JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Name..Advice Please..

I hope I am not being Petty when I ask this. For years I have been called Gabe..Out of concern for other peoples feelings and how I might come accross. People call be Gabriele, Gabby, Gab. It goes against the grain. I feel silly for making a fuss even My Hubby will call me these. I have ask politely many times to him to be called Gabe with along aaa sound. Its hard to ask as I am emailing this..I even introduce myself as Gaaabe..& Many look at me like I have 3 heads..What's that they say..I am Gabe.. Is there a polite way that one can express this.. I don't like to be rude or inconsiderate. Like If you know people how do you express how you like to be called?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I think it would depend on the situation.

I would let close friends know your preference. And as for your husband...maybe not scriptual, but its what I would do... If you have already explained, then I would ONLY answer to THAT...ignore anything he says if not used your name..

Anyone else, I would just correct them when they get it wrong. Taking into account accents etc.

On the flip side.

We dont even know the correct pronounciation of Jehovahs name. Im sure we get it wrong in most if not all languages. The thing though, it is said with respect. If someone is trying and forgets etc, then no big deal. Jehovah handles it. :)

But I would expect people who really know you to call you as you wish.

:perplexed:

A name is really just a handle in some ways. Although a good name can be better than precious metals, the handle people grab us with is not as critical.

I have many people call me by my brothers name - they get us confused - and I have learned to accept it. I also had an Aunt that insisted on calling me "Jackie". She complained to my mother that I must be mentally deficient since I would not answer her when she called me by the name Jackie. My mother explained that Jackie was not my name. My Aunt's response was that "Everyone knows that Jackie is a nickname for John". Since I was only about 3-4 years old at the time my mother answered her that I did not know that!

Looking at it from both sides I would have to say I prefer to be called by my name ... but have learned to put up with some who want to change it up - I have never been called Johnny, but some want to call me that. Others want to call me Johnathan ... my name is John - that's it ... I don't even have a middle name, but that is another story.

I one time worked with a man who had the name "Jehovah Godbolt"! No kidding, that was really his name. Do you know how hard it was for me to call him "Jehovah"? What does all this have to do with your name? Not sure it does ... but, I will tell you this - sometimes people shy back from using a name that they feel uncomfortable using. I gather that, since your name seems to actually be Gabriele, some may shy away from using the "masculine" version of your name "Gabe". They may feel that calling you Gabe feels like they are using a "lesbian" version of your name. Gabriele, Gabby, and Gab all sound more "feminine" then "Gabe". Although you may be used to Gabe, they may not be used to calling a female Gabe.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks John & Fiona

I know what you are talking about My Nana would call everyone who was around her a different name now Dad does it & so do I its kinda funny & I never did mind.

& still Don't mind. I probably hit that age were its starting to Matter my old cong & my friends still say Gabe..But the one i am in now. Have been there 12 yrs. I even Jokingly say it. I don't like to send the wrong impression. & even on the net here I shortened my name. Its really Gabriella. But I like Gabe

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I named my son Michael, and that is what I want him called, lol. When he was a baby, sometimes people would say "Mike" or "Mikey" (I hate Mikey) anyway, I would just politely say, his name is Michael. My son is almost 15 now, and he wants to be called Michael. I think every one calls him Michael now. My nephew is named Thomas, and he went through the same thing. People would call him Tom or Tommy, and he would tell them, even as a kid, 'My name is Thomas", lol. He is 21, and likes Thomas.

My daughter I named Halley (as in Halle Berry the actress) Unfortunately people call her "Hayley" or "Holly", lol. Drives my daughter nuts.

Personally, I think you should call people what their name is unless they say "you can call me _______" My dad has a nickname, and he will introduce himself by his real name, but he will usually say "you can call me mick" (mick is his nickname) But if people don't give you permission, I think you call them by their real name.

Personally, I think you should call people what their name is unless they say "you can call me _______" My dad has a nickname, and he will introduce himself by his real name, but he will usually say "you can call me mick" (mick is his nickname) But if people don't give you permission, I think you call them by their real name.

Good advice. Another suggestion that I've learned: When meeting someone and they hand you their business card - use the name as it appears on the card. Don't jump to the obvious nickname. Tamara does not become Tammy. Let the person give you permission to use their nickname if that's what they prefer.

On another post here: Even if someone DID have their name legally changed to JEHOVAH - there is no way I would call them by the divine name. I would ask "So, what should I call you, because I'm not calling you that".

... Even if someone DID have their name legally changed to JEHOVAH - there is no way I would call them by the divine name. I would ask "So' date=' what should I call you, because I'm [i']not calling you that".

