JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi all

I'm in the UK

For a long time I used Amazon Alexa to play the Daily Text, Bible Reading, Original Songs etc

But for some reason it no longer works

The JW "skill" is still showing there and enabled but nothing happens.

Has the support for JW stopped with Amazon Alexa, or is it just a problem for me?

I’m in the USA and have no problem with Alexa and  jw.org. But, The command I have to use first is “Alexa, play jw.org”. Then wait until it connects.  When it connects then the command I say is  “play_______(fill in the blank, such as play original songs)

If I don’t use this sequence of words Alexa will tell me playing jw.org music is not supported.  I had added an icon for jw.org but it doesn’t seem to work.
Being a newby to Alexa and thats all I really know about using the device. 
Hope it works out for you.  

I'm in the US and new to using Alexa (I recently inherited one) and found that, after getting Alexa attention and naming the task/skill you must say, "from JW dot org" ... if I don't say "dot" it doesn't work

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, booboo said:

I’m in the USA and have no problem with Alexa and  jw.org. But, The command I have to use first is “Alexa, play jw.org”. Then wait until it connects.  When it connects then the command I say is  “play_______(fill in the blank, such as play original songs)

If I don’t use this sequence of words Alexa will tell me playing jw.org music is not supported.  I had added an icon for jw.org but it doesn’t seem to work.
Being a newby to Alexa and thats all I really know about using the device. 
Hope it works out for you.  

I used to say "Alexa, play this week's bible reading from JW dot org" and it worked fine, but now, nothing. 

1 hour ago, AndyCase said:

say "Alexa, play this week's bible reading from JW dot org

Just tried your phrase and it worked.  Maybe do a soft reset on your Alexa by unplugging it   Just a thought……

I do occasionally need to do that with my uni. It does seem to get confused or maybe it’s me🤷‍♀️

11 hours ago, AndyCase said:

Hi all

I'm in the UK

For a long time I used Amazon Alexa to play the Daily Text, Bible Reading, Original Songs etc

But for some reason it no longer works

The JW "skill" is still showing there and enabled but nothing happens.

Has the support for JW stopped with Amazon Alexa, or is it just a problem for me?

Have you tried the classic turn it completely off and back on again? 

You could add the jw.org skill to a routine.  When I tell Alexa "Good morning", it will do the following steps.   After it announces it's on jw.org, I tell it to "Read the daily text", or "play morning worship", or something else.

Screenshot_2024-01-05-14-50-29-88_141309a7379982865806771bd175c1f6.thumb.jpg.c48a52b3eb3f07a3eaca412e6d61e068.jpg

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

According to the jw.org website, we support Alexa and Google for voice assistant

https://www.jw.org/open?docid=500800007&prefer=lang&wtlocale=E

Thank you.  I did notice that it was a 2019 article.  The reference about not supporting one of the audio-response apps was less than a year ago based on and update by one of the commercial software companies.

Since I don't have a Google smart device for controlling anything, I have no personal experience if things have changed since that 2019 article.

However, I just inherited an Amazon Echo and Echo Dot. I also loaded the Alexa app on my Windows PC. I did enable the "JW Skill" by following this link (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YSRTQ27/).

As I was typing this, with the Alexa App running on the PC, I said, "Alexa, read todays text from jw dot org" and my PC read todays text with a female voice.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Thank you.  I did notice that it was a 2019 article.  The reference about not supporting one of the audio-response apps was less than a year ago based on and update by one of the commercial software companies.

I finally found the announcement I was looking for,

MARCH 27, 2023
WHAT’S NEW

Google Assistant Support for JW.ORG Discontinued

As of June 2023, Google Assistant will no longer support voice commands for jw.org as a result of a permanent change by Google. This change will not affect the jw.org skill on Amazon Alexa.