Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's there to do in this town?


Recommended Posts

A brother and I were talking the other day and he shared an experience about visiting a large-ish Midwest US city and how disappointed he was there wasn't much to do while visiting. 

 

That prompted me to come here and ask all of you this question 

 

What do you find to do when you go away to another town for a few days? What type of recreation do you look for? What do you look for in summer vs winter. 

 

What is there to do in this town? 

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think what I like the most when I'm abroad is just walking in the street and seeing people, shops, buildings... Noticing how different things are from what I'm used to.

 

I like walking tours and museums and cultural activities, but also visiting supermarkets. It's surprising how different products can be when you are in another country or region. I like to go hiking in nature but only for easy treks. My wife loves animals, so when we travel somewhere we try to include some visit to a zoo, a farm, or anywhere we can see animals. We also like trying different foods. Something I personally love (my wife not so much) is going to the movies at the end of the day.

 

At some really special places we have taken helicopter flights. So far we have done that at the Grand Canyon and also at a glacier and at Milford Sound in New Zealand. It's not cheap but it creates life-long memories.

 

When we where younger we would organize long trips where we would drive many hours every day and spend every night at a different location in order to visit as many spots as possible. Then we needed a vacation after the vacation. :lol: Now as we get older we appreciate more staying in one or two places, not driving so much and enjoying the things that are close by.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

some of us may have the privilege to enjoy to travel in the future! By now, we love to see photos from others and dream about the places. Thanks for share the photos. 


Edited by franceml

wrong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2026 at 5:02 PM, Shawnster said:

A brother and I were talking the other day and he shared an experience about visiting a large-ish Midwest US city and how disappointed he was there wasn't much to do while visiting. 

 

That prompted me to come here and ask all of you this question 

 

What do you find to do when you go away to another town for a few days? What type of recreation do you look for? What do you look for in summer vs winter. 

 

What is there to do in this town? 

Here in Warwick there is much to do.  In view of the dangers that now exist, my husband and I would rather stay local.  In the summer we like to go to the creamery which is icecream done on premises overlooking the valley.  Very beautiful scenery.  We have a drive-in movie.  The only one in New York.  We live in a village and we are surrounded by farms, animals etc.  

 

We have lots of quaint stores and when we do carts almost always witnesses from other parts of the world stop by to talk to us.  They come to see HQs, Patterson and Wallkill.

 

Ah, we have wineries, lots of wineries.  Our congregation divided 5x so they made a new congregation and called it Orchard Valley.  (wineries)  We now attend that congregation and we are once again expanding.

 

So....for us there is no reason to go out of our comfort zone.  We visit HQs every now and then and take some bible students that want to know more about us.

 

We also have lakes, so we Kayak.  :)  This brother lives on the lake and when we go there we barbecue and go kayaking.  There is so much to do so......again.....we don't   travel much anywhere.  I am hoping maybe fly out to California to visit my youngest daughter.  We'll see.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on where I go. When my daughter and I went to NY, we did visit Wallkill, but we also visited NYC. We went to Central Park and Times Square. While in NYC we went to the Macy's Herald Square. It has sone of the few remaining wooden escalators in the world.

 

If I get to go to Chicago, I want to go to Waukegan to see the house I live in back in the 1950's.

 

I hope to visit some various places and brothers with an extended train trip. The train trip is part of the idea, and I will see an array of various landscapes during the trip. The whole trip may take a month.

 

When I was younger and single, I took a few trips with other single brothers, and we visited some of the places like The Grand Canyon, but we also visited congregations to see KH's in other places. (No helicopter ride at the GC - I can't take heights)

 

Since I don't fly, I either travel by road or train.

  • Like 2

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lol, so does my husband John.  He doesn't fly.  When we had conventions at the stadium if we had to climb to get to seats on the very top, he got dizzy.  He would call it the nose bleed section.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, carlos said:

At some really special places we have taken helicopter flights. So far we have done that at the Grand Canyon and also at a glacier

We have taken two helicopter tours, one was to a glacier while we were on an Alaskan cruise, the other was a tour of the Big Island of Hawaii and we flew over an active volcano. We have backpacked and stayed at the Havasupi Reservation in the Grand Canyon but we haven't taken a helicopter tour of the GC.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation with your brothers and sisters!


You can post now, and then we will take you to the membership application. If you are already a member, sign in now to post with your existing account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)