JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

J. W.'s ordered to pay more than $20 million

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3665 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

That is a lot of donations that could be used to print magazines or build the new headquarters. I will be interested to follow this appeal.

As was stated in the article, it will be MANY years before the case is finally decided and before any funds are paid out. The Attorneys at the Mccabe law firm are all brothers, so there are no Attorney fees over whatever court costs there are, so even if it's dragged out for years, it will not cost the organization much until all appeals are exhausted and a final judgement is rendered.

Just because its a law office of brothers doesn't mean they don't get paid, does it? Or are these Bethel's lawyers?

Just because its a law office of brothers doesn't mean they don't get paid, does it? Or are these Bethel's lawyers?

I know Jim Mccabe and his two sons, Jesse and Ryan, also Lawyers. They are donating their time to the defense. Only any filing fees and court costs will be billed.

I know Jim Macabe and his two sons, Jesse and Ryan, also Lawyers. They are donating their time to the defense. Only any filing fees and court costs will be billed.

Wow thats an impressive sacrifice! Do they have other cases? It seems like if this is getting national media attention, it is a pretty big and time consuming case.

I know Jim Macabe and his two sons, Jesse and Ryan, also Lawyers. They are donating their time to the defense. Only any filing fees and court costs will be billed.

Wow thats an impressive sacrifice! Do they have other cases? It seems like if this is getting national media attention, it is a pretty big and time consuming case.

Yes, they are handling one for me right now and I know of several cases that they just cleared. They also handle a lot of corporate legal issues for the branch and some of them had to go back east for the corporation meeting last month.

http://www.mccabelaw.net/our_practice.html

As a former police officer and detective in a specialized unit, Ive had my share in child molestation cases and was educated and trained in Criminal Forensic Psychology. The psyche of a child molester is pityful and dangerous. It would be the same as a serial rapist or killer. If Child molestor has more than one victim, they become socialpaths and blend in very well in almost any environment where they are targeting a victim(s). They ingratiate themselves for months or years to become accepted thus being more dangerous than psychopaths. They are very manipulative and see people as objects for them to play with at thier leisure. Thier view of the world is three dimensional, me, myself and I. You can only catch them when the victim turns up and by that time, were riding their wake of disasters; they've already moved on.

We also need to remember that this is a traumatic time for the victim because they must relive the ordeal to BOE(s) in charge of the case then again to the police and of course the investigators. Victims go through emotional and psychological traumas because of varying disbelief amongst family members and many times members of the community.

Lets be honest. If you heard so and so did this type of crime, and he or she was a respected member, many would be in disbelief and people would start to question the victim.

I'm a realist. This is Jehovah's organization and its perfect, but its run by imperfect men and Satan's know each and everyone of our flaws. Some can control it and some cant.

Thats my two cents...

I haven't read all the court details but its a shame to see the org held responsible... I still don't understand how the JW's could be sued.

That is why the appeal is so necessary.

Essentially the court decision is that you, me, the members of this board, and our 7+ million brothers and sisters are held responsible for the actions of one knucklehead.

Senseless!

The term is called Vicarious Liability. The term is derived that if you have been trained by your superiors to adhere to policy and procedures in the course of your duty, then they are also liable. This is what every attorney lives for when they sue companies and corporations because they know that the $$ trail gets larger the higher up you go in the chain. The same applies.

A good example of this will be a police officer who does something wrong in the public eye. He becomes liable because of the people who he answers to up the chain of command all the way to the Mayor's office. This is very common in lawsuits.

The apostates are having a field day with this news.

That is why the appeal is so necessary.

Essentially the court decision is that you, me, the members of this board, and our 7+ million brothers and sisters are held responsible for the actions of one knucklehead.

Senseless!

The term is called Vicarious Liability. The term is derived that if you have been trained by your superiors to adhere to policy and procedures in the course of your duty, then they are also liable. This is what every attorney lives for when they sue companies and corporations because they know that the $$ trail gets larger the higher up you go in the chain. The same applies.

Yup, but of course the Watchtower Society never instructed elders to act in a way harmful to anyone. Thus why the appeal is needed.

Even though it was the Watchtower Society that was ordered to pay, the news outlets report it as a judgment against Jehovah's Witnesses, which drags the name of all of us through the mud, not to mention Jehovah himself!

I like this article better. It's more fair I think.

It really doesn't matter at this point. Remember, the media is a part of this system and controlled by Satan and they will put whatever spin on it to make the Society look that were harboring deviants. I found out a long time ago that the media does not have to tell the truth and will sensationalize what ever story they see fit.

The Society has taken steps since then with the authorities locally should an accusation be made against another brother or sister involving child molestation. Like any case involving victimization, people want retroactive punishment. That s not possible because of limitations within the law. Additionally, if a person repents, who are we to judge when Jehovah forgives all. Victims want payback. This case is just the beginning and it sets precedence. Many more will be coming out . Class action lawsuit is inevitable in the future. This is reality.

Brothers and Sisters,

I was surprised to read this in New York Times.It is shocking!

We know that this is part of Satan's plot. Lamestream media will exploit this sensational story.

Modesty is not something we can simply define in a way that suits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

I pray fervently that Jehovah will sanctify His name in this matter immediately. I cannot bear the thought of His name being even mentioned in connection with something like this.

This is exactly why this breaks my heart.

Same here.

but the end is getting closer, no doubt Satan will do worse and worse... against Jehovah's name.

Satan knows that this is working for false religion, he has tried it several times, now, maybe he is using it against his real target : Jehovah.

Brace for impact ! the end is near ! Let's continue to draw close to Jehovah !

I pray fervently that Jehovah will sanctify His name in this matter immediately. I cannot bear the thought of His name being even mentioned in connection with something like this.

