JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2024 Governing Body Update #2

26 minutes ago, Pabo said:

Talking with a few others, where the announcement mentioned that if a "brother has a part on the program, he should wear a tie and a jacket if that is the standard of dress in that land", 

I did attend a meeting at the KH in Mareeba, Qld, where the brother who gave the Pubic Talk did not wear a Jacket. The temperature can be 30+ DC and humid. This was over 10 years ago, they now have AC.

9 hours ago, JudyO said:

What are these called? I could definitely do these!

They're listed on Shein as pants, and look like them in the back but I do love the look in the front. It almost looks like a wrapped skirt..and these are not what we call coulottes here, they are loose, below the knee pants.

26 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

"If that is the custom in your area."

Time to create a new custom in our area. Wait a minute Rowdy Roddy Piper did live in our area! Kilts here we come! Amazon here I come! 

scottish-rugby-kilt.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

3 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

A Fijian man in a  formal shirt and sulu.

Also common for our brothers in Fiji. Have seen them in NZ also.

I'd wear that in a heartbeat of course in the summer where I live. I would need a blue shirt, not a fan of white shirts.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, Luigi62 said:

I did attend a meeting at the KH in Mareeba, Qld, where the brother who gave the Pubic Talk did not wear a Jacket. The temperature can be 30+ DC and humid. This was over 10 years ago, they now have AC.

At times, especially for the MWM as it is in the evening, we have had no coat nights because of the heat in December/January, and we do have air conditioning. The wall behind the stage faces to the WNW, and it heats up and retains its heat being built with concrete Besser blocks, which then is filled with concrete as well. We have had times no jackets on a Sunday morning meeting, especially when it has been a heatwave and the overnight temperatures haven't cooled down enough and it is very warm inside the KH in the morning.

So for our congregation, if it is has been a hot day, or that it is very humid within our KH, wearing a jacket can be optional, if the brother feels that it would be too uncomfortable for him to wear. Usually they would ask the body of elders if they can be excused for not wearing that jacket due to the conditions, and generally it would be announced that jackets can be optional if brothers feel that they would be more comfortable in doing their parts or duties. As for wearing jackets in the KH otherwise, unless you are on the platform or doing roving mics, generally most brothers don't wear their jackets at all, unless it is cold in the Kingdom Hall where they may wear their jackets.

I usually turn the air conditioners on at the Kingdom Hall about an hour and a half before the MWM starts on my way home from work each week (as the KH is only a few streets away from my work). If the day has been very sunny and hot and where the temperature is above 35C degrees, I can only turn 2 of the 3 air conditioner units on full blast, or have all 3 units running at a lower setting, otherwise we will trip the KH main circuit breaker (not the AC circuit breakers). The KH main circuit breaker is located inside the meter box, which is located on the pole that sits out in the open to the sun, and the heat during the day and also from the box itself affects the trip out setting.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have heard several brothers wonder if, now that sisters can wear slacks, can brothers wear Kilts

I was throwing that jab on Saturday at the Zoom field service meeting to sisters😂… I reckon that will be allowed in Scotland (no bagpipes though inside the Kingdom Hall).  In Nigeria, I have seen brothers wear wrapper to give public talks before current updates…

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

8 hours ago, Robinson said:

Out of curiosity...how did you conclude that those on the boats are the resurrected? I just figured it was brothers/sisters coming in from sailboating. Lol

That would be a way to explain Rev 20:13

And the sea gave up the dead in it

At our meeting, yesterday, we had 181 in attendance. 135 at the kingdom hall and 46 on zoom. At the hall we had three sisters wearing trouser (pant US) suits, and all of the brothers were still wearing ties and jackets, except one. I asked one of our local brothers if he know the visiting brother, and he told me that he is a CO from another area visiting.

(but he was still cleanshaven)

We may have other challenges ahead when some who have not been along for decades, return for the memorial where we are all looking our best, only to see that the memorial speaker has a beard (a definite no-no when he was last in the congregation), and maybe some sisters wearing pants (trousers UK). 'Have I come to the right place'? He asks. 'Yes', you say, 'and there is more I need to tell you. Maybe I can pop round in the week........"

20 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

We may have other challenges ahead when some who have not been along for decades, return for the memorial

Hopefully, elders following the direction in the 2024 Watchtower Study 2 para 7 this week will help to minimise any negative effects for these ones "Before the Memorial, be sure to call on as many as possible."

7 hours ago, Stormswift said:

I'd wear this ... with a more modest top for the meetings.

Screenshot_20240318_155143_Samsung Internet.jpg

For the warmer climates (like you guys), definitely tasteful. Also appropriate for the summer months in colder countries.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

On 3/16/2024 at 4:45 PM, davanz said:

I am by no means trying to push my viewpoint on anyone else, but the above quote is the feeling my wife and I share.

In the English language there is the term, to DRESS UP, that is, to dress nicer, and try to look more dignified than we would when out shopping, or perhaps having lunch with a friend. And to us, to dress up when attending meetings means a dress shirt, tie and jacket for me, and a dress for my wife. To us, it is simply a way to show Jehovah and others that we think the meetings are truly special and valued by us.

Hi David, I think the problem is..... you are expressing a cultural view, not a right and wrong view. It’s easy to mix them up. 

So it’s more a personal opinion than a Bible principle. 

You are correct about being dignified, and respectful.....etc.  

However ask yourself; Who gets to decide what specific clothing is dignified? Is there a scripture?

It’s generally a culture consideration. That means basically a group opinion.

At one time the group opinion was that a suit and tie and a dress etc...was the only way to show dignity for the occasion.

Now, the group opinion is that suits are not exclusive to making something dignified.  

When my grandparents were young it was dignified for a woman to wear a dress to the floor. A skirt up to the knees would have been inappropriate and looked down on. There’s been a multitude of cultural changes since Adam. 

That being said.....If someone like yourself feels it’s not dignified for you yourself to go without a tie,  then you should keep wearing ties. No one should criticize you. They should respect your personal choice. :coffee:

What you and many others now are feeling is called "Cultural Shock”.  Give it a few months my brother. :lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Salut David, je pense que le problème est que... vous exprimez un point de vue culturel, pas un point de vue bien ou mal . Il est facile de les mélanger. 

Il s'agit donc plus d'une opinion personnelle que d'un principe biblique. 

Vous avez raison d'être digne et respectueux... etc.  

Mais demandez-vous : Qui décide quels vêtements spécifiques sont dignes ? Y a-t-il une écriture ?

C'est généralement une considération culturelle. Cela signifie essentiellement une opinion de groupe.

À une certaine époque, l'opinion du groupe était qu'un costume-cravate et une robe, etc. étaient la seule façon de montrer sa dignité pour l'occasion.

Aujourd’hui, l’opinion du groupe est que les costumes ne servent pas uniquement à rendre quelque chose de digne.  

Quand mes grands-parents étaient jeunes, il était digne pour une femme de porter une robe jusqu'au sol. Une jupe jusqu'aux genoux aurait été inappropriée et méprisée. Il y a eu une multitude de changements culturels depuis Adam. 

Cela étant dit... Si quelqu'un comme vous estime qu'il n'est pas digne pour vous de vous passer de cravate, alors vous devriez continuer à porter des cravates. Personne ne devrait vous critiquer. Ils doivent respecter votre choix personnel. :café:

Ce que vous et beaucoup d’autres ressentez maintenant s’appelle un « choc culturel ». Donnez-lui quelques mois, mon frère. :mdr:

This is very nicely analyzed and expressed, thank you very much brother Burt. I'm going to take inspiration from it.