JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apple Vision Pro: Anyone buying?

I'm not a "gotta have the latest gadget" kinda guy.....well, I don't think so.  But the Apple Vision Pro looks quite interesting.  I'm buying. 

Anyone else?

If not, I'll report back and let folks know how it is and whether it's useful in any "theocratic" or any spiritual way. 

(Rationalization: I'm getting darn old, can't play sports like I used to, have trouble walking upright, or even waking much farther than to my car and back.  So, though I do NOT play video games (don't get me started on that!), I do tend to look for stuff I can do in my study/library.  So I want to test this out. It does look mighty cool!)

Brother Lloyd, please keep us updated with your experiences with Vision Pro, it looks very interesting!

To be honest, when I first saw this, it seemed so futuristic, hard to believe that such technology is already available.

And I think this may even be more beneficial for those who have any disabilities making researching and computing much easier.

Look forward to your future posts, thanks. 

For those who have not heard about this, below is a detailed video I had watched on it’s capabilities.

(Scroll down several pictures on the website until you see the picture below, then hit “Watch the film”)

image.thumb.png.263dae3a26f65da392a617bf0ee65911.png

Link:

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

1 hour ago, coony77 said:

Yes, me - as soon as there's an Android version and a rich grandpa who adopts me 😄

I vote this as the most funny post in January ... 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

5 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I just saw the price and almost had a stroke ...LOL 🤣

It hit me the same way when I first saw it, not to mention the fact that with 1TB of storage, an extra battery, a carrying case, the latest charger and charging cord, corrective Zeiss lenses, and taxes it cost me over $4,800.00!!  And I may find that I’ll also need the $100 Apple keyboard.

However, for me personally, an old dude who seldom even uses his car, I compared the cost of a vehicle to the cost of the AVP, and realized that since I spend much, much more time at home than in my car, comparatively speaking, the AVP is much cheaper, especially when compared to some of the SUV’s in out parking lot. Ever priced a loaded Denali? Woe!

Not judging anyone, but I thought that for me, in the life I’m rather forced into by age, this might be worth a shot.  There may be down sides that I’m unaware of, making it a waste of funds. But, we’ll see. Apple advertising can be compelling, but I’ll post the raw truth as I see it when I’ve “driven” it for a while, though mine doesn’t arrive till the last part of February, 2024.

And I certainly don’t want to try and move someone who doesn’t have the funds to buy in.  Being debt free is much more valuable than any material thing in my opinion.

Oops, I’ve run off at the mouth again. Sorry about that!

3 hours ago, Dages said:

I'm quite anti-Apple because of the price and the system itself. 

Up until just a few months ago, I felt the exact same way you do. Everything I owned was either android or windows. No Apple products at all……until I found out that JW Library was optimized for the iPad, and has no lag even with absolutely everything in English downloaded into JW Library, included all the videos (except 1) downloaded in 720p. Also no lag in the latest iPhones with everything downloaded!

Price is a bear though, isn’t it? Still, I’ve found that in this particular case, one does get what one pays for, at least at this point of time. So I’m taking a chance on the AVP. 

On the other hand, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. And I may prove to be just that fool. We’ll see.

14 hours ago, Lloyd777 said:

f not, I'll report back and let folks know how it is and whether it's useful in any "theocratic" or any spiritual way. 

I have a Quest 2, and I'm eventually planning on upgrading to the Quest 3 and giving the Quest 2 to my daughter.  One thing I did for a while, until Meta removed it....😠  was look at the videos on jw.org using their version of a virtual desktop in a virtual home that I and my very creative daughter painstakingly made look like a home in the new world.  It had the perfect background overlooking a forested valley.  Hearing the GB talk about life in paradise while sitting on a virtual couch(that I positioned so that when I physically walked over to it and sat down, I sat down on my real couch) in that house is something that even affected my wife, who before that practically refused to put it on.  It now has some virtual homes that come close, but don't match what they used to have, especially with the endless choices of interior decorations you could use.  

I'm not a "gotta have the latest gadget" kinda guy.....well, I don't think so.  But the Apple Vision Pro looks quite interesting.  I'm buying. 