This is exactly why this breaks my heart.

We have to look at things in a balanced way and get things in prespective

Firstly, this case is not over. If an organization is going to be held financially accountable

for the actions of its ordinary members - even those formerly in a position of responsibility -

there will be an awful lot of religous and non-religious bodies that will be looking at this and

feeling mighty nervouse.

Secondly, no organization can be 100% free of sexual preditors, its simply impossible. We have

to accept that. Wasn't Satan himself once an "active" member of the heavenly organization?

Thirdly even if this does go through it will be an opportunity for the brothers to identify any

weak spots in our policies - there have been changes over the years and this ultimately makes us

stronger.

Remember our history, in the 1950's we sufferered many defeats that later worked out for our favor.

Here in France we had a legal battle that lasted 16 YEARS! We lost and lost and lost again. The brothers

were VERY worried since if the law had gone through it would have meant the financial end to Jehovah's Witnesses

in France (as a people of course we cannot be stopped or legislated against but it would have been a legal

precident that would have had disastrous effects all over Europe).

But more importantly, as in this weeks Watchtower it speaks about the attack of Gog, we must understand

that the day will come when we have no legal recourse. At the moment we can expect justice but

the day is coming when our enemies WILL be "victorious", when we do have nowhere to turn, we probably

will loose all our beautiful bethel homes and properties as he closes in on us... what will we do then? Panic

like the Israelites at the red sea?

Yes, the apostates are milking this for all they can, before the higher courts no doubt overturn it and you can bet

you laptop they are avidly reading THIS thread and taking notes, what they want is that we are disheartened or

humiliated by this and there is absolutely no reason to be. If the brothers followed directives then they did all they

could, if they directives needed to be clarified they have since been. In the meantime, Jesus is in the driving seat; nothing

will happen to his earthly congregation that he doesn't allow.

**Brother webmaster: If this commentary is more suitable for another forum please accept my apologies and feel free to

move it**

Yes, the apostates are milking this for all they can, before the higher courts no doubt overturn it and you can bet

you laptop they are avidly reading THIS thread and taking notes, what they want is that we are disheartened or

humiliated by this and there is absolutely no reason to be.

The "In the News & Current Events" forum is publicly visible* and yes there has been a spike in traffic to this topic in recent days coming from links posted over on the dark side.

http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/857.png

What is sad, is that we are disgusted that any child would be molested by anyone at all. Opposers and apostates on the other hand are delighted to see anything negative in association with God's name and people. Sickos!

* Log out or open another browser to see how it looks to unregistered guests.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jury-hung-charges-priest-abuse-trial-16611450#.T-IJyBevLTo

Jury Hung on Most Charges in Pa. Priest Abuse Case

Monsignor William Lynn is the first U.S. church official ever charged with crimes for his handling of clergy-abuse complaints.

Lynn, 61, is charged with conspiracy and child endangerment for allegedly helping the Roman Catholic church cover up abuse complaints. Lynn served as secretary for clergy in the Philadelphia archdiocese from 1992 to 2004. He faces up to 21 years in prison if convicted.

Brennan, 48, is charged with attempted rape and child endangerment for his alleged abuse of a 14-year-old boy during an overnight at the priest's apartment in 1996.

Another priest, the Rev. Edward Avery, pleaded guilty to sexual assault before trial and is in prison. Lynn is charged with endangering his victim and Brennan's accuser.

Here we have a church official who did hide and permit A PRIEST to continue as one and covered up complaints and the jury is hung / can't decide???

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Actual Truth Of Jehovah's Witnesses Views on Child Abuse. jw-media.org

Inquiries on Child Abuse—Our Response

Child abuse is an evil. It is an evil of our time. . . . The Bible says you should hate what is bad, and that certainly would include child abuse. . . . Our top priority is to protect the victims.”

J. R. Brown, Organizational Spokesman for Jehovah’s Witnesses;

Philip Brumley, General Counsel for Jehovah’s Witnesses

Length: 2 minutes

Transcript (in PDF format)

ED> to fix links ;)

We have to look at things in a balanced way and get things in prespective

Remember our history, in the 1950's we sufferered many defeats that later worked out for our favor.

Here in France we had a legal battle that lasted 16 YEARS! We lost and lost and lost again. The brothers

were VERY worried since if the law had gone through it would have meant the financial end to Jehovah's Witnesses

in France (as a people of course we cannot be stopped or legislated against but it would have been a legal

precident that would have had disastrous effects all over Europe).

But more importantly, as in this weeks Watchtower it speaks about the attack of Gog, we must understand

that the day will come when we have no legal recourse. At the moment we can expect justice but

the day is coming when our enemies WILL be "victorious", when we do have nowhere to turn, we probably

will loose all our beautiful bethel homes and properties as he closes in on us... what will we do then? Panic

like the Israelites at the red sea?

humiliated by this and there is absolutely no reason to be. If the brothers followed directives then they did all they

could, if they directives needed to be clarified they have since been. In the meantime, Jesus is in the driving seat; nothing

will happen to his earthly congregation that he doesn't allow.

Very well put, Sister Rosie. Merci beaucoup (Thank you very much)!

Would it be okay to print out the posts in this thread? I would like to give these responses to a sister in our hall who has been feeling a bit stumbled over this court case. I've been prayerfully trying to think of encouraging and scriptural things to say to her, but I think the responses and posts in this thread will really help.

. . . . . . . . and yes there has been a spike in traffic to this topic in recent days coming from links posted over on the dark side . . . . . .

Fairs fair Bob. Just because I am asleep when your side of the world is awake enjoying daytime . . ? ? ? :P:lol1: