a nice get together.  It hasn’t happened in every congregation I have been in.  The one I’m in now has a lovely meal together after our annual pioneer meeting.  We had an elder with a pool and he hosted the meeting and afters until he moved.  Of course the few years of covid stopped  the get togethers.  Last year one of the pioneers hosted it.  We all contribute food etc.  The husbands/wives are all invited to the meal as well.  This year’s meeting I’ll see if anyone volunteers their home and I might consider having it at my place.  We don’t exchange gifts though.  I would say as a general rule our elders are not overly hospitable so to offer to host a get together would be right out of their comfort zone.  I would also say I don’t feel our elders take an active interest in pioneers.  At last service year’s meeting we were told all the pioneers were going to get a shepherding call in June.  Sadly June has come and gone and none of us (17 atm) has had a visit.   Not that, that bothers me.  I am not pioneering for that reason.  All in all, all the end of service year pioneer meetings that I have been to have been very encouraging and up building.  Looking forward to this next one.  We usually have around Jan/Feb.