JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone see any movies lately without violence and immorality?

I don't know if anyones into the vintage movies.

I just watched

Imitation of life. Staring John Gavin &Junita Moore

Great movie.

Warning need Kleenex. Lol No Violence.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Linda I love your avatar and Virginia your sofa chair is boss. So, I have not been to the movies in years but I enjoy watching movies at home. But it seems as if the movie or TV show will start off innocent enough and you have your chocolate drizzled popcorn of gummie bears or even sunflower seeds and then you see women kissing women or worst men kissing men and other obscene things. Which is what has happened with Chicago Fire that started off nicely enough but has turned disgusting. Now my new show is Monday Mornings on TNT. I don't like boring TV or baby shows so this is quite nice. Linna I will always be a loyal fan of TOO CUTE!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I checked out some foreign films recently at the local library and I really liked them. One was an Iranian film called The Color of Paradise, about a blind boy whose father is trying to find another place for him to live so the father can remarry. It was very touching.

The other was Not One Less, a slow paced Chinese film about a poor teenage girl who is hired to substitute teach in the countryside but is told if she is able to retain all the students she'll get a little extra money. It's not about the money though, it's about her persistent search for one of her students.

My goodness, the promos give me the creeps. And, I have to admit, I saw the original Wizard movie. My daughter just read up on Baum, the author, and he was a flaming racist. I totally enjoy the old musicals, but how many times can you watch them? For me. Lots. Oh I would like to see this thread just keeping on keeping on. I see an ad for a movie, it looks like it might be good, and I forget what it was. Do not get to town all that much.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a very beautiful movie based on a True story..Winter

about a Dolphin who lost her tail because she got tangeled in some fishing nets,

Stars Harry Connick Jnr & Morgan Freeman & its set somewhere in Florida. Awesome.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 2 weeks later...

Judy and I went to the movie 42 about the baseball player Jackie Robinson.

It was very good. It helps if you like baseball. We are Detroit Tigers fans.

There isn't any nudity. Jackie married and there is a lot of smooching scenes but nothing that I saw as bad.

The racial slurs endured by Jackie entering baseball were horrendous, but that is history in the remaking. No cursing either.

Harrison Ford played Branch Rickey and did a good job. He (Branch Rickey) apparently was a Bible reader as he quoted scripture to make some points to others.

I found that interesting since no one wants to quote scripture now.

If you can stand the racial slurs you will like this movie.

• 3 weeks later...

It's good to have suggestions for proper movies... Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly difficult to see a movie without all those things from beginning to end.

I love comedies but I think it's the worst genre to find a good movie... It seems to this directors that sex is the only subject to make lough :(

That's why I love Mr. Bean... If you don't know this character I urge you to find him... Absolutely hilarious :D (but I admit, there are people who don't like it)

I loved also several animation movies... Like "UP", "raining meatballs", "The Croods", etc...

One I saw recently (though not new) is "Red Dog" a true story about a famous Australian Dog (lovely sound track also)

The Fox and the Child, 2007. A French film starring Bertill Noel-Bruneau. The English version is narrated by Kate Winslet.

the_fox_the_child04_zpsef58109e.jpg

This is a quiet and gentle film about a tomboy who wants to tame a fox. The story develop around the little girl who is fascinated by a fox she chances on as she is going to school one day. She loves the forest and is not afraid to patiently wait for her chance to get close to the vixen. Her success turns into a bitter-sweet realization that she was mistaking possession for love. There are some elements that might be difficult for the very young: one animal dies by being poisoned and there is a scene where the girl's fox jumps through a window and she thinks it is dead. The cinematography is stunning. The closing song "Windy Whistle" is ethereal.

-Dave

I did see this movie. The girl looks very much like my Oldest.

• 2 years later...