JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

1 hour ago, DarinS said:

No Hawaiian shirts no Guayabera shirts

I'm wondering if our Canadien Brothers had to be talked out of hockey jerseys? They are also called sweaters! Here's a few of mine. But since I am in Oregon and not Canada, the brothers may not have the same view!

Collage_Hockey Jerseys of Gregg_Fotor_Fotor (2) NO NAME.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

2 minutes ago, truce said:

don't see anything notable.

Maybe Sister Sofia meant the table of contents at the right hand side of the page and see the picture for each original song. 

Spoiler

image.png.4a82cefa6f6e7d41cc0071355467881c.png

6 hours ago, jwnate said:

One congregation I went to kept a hat in the coatroom in case a sister needed to do something like conduct the meeting for field service. I wonder if any halls will start keeping a tie and jacket in the coatroom in case a brother needs to fill in with something on the platform. 

My old cong had 3 jackets all different sizes for brothers if they didn't bring theirs and a part.

10 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

the resurrected are being brought in by boats from another location

Out of curiosity...how did you conclude that those on the boats are the resurrected? I just figured it was brothers/sisters coming in from sailboating. Lol

39 minutes ago, truce said:

I don't see anything notable. 

Maybe you didn't watch the video frame by frame as the sister suggested?

Virtually the whole video is set after Armageddon and presents a fascinating glimpse of the new order. It is very different from some of the rural and rather rustic imaginings that some might have. I love the clip of the brother looking at the plans for a house and then the framework in place. Great reminder of what we are aiming for.

1 hour ago, Jf800 said:

"only those who participate in teaching should use them (ties or skirts)"

That is interesting. It will be good to have a standard for this that is accepted generally in an area. There is some confusion and all of the brothers my way with duties today (except one) were at least "tied up" for their assignments. I'm not sure if it was conscience or habit.

Yes, all of our brothers also wore ties who had duties including my husband because they humbly are waiting for clarification. We only had a few younger sisters wear slacks. It was refreshing to see and I complimented them. How nice it is to have more options, but hopefully not more opinions. 😀

15 minutes ago, Eejay said:

Peut-être que vous n'avez pas regardé la vidéo image par image comme la sœur l'a suggéré ?

La quasi-totalité de la vidéo se déroule après Armageddon et présente un aperçu fascinant du nouvel ordre. C’est très différent de certaines des imaginations rurales et plutôt rustiques que certains pourraient avoir. J'adore le clip du frère regardant les plans d'une maison puis la charpente en place. Excellent rappel de ce que nous visons.

I ask myself a question: I notice that in this representation of the NW there is no electronic device lying around (neither telephone (we never see anyone on the telephone) nor computer nor tablet) and concerning the dinner: the lighting is in the old style, which gives a subdued light to the evening. When we look at the lit interior of the house it is also low in light. A question of clean energy perhaps?

Envisioning Joseph in modern, casual clothing taking a short hike with siblings... how wonderful!

11 hours ago, Sofia said:

I advise you to watch frame by frame this: https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1014367&srcid=share

a lot we can learn from this one 😉

Good idea to watch this, but of course the details are  limited by the imagination and context of those who put it together. Anyway, no ties and lots of slacks there!

22 minutes ago, Robinson said:

Awww. Je vois. On dirait qu'ils ne savent pas ce qui se passe. Il y a un frère avec une liste (peut-être un enregistrement ?)

Yes, and another who puts both hands to his mouth because he seems to have recognized someone, a loved one, from afar, his emotion is visible. The two sisters in the foreground who are hugging also seem charged with this type of emotion, (free interpretation of course.)

1 hour ago, daydream said:

Maybe Sister Sofia meant the table of contents at the right hand side of the page and see the picture for each original song. 

Hide contents

image.png.4a82cefa6f6e7d41cc0071355467881c.png

I meant to watch the video 

I ve learned

- immediately after Armagedom everyone is cured

- animals are immediately nice and not ferocious anymore

- the homeless man learns the truth from the cart where the pioneer is standing. The same pioneer that was previously criticized for not appearing in the service meetings… “how does she fullfill her hour requirement?” Yet she helped that homeless who later built the house where all GT survivors + Joseph attended a meal

- the resurrected are comming by boats into a wellcome bay where their names are taken down in written.

this is just a few. Many more details we can see 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Roberto said:

👍🙂 But it's good that sisters didn't grow beards.... 

1 I know has grown a mo.

And Turtle before you think it's me ... it's not!

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Here in Australia, we recieved the GB Update during the early hours on Saturday morning, thus many would have not have seen it before they went to their meeting or witnessing groups on Saturday morning.

At our field service group on Saturday morning, we had a combined group for the entire congregation (as we were meeting up with another congregation for lunch in our territory) to do some rural territory, there was only one brother who had his tie around his neck and shoulders undone (as he was still dressing himself as he usually does) and I was the only one to enter the Kingdom Hall without a tie at all on me. As I walked into the auditorium, they all applauded and laughed, as most of them would have thought I would be the first one not to wear a tie. However, I did get a few stern looks from some who perhaps felt that it was too soon. My answer for them was: "I am just keeping pace with Jehovah's chariot, and when it moves, I move with it".

However, those brothers who wore their ties kept theirs on for the morning. When we did meet up with the other congregation for lunch at the designated spot (they also had their CO with them), some of their brothers didn't have their ties on. This at times normal for them to do, mainly due the rural territory that is just within their side of the border from us, as they do have places where anyone who shows up wearing a tie is normally deemed to be from the Police or other governmental authorities that they do not want on their property, mostly because of perhaps illegal activites that they may be doing on their land. So they normally do not wear a tie when they do that part of the territory before this announcement.

We had one sister who was with our car group who wanted to go home and put on some pants before going to the territory, but she didn't have the gumption to do it when we picked her up from her home to drop off her vehicle. But she said that she will be the next morning at the meeting, for which she didn't do, as she felt that it would feel too much like Monday and she felt that it would be going to work (she works in a office).

Sunday morning, many brothers thought I would not be wearing a tie, but when they arrived seeing me wearing one, they were puzzled and asked why I was wearing one. My reply was I was on stage duty and would be wearing one. So some brothers would have lost their wagers on behalf of my actions of wearing a tie. However, all the brothers still wore their ties at the meeting.

Speaking with a few of the elders, we were not sure whether sound, AV or other repsonsibilities away from the stage would still require a brother be wearing a tie/jacket or not. They couldn't say for sure but they were awaiting further information, but in the discussion I said, if sisters don't have to wear a jacket or a tie when doing AV or roving mics, then why should a brother? One elder said that was a reasonable thought that was an interesting way of viewing it. However, we all agreed to wait for the more detailed information before we changed our status quo.

Some in the congregation thought that brother could be allowed to wearing polo shirts to the meeting, but I remarked that this would be too casual for brothers to be doing, even though many corporate businesses do have polo shirts as their formal attire. However, I commmented that a smartly dressed shirt, whether a business shirt or any full buttoned up shirt with a collar that could support a tie would be more fitting for brothers to be wearing than a casual looking shirt like a polo shirt, which you cannot really wear a tie with it.

Talking with a few others, where the announcement mentioned that if a "brother has a part on the program, he should wear a tie and a jacket if that is the standard of dress in that land", I mentioned to a few brothers that we as Aussies should be adopting the standard of dress in our land to be that of thongs (flip-flops), shorts and singlet and a bucket hat.

image.jpeg.48e9437af6f4abd8c8739097ed5ca974.jpeg

Edited by Pabo