JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

6 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

We cannot stand still, we have gone far since 1984. Jehovah keep refining us. 

But never forget.  Jehovah explains the need for the old ones to tell the younger ones in Psalm 48:13...

"Set your hearts upon its ramparts. Inspect its fortified towers, So that you may tell about it to future generations."

13 minutes ago, jwhess said:

But never forget.  Jehovah explains the need for the old ones to tell the younger ones in Psalm 48:13...

"Set your hearts upon its ramparts. Inspect its fortified towers, So that you may tell about it to future generations."

Thanks and you’re a billion percent right on this. It is sad that many in our organization do not know its history. Many do not know who was Pastor Russell or Judge Rutherford. And when you talk to some about its history, it voodoo to them and that scares me. The old ones during the Russell and Rutherford days have have died off. Us die hard’s need to tell them what happened no matter it was good or bad times.

Edited by Dustparticle

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ah ok. So it’s Pittsburgh. I didn’t think it looked like Brooklyn 😄

Sorry, i could have said it was Pittsburg.  The Centennial Annual Meeting was moved back to Pittsburg (Allegheny) and held in the stadium.  the special AM brochure included historical notations and a touring map to various buildings and locations that were of historical importance to Jehovah's Witnesses.  It included the directions to the cemetery where CT Russell was buried. 

It should be noted that this was the 100 year anniversary of the "Corporation" from 1884.  It was not the 100th anniversary of the Watchtower in 1979.  Different organizations with different presidents.  Those 5 years of progress began what we have today.

EDIT" page 5 of the brochure says we printed 200 million pages of literature BEFORE we incorporated...❤️

wt1.JPG

Edited by jwhess

I love  the organization history also,, I have fFAITH ON THE MARCH. ON AUDIBLE,, very enlightening!!! How the brothers fair while incarcerated, and bro McMillan thought bro Russell  received angelic support to write,, but he assured him it was not the case . Among many other things/ accounts . 

On 10/19/2023 at 2:03 AM, MU ORL said:

Who else remembers the Centennial brochure?

On 10/19/2023 at 6:16 AM, Dustparticle said:

And when you talk to some about its history, it voodoo to them and that scares me. The old ones during the Russell and Rutherford days have have died off. Us die hard’s need to tell them what happened no matter it was good or bad times.

I believe that the 1984 Centennial event at the Three Rivers Stadium was the last known public appearance of Leo Greenlees as a member of the Governing Body, before he disappeared.

image.thumb.png.e4e502bd7de82a176a6a10378527047d.png

13 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Disappear or removed.

Disappeared, and not mentioned again.

He was 'last' mentioned in the Watchtower 1 December 1984 when he handed out the diplomas for the Gilead graduation in September 1984, a month before the Centennial Annual Meeting.

I believe he died in 1988.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:31 PM, jwhess said:

I have my copy and my wife has hers.  My 2 daughters took theirs with them when they got married.

cen1.JPG

Do those cover things that happened between those years?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

Do those cover things that happened between those years?

Somewhat, but very brief.  It is only a 32 page brochure.  Some of the brochure is arranged as a meeting program and partly as a tour guide.  Br. Paul above has left a link to download the copy from our library.  You can see for yourself.

14 minutes ago, momma said:

Is there a way to download it as a pdf? I can only save it as a JW pub file.

Sr. Connie, check your PM.  I sent a link to my Box account to download a PGF of the brochure.

sr.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Parale said:

Disappeared, and not mentioned again.

He was 'last' mentioned in the Watchtower 1 December 1984 when he handed out the diplomas for the Gilead graduation in September 1984, a month before the Centennial Annual Meeting.

I believe he died in 1988.

This is murky. Was there ever an official statement that he was removed/resigned/stepped down/asked to leave, as they did in the case of Raymond Franz and more recently Anthony Morris? Was he disfellowshipped? Was he still serving at Bethel as at time of death? Was he still a GB member as at time of death?

1 hour ago, truce said:

This is murky. Was there ever an official statement that he was removed/resigned/stepped down/asked to leave

No, not that I've seen.

1 hour ago, truce said:

as they did in the case of Raymond Franz and more recently Anthony Morris?

FWIW the statement regarding Anthony Morris has now been deleted/removed.

1 hour ago, truce said:

Was he still a GB member as at time of death?

No, I understand Leo Greenlees finished his earthly course in 1988. The Yearbook for 1986, which would've been written/printed towards the end of 1985, stated:

Yearbook 1986, page 255

"For your information, there are now 13 members comprising the Governing Body: Carey W. Barber, John E. Barr, W. Lloyd Barry, John C. Booth, Frederick W. Franz, George Gangas, Milton G. Henschel, Theodore Jaracz, Karl F. Klein, Martin Poetzinger, Albert D. Schroeder, Lyman A. Swingle, and Daniel Sydlik."

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/301986014#h=8

Therefore it appears that Leo Greenlees left the Governing Body at some point between, approximately, November 1984 - October 1985.