JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tragic accident

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4186 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

So sad for their families and those that knew them. Thank goodness for the resurrection hope!

As the teacher said - "He blamed the accident on poverty , arguing that if there was a better alternative, such casualties wouldn’t have been recorded". Nigeria is sitting on great mineral and oil wealth, but the ordinary people get no benefit, as it is all owned by foreign companies. Any moneys the companies pay leaders for the use of Nigerian land doesn't filter down to the subjects.

A family in our congregation is from Nigeria and the father says he would not like to go back because kidnapping is terrible where he comes from.Kidnapping for ransom is easy money for so many, but is so disruptive for every day life for anyone, rich or poor, as anyone can be a target.

Oh my goodness... how tremendously sad! So horrific... I can't imagine how terrible that must have been.

Many prayers are going toward their families and loved ones. May Jehovah help them endure this terrible trial.

I've also visited jw.org but there is no mention of this on the website? Unless I'm blind or can't find anything about this tragedy... but there is also no news about how everybody is doing in New York.

I wonder if it would be possible to let someone know (at the district or branch level?) that it could be a great idea to update the JW website to include news of our brothers and sisters around the world who are experiencing such trials and providing any updates and/or area for condolences and support? Would that sort of thing be acceptable on the website? I can't think why it wouldn't be...?

I always find comfort when I read Revelations 21:3,4. I can imagine how sad our loving heavenly father is due to this very sad development.

Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God. (James 4:4)

I just felt ill reading this.

But then - this IS satan's system.

He revels in the extent of hurt and pain he can inflict on people.

These dear ones who have died have made it.

They are as good as in the new system coming.

They will never leave Jehovah's memory.

Of that I am thankful.

I pray the other brothers and sisters there can find strength knowing Jehovah will prevail and they will see their dear brothers and sisters again.

Forgive if I'm wrong about this but in the past I've heard similar reports of fatal accidents where large numbers of JWs were involved but were never verified, so when I received an email about this story, alarm bells started ringing. I Googled the text and could only find one single report which is being circulated word for word. When I Googled the photo it took me to a report of an accident not involving JWs and which occured a month earlier :-/

http://thecitizenng.com/other-news/auto-crash-claims-nine-in-ogun/

I'm with you here, Ros. Of course this is not to say that if such an accident has happened--to Witnesses or non-Witnesses--it is tragic.

I wouldn't exactly trust all the sources in Internet, especially if Ros had found out no other evidence this having ever been happened. Sure, if you are at the wrong place at a wrong time...but also, you know who those people who just want to discourage us using whatever method possible...

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

some African brothers and sisters from our congregation were surprised too when I told them .they said their families from home didn't mention anything especially if it happen on their way to the convention......strange isn't it.

yes Satan knows where to trick us.My hubby always told me before we go to convention (big discussion) that if something happen to his children on the way to our convention he would sue the Jehovah witness.of course I don't take it seriously but sometimes people just want to try to give negative news to our wonderful organization.I'm sure Jehovah really care for his loyal ones.and we always come home safely from convention only to find him starting a quarell always :-((

Wow, the depths some will plumb! Just shows, we should always try to find parallel independent reports to verify a report before we post or email it. As the Bible says:"at the mouth of 2 Witnesses a thing is proved" - at least it may minimize the spreading of false discouraging stuff by trolls who do this sort of thing.

Mind you it is getting difficult verifying reports because even Newspapers are getting lazy, just buying and copying news reports from each other and printing them up without verifying facts themselves and that's how some lies get repeated until someone is wealthy enough or has authority enough to sue them.