...Okay' date=' now I must know, how did he get such a name? :)[/quote']

To respond to both ... How they came by their last name ... who knows. As for his first name ... his MOTHER named him that. He had a brother named "Northern" and I can't recall what his sister's name was (didn't work with her) but his mother had gotten all the names from the Bible.

When I asked what to call him, he said "Jehovah" - that was his name and what he went by. He was about 6'3" and out-weighed me by a good 120 lbs - who was I to argue.

I think I would have been tempted to tell him: " with a name like that, you belong in our Kingdom Hall...how about a Bible Study?" >:D<

Unless of course, he requested DNC.......

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

He knew the origin of his name and it did not impress him. I tried to witness to him ... but, he liked to womanize, curse, smoke dope and several other bad habits so my efforts fell on deaf ears.

Gabe I think you should be allowed to be called anything you desire (except Jehovah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). :eek:

My given name is Christine. I like that name but it was often yelled out when I was in trouble. It has not nice sentiments attached to it. Then, when I was small relatives began calling me Chrissy. That name gives me shivers and makes me feel small. I chose to be called Chris when I was in high school because it is short and sounds powerful. It fits who I am now. I feel like a strong adult person when called this name. Yeah!

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for the clarification on that. I know I had sent a pm at some point asking that exact question but I didn't hear back and so I let it go.

Now I know for sure. I have to say the comments above we're how I felt about using gabby.

Anyhow glad to know going forward even though Gabriela is a beautiful name also

John,

Was the guy you worked with Nigerian by chance? They have lots of names like that. We have one brother out here named Godswill. I thought that was coolest thing in the world for awhile

People, when introduced to me call me Verna. My name is actually Verna-Lee but I changed the spelling to Vernalee so they would say it correctly. They still call me Verna. It makes me feel bristly all over.

Only family and friends get it correct. When I was a little girl in school the teachers would always call me Verna. I refused to answer or even acknowledge them until they said it correctly. I took a lot of beatings for it in school but I finally won, every year. My grandmother was Verna and she was not a warm and fuzzy person. My name is Vernalee and I am warm and sometimes fuzzy.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

There have been some wonderful comments here. All of them I agree with. My personal opinion is to do whatever gives the person respect. I have a company I do business with that are Vietmanese, they have taken "English" names but I asked if they would tell me their "real" names, they smile so big when I see them and honor them with their given names.

Ok but the truth is I'm a huge nickname'er. One brother is Michael, unfortunately I have a stigma attached to that name. So I called him up and privately asked him if I could call him "M". He loves it! Only 1 brother asked me not to call him a certain name and I happily complied. But others I've nicknamed love theirs. I'm not left out either tho, my name is Cheryl and I'm constantly being called Shirley, Shelly, Sharon.....eeek! Most times I don't correct them, I don't want to embarrass them. One sis even called me by the full name of another sister for a really long time. I had hoped she would figure it out when I get called on during meetings but it ended up where I had to correct her, ouch.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My name is so unusual. When I introduce myself people look at me so weird. They will say arrhh no I don't want to know where you live, what is your name.

Even Teachers at school couldn't say it I am constantly referred to as a country Cresland.

It doesn't matter how slowly I say it, if I spell it : if I write it down :it is still Cresland or Clothesland or Teresa

My name always comes with an explanation. Why are you called that? they ask then I tell them the little spill that goes with my name.

When people get to know me more they always shorten it to Clessy.

True friends will love you for what you are not what you are called

A name is really just a handle in some ways. Although a good name can be better than precious metals, the handle people grab us with is not as critical.

I agree with John it doesn't matter what people call you it is how they feel about you as a person. Our name is how we want people to view us.

If we had a best friend called Sue or David when we were 5 then we tend to like the name and other people called the same even when we get older.

If we find people called Judas of Jezebel we tend to form an opinion on that name rather than getting to know the person.

I don't care at all what people call me as long as it is not late for dinner.

My name is so unusual. When I introduce myself people look at me so weird...

This reminds me of a guy I went to High School with (even though that was 40+ years ago). Every year when we started school - on the first day - and we had new teachers, we would all wait to see just how badly the new teacher would stumble on his name before they asked how to pronounce it.

We learn (in English) that the vowels are a-e-i-o-u. This is drilled into us from early on. Even though they also say "sometimes "y", many, if not most, tend to forget that "y" can be a vowel and think of it as a consonant.

With that in mind, his last name appeared to start with 5 consonants! P-R-Y-S-T and that is why the new teachers would stumble over his name

BTW - the rest of his name was "owski"