JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Barnes and noble nook big gripe

If money was no object, what would be the best tablet, all theocratic things considered? I don't mean money is no object and I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I do want what will work best for theocratic purposes. I am computer literate and was thinking the new Ipad mini maybe a good choice.

In my opinion (and it's only an opinion) I would get the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Either 7" or 10.1" whatever size you prefer. There are many more "Theocratic apps" for Android then there are for Apple. Also, Android makes it easy to get data to and from mobile devices. With Apple, to move something from your computer to your tablet or phone, you need to use iTunes, which in itself can be problematic. With Android you can use the data cable as well as the external SD card, etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several of my froemds desided to go with I Pad and now they are wishing they listened to me. I Tunes has messed me up just trying it out. I really like my Transformer but I know there are other androids that are good.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got a Samsung Galaxy II. Now what? What basic apps should I purchase and where at? Thank you for your patience and help.

Hi Brother. If you type into google search apps for Jehovah.a witnesses. You will find loads for your Android some you pay for & some you don't. Like WOL for they library. Also if you type Jwreader it will come up with excuse my spelling. Syntax its they version for they Android. Ciao

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

10'' I was in a shop and the 7'' was too small. The best thing is, my mother loved it too, she went with me, and really wants one too. I told my father about it, and he bought her one (for their wedding anniversary which will be Jan 3th). She'll be so happy. :-)

I tried ezPDF, it's a good programm. But the menu bar (right word?) at the top seems pretty small to me, I can hardly touch the different options with my fingers. Is there a way to make the symbols bigger?

Was at books a million last night with my wife, (best friend) and they have a great big nook out, called a nook hd. She been wanting the iPad but since I'm not familiar with apple os, i told her there were some issues with iTunes that i don't know how to address. She liked the big nook, and I'm familiar with Android os, so I'm getting her one of them

I tried ezPDF, it's a good programm. But the menu bar (right word?) at the top seems pretty small to me, I can hardly touch the different options with my fingers. Is there a way to make the symbols bigger?

Go into settings and scroll down to "toolbar" and there is a setting for "Toolbar item size". You can make it bigger in there.

Sounds good then. I have a Kindle Fire and I had it rooted. I had all kinds of freezing problems so I un-rooted it. My client has a Nook Color and she can only use apps from B&N.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Go into settings and scroll down to "toolbar" and there is a setting for "Toolbar item size". You can make it bigger in there.

:ecstatic:

I've downloaded JW reader, EZ pdf reader, JW podcast, WT library, JW songbook, and JW player. I don't have anyone familiar with a tablet, as I'm the first to get one. I figured out how to underline in EZpdf. But, I have to struggle to make the use of the tablet anything more than an interesting toy. It also seems to turn off in an extremely short time. This makes any studying a chore as I have to make sure I keep the screen from turning off. Any suggestions as to how to change the power settings (I tried but could not find how to change the settings above), or an exercise that would familiarize me with the usage of any of the programs I've downloaded, or anything missing from my library. Is there a way to know what will be studied in the Bible Study other than hard copy KM? Any suggestions like the one above regarding changing the toolbar size will be greatly appreciated.

I've downloaded JW reader, EZ pdf reader, JW podcast, WT library, JW songbook, and JW player. I don't have anyone familiar with a tablet, as I'm the first to get one. I figured out how to underline in EZpdf. But, I have to struggle to make the use of the tablet anything more than an interesting toy. It also seems to turn off in an extremely short time. This makes any studying a chore as I have to make sure I keep the screen from turning off. Any suggestions as to how to change the power settings (I tried but could not find how to change the settings above), or an exercise that would familiarize me with the usage of any of the programs I've downloaded, or anything missing from my library. Is there a way to know what will be studied in the Bible Study other than hard copy KM? Any suggestions like the one above regarding changing the toolbar size will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know ezPDF, but the power setting - go to "settings" look for Display -> Screen Time Out and change it from 30 seconds.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Where did you find the toolbar setting? Is it in the galaxy settings or somewhere else? When I look in settings I don't see an option for toolbar. I'm probably staring at it, but I don't see it. I can't find any help on the device or the little manual that came with it.