Anyone else?

If not, I'll report back and let folks know how it is and whether it's useful in any "theocratic" or any spiritual way. 

(Rationalization: I'm getting darn old, can't play sports like I used to, have trouble walking upright, or even waking much farther than to my car and back.  So, though I do NOT play video games (don't get me started on that!), I do tend to look for stuff I can do in my study/library.  So I want to test this out. It does look mighty cool!)

I am looking forward to your review. With total new category of gadget I usually wait until version three or four. Although, I don’t see a lot of use cases for me I’d really like to know how you find it.

(Tapatalk)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

03/28/24

I immediately got the H1N1 flu that lasted for 3 weeks the day after I got the Apple Vision Pro.  Perhaps that should have told me something?

Anyway, do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Good news:  If you watch a lot of movies or even if you just like having a huge screen for watching JW videos, like even the "Morning Worship" talks (which I love), and you like the "Was It Designed" videos (who doesn't?) or any of our videos for that matter, the AVP is great.  I can't wait to see the "Jesus" video on this thing when it is released!

The AVP is like having a large theater room in this relatively small device, and comparatively cheap compared to the cost of a high-end theater room. It's like being on the front row at a convention, so your attention is greatly increased, though you'd be hard pressed to take notes, unless you are a good typist, which I am not.  But with such astounding clarity and with such a gigantic view, you will likely get more from what you see and hear.  The sound is pretty fantastic too, though you won't be able to actually feel the bass as well as if you have a couple of quality sub-woofers on your stereo system.  But what is called "spatial sound" coming from the AVP is pretty fantastic.

More good news is that many of the apps that work well on an iPad, will also work pretty well on the AVP, and that includes JW Library!  There is not a JW Library app created by the brothers specifically for the AVP, but there is the app that was designed for the iPad that works fairly well on the AVP. That was huge news to me since JW Library is where I spend a lot of my time.

The 3d pics and videos you can take with the AVP or even with an iPhone 15 or better, are stunning!  Man oh man I wish I had this when my kids and grandkids were young!  The 3d stuff is so good it'll make you cry.

The AVP has several other WOW factors, but I'm limiting this post to mostly what I think might be the most interesting for our JW community.

Bad news:  I'm gonna start off with the worst thing.  If you have a wife/husband or family, the AVP will most likely distance you from them.  Apple tried hard to reduce the isolation factor by allowing someone to see your face (or at least a representation of your face) when someone approaches.  But that doesn't quite do it.  Sure, if you're single there won't be a problem and the AVP may be perfect for you.  But it does distance you from those in your household, and that's not an insignificant thing to consider.  Imagine watching a video or movie that you and your wife/husband or family might like watching together.  That ain't happening if you are separated from them when you're inside the AVP world.  But I must say, on the other hand, that if your wife/husband or family is watching something you can't stand, then the AVP can be a "way out."  For instance, I have trouble buying into sci-fi or superhero movies, which my wife enjoys.  I just fall asleep.  I'd rather be watching some documentary or comedy or JW Library video.  But even then, you can see how the AVP could take on the role of isolator.  Beware of that!

Other bad news:  It's heavy and can press in rather heavily on your face.  The included head strap can be used in place of the strap that goes back around your head, but there still can be a bit of discomfort.

It's not as functional to use with JW Library as one might wish.  I'm regularly making notes and highlighting answers in JW Library (on my iPad).  So far, that's not so easy with the AVP.  With the exception of watching videos or listening to this or that, I much prefer my iPad to the AVP.  It may be that I just haven't mastered highlighting answers with the AVP yet (which involves focusing on what you want to highlight and then "clicking" (by bringing your thumb and forefinger together), but using the Apple Pencil on an iPad seems much quicker and more accurate.  Improvements from Apple may be forthcoming.  In fact I was waiting for an Apple update before I wrote this post, but that update may not happen for several months now.  So, I was happy to see JW Library available for the AVP, but disappointed that I couldn't use it as easily as I do with an iPad.

No YouTube app yet, though there is word out that that is on the way, and there is a substitute as well.  (Wanna watch some really cool YouTube videos?  Watch all 8 episodes of "Secrets of the Cell with Michael Behe."  He's the professor who wrote "Darwin's Black Box," spoken of initially in the May 8, 1997 Awake!)

The AVP is designed for just one person to use.  I wear gas-permeable contacts, and the AVP won't work with those.  So I have to take out my contacts and had to buy and use the Leica prescription lenses that install into the AVP.  That really wasn't a problem for me since I often wear my glasses around the house in preference to my contacts.  But no one else in my house has the same prescription as I do, so the AVP only works well for me.  Yes, there is a guest mode, but setting up in Guest Mode isn't so easy and if you are in Guest Mode and take off the AVP, all your "Guest Mode" settings disappear.  So if, for instance, you want your wife and/or kids to also be able to use the AVP, you'll have to buy another one or two or three..... ($3,500+ each). 

The power supply only lasts 2 hours.  Not really a problem for me since I mostly use the AVP at my desk and the power supply can be plugged in to a charger at all times.  But if you're in a plane, watching a 2+ hour movie movie, you'll likely run out of power before the movie is over.  There are however portable power supplies that one can buy to extend the time you can watch your movie or event on the go.

Final sum up: Would I buy it again (provided I had the extra cash)?  Yes, in a heartbeat!  But I'm old and like fidgeting around with new technology.  But the stunning video in itself is, for me, well worth the price.  And if I still had kids, the 3d pics and vids that I'd be able to take would just be another important reason that I'd want this device.

Downsides and a few problems?  Sure, especially the possibility of isolating yourself from the fam.  But for me, heavily outweighed by the positives, and I always keep a close eye on the wife and our relationship.  See, I got a thing for her, so...................

Edited by Lloyd777

9 hours ago, Lloyd777 said:

03/28/24

I immediately got the H1N1 flu that lasted for 3 weeks the day after I got the Apple Vision Pro.  Perhaps that should have told me something?

Anyway, do you want the good news or the bad news first?

Good news:  If you watch a lot of movies or even if you just like having a huge screen for watching JW videos, like even the "Morning Worship" talks (which I love), and you like the "Was It Designed" videos (who doesn't?) or any of our videos for that matter, the AVP is great.  I can't wait to see the "Jesus" video on this thing when it is released!

The AVP is like having a large theater room in this relatively small device, and comparatively cheap compared to the cost of a high-end theater room. It's like being on the front row at a convention, so your attention is greatly increased, though you'd be hard pressed to take notes, unless you are a good typist, which I am not.  But with such astounding clarity and with such a gigantic view, you will likely get more from what you see and hear.  The sound is pretty fantastic too, though you won't be able to actually feel the bass as well as if you have a couple of quality sub-woofers on your stereo system.  But what is called "spatial sound" coming from the AVP is pretty fantastic.

More good news is that many of the apps that work well on an iPad, will also work pretty well on the AVP, and that includes JW Library!  There is not a JW Library app created by the brothers specifically for the AVP, but there is the app that was designed for the iPad that works fairly well on the AVP. That was huge news to me since JW Library is where I spend a lot of my time.

The 3d pics and videos you can take with the AVP or even with an iPhone 15 or better, are stunning!  Man oh man I wish I had this when my kids and grandkids were young!  The 3d stuff is so good it'll make you cry.

The AVP has several other WOW factors, but I'm limiting this post to mostly what I think might be the most interesting for our JW community.

Bad news:  I'm gonna start off with the worst thing.  If you have a wife/husband or family, the AVP will most likely distance you from them.  Apple tried hard to reduce the isolation factor by allowing someone to see your face (or at least a representation of your face) when someone approaches.  But that doesn't quite do it.  Sure, if you're single there won't be a problem and the AVP may be perfect for you.  But it does distance you from those in your household, and that's not an insignificant thing to consider.  Imagine watching a video or movie that you and your wife/husband or family might like watching together.  That ain't happening if you are separated from them when you're inside the AVP world.  But I must say, on the other hand, that if your wife/husband or family is watching something you can't stand, then the AVP can be a "way out."  For instance, I have trouble buying into sci-fi or superhero movies, which my wife enjoys.  I just fall asleep.  I'd rather be watching some documentary or comedy or JW Library video.  But even then, you can see how the AVP could take on the role of isolator.  Beware of that!

Other bad news:  It's heavy and can press in rather heavily on your face.  The included head strap can be used in place of the strap that goes back around your head, but there still can be a bit of discomfort.

It's not as functional to use with JW Library as one might wish.  I'm regularly making notes and highlighting answers in JW Library (on my iPad).  So far, that's not so easy with the AVP.  With the exception of watching videos or listening to this or that, I much prefer my iPad to the AVP.  It may be that I just haven't mastered highlighting answers with the AVP yet (which involves focusing on what you want to highlight and then "clicking" (by bringing your thumb and forefinger together), but using the Apple Pencil on an iPad seems much quicker and more accurate.  Improvements from Apple may be forthcoming.  In fact I was waiting for an Apple update before I wrote this post, but that update may not happen for several months now.  So, I was happy to see JW Library available for the AVP, but disappointed that I couldn't use it as easily as I do with an iPad.

No YouTube app yet, though there is word out that that is on the way, and there is a substitute as well.  (Wanna watch some really cool YouTube videos?  Watch all 8 episodes of "Secrets of the Cell with Michael Behe."  He's the professor who wrote "Darwin's Black Box," spoken of initially in the May 8, 1997 Awake!)

The AVP is designed for just one person to use.  I wear gas-permeable contacts, and the AVP won't work with those.  So I have to take out my contacts and had to buy and use the Leica prescription lenses that install into the AVP.  That really wasn't a problem for me since I often wear my glasses around the house in preference to my contacts.  But no one else in my house has the same prescription as I do, so the AVP only works well for me.  Yes, there is a guest mode, but setting up in Guest Mode isn't so easy and if you are in Guest Mode and take off the AVP, all your "Guest Mode" settings disappear.  So if, for instance, you want your wife and/or kids to also be able to use the AVP, you'll have to buy another one or two or three..... ($3,500+ each). 

The power supply only lasts 2 hours.  Not really a problem for me since I mostly use the AVP at my desk and the power supply can be plugged in to a charger at all times.  But if you're in a plane, watching a 2+ hour movie movie, you'll likely run out of power before the movie is over.  There are however portable power supplies that one can buy to extend the time you can watch your movie or event on the go.

Final sum up: Would I buy it again (provided I had the extra cash)?  Yes, in a heartbeat!  But I'm old and like fidgeting around with new technology.  But the stunning video in itself is, for me, well worth the price.  And if I still had kids, the 3d pics and vids that I'd be able to take would just be another important reason that I'd want this device.

Downsides and a few problems?  Sure, especially the possibility of isolating yourself from the fam.  But for me, heavily outweighed by the positives, and I always keep a close eye on the wife and our relationship.  See, I got a thing for her, so...................

I liked the way you updated us about your using of technology like the AVP ...

Hope we will have this conversation in the near future brother ... I'm excited to hear you talking about this stuffs....

😀😀😀

On 3/28/2024 at 3:15 PM, Brandon said:

Is the YouTube website useable though? Can’t you watch videos from there and make them go full screen?

There's no YouTube app directly from YouTube..............yet........as of today, 03/30/24.  But there is an app that works well called "Juno For YouTube" that has a one-time fee of $5.00.  Money well spent, though I'm not able to control it as easily as I might like.  But that may just be my ineptitude in using the AVP.  I do have a "YouTube Premium" account that I can sign into on this "Juno For YouTube" app.  It's not exactly the sames, but it is close, and you can make the videos go close to full screen.  Actually, totally full screen doesn't seem to even be possible on the AVP, especially when you have the screen expanded to something greater than what you'd get in a true movie theater.

To see some of the details of how the app works, there is a website by the creator of the app (I think) that describes some of its features here:

https://christianselig.com/2024/02/introducing-juno/