JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablets

Carl, whenever i am asked this, i ask, "what kind of phone do you have? iPhone, android or windows? Get a tablet that matches.'

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Carl, whenever i am asked this, i ask, "what kind of phone do you have? iPhone, android or windows? Get a tablet that matches.'

Good question, but I don't have any smartphone. If I were to get one, I'd probably get a Samsung Galaxy, but I still think the iPad looks to be the best tablet. I am a Luddite though, my existing phone still sends smoke signals!

Why should they be the same? (Genuine query.)

The only reason that you might want the same kind of operating system on your Tablet as you have on your phone is because you are already familiar with how it works. (iTunes, etc) But you won't be connecting your phone to your tablet anyway, so there is no physical reason that they have to be the same. You may use your phone as a WiFi "hotspot" for your tablet, but they don't have to have the same OS to do that.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and am very happy with it. It does everything I need, plus, being an Android, I am able to customize it much further then what the manufacturer offers. Something you won't be able to do with an Apple product. But, you may not need or care about that.

I have a ipad mini and find it really easy to use. I have down loaded the watchtower study edition and other books like songbook from jw.org. My phone though is an android but never having an android tablet i cant comment really. My friend, a sister who is really into tablets said she tried the samsung tablet but didnt like it and sent it back. My advice would be to ask other brothers and sisters who have a tablet if you can have a go on theirs before you buy then you will get the feel of one i did this with the i pad and was really happy with it.

The only place you can find perfection , is in the dictionary.

The only reason that you might want the same kind of operating system on your Tablet as you have on your phone is because you are already familiar with how it works. (iTunes, etc) But you won't be connecting your phone to your tablet anyway, so there is no physical reason that they have to be the same. You may use your phone as a WiFi "hotspot" for your tablet, but they don't have to have the same OS to do that.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and am very happy with it. It does everything I need, plus, being an Android, I am able to customize it much further then what the manufacturer offers. Something you won't be able to do with an Apple product. But, you may not need or care about that.

Trouble is, I am not an android.

I despair at the plethora of different tablets with different OS and I'm never sure if I can d/l the material from jw.org and make notes etc without having to change things substantially - i.e. another programme or 'app'. Confused of London.

All of them will allow you to go to jw.org and also download the information.

Most stores have a 2 week or 30 day return policy. Pick one up - and return it before the time is up. You will know in a few weeks if it is something you like. Then try another.

I did that with iPad1, 2 and a Samsung tablet before I picked the one I wanted. My phone has an android OS and I am able to share all the apps I have on it with the tablet - so I chose an android one. Besides - I HATE iTUNES!!!! and that is what you MUST use with an Apple tablet. I don't like being stuck to their store. Just my opinion.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

In my opinion - you have 2 good choices - the galaxy tab 2 (either a 7 inch or a 10) or the galaxy note.

The difference - the note tablet lets you use a stylus. You don't NEED on, but it comes with one and has some cool features as part of that. It can sense when you "hover" over a link and allow pop-ups. I highly recomend, going to BestBuy or a store like that and play around with the 2.

Of course the difference is also in the price. I bought mom the Galaxy Tab2 for $315 after taxes and I see the Note tablet is like $500.

These are the 2 top of line items right now.

I have not yet tried out a Windows 8 tablet. They weren't out when I was shopping. But I do like the idea that I can run ALL of my windows software that I currently have on one. But here we go again with price - $900. Don't be fooled and thing the one that has RT - instead of Pro - is the same. They are NOT. The RT - is just a phone OS, not the regular Windows OS.

Soon .....

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet

I have this also. Best tablet in my opinion. It has one of the fastest processors, is the only tablet with 2GB of RAM, and the built in Wacom digitizer and S Pen have enabled me to become paper free for good. Took all my note writing on the screen when the CO visited last week.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Convinced me, Jerry. I HATE iTUNES TOO!

I have finally removed it from my computer (and quicktime!) and play my music with JRiver Media centre (brilliant).

So it has to be an Andyroid after all.

OK - so which is the bestest?

If you are also wanting to use this on the ministry then you will need a 3G tablet that can take a SIM card. In the UK the two best value tablets available that allow this are the Lenovo A2107 @ £149 available form PC World etc. and the Google Nexus 7 3G @ £239 available from the Google Play Store. If you need advice on best mobile SIM plans for your tablet let me know as you can get them for as little as about £20 for a year of data.

I have finally removed it from my computer (and quicktime!) and play my music with JRiver Media centre (brilliant).

If you are also wanting to use this on the ministry then you will need a 3G tablet that can take a SIM card. In the UK the two best value tablets available that allow this are the Lenovo A2107 @ £149 available form PC World etc. and the Google Nexus 7 3G @ £239 available from the Google Play Store. If you need advice on best mobile SIM plans for your tablet let me know as you can get them for as little as about £20 for a year of data.

No need to get a 3g one if you have a smart phone. Just get an app like FoxFi (that is what I use). Use your phone to setup a small wifi network between your tablet and phone. Then you will be using your phones data plan at NO additional charge. IF you get a tablet that needs a SIM card - you WILL pay extra.

Soon .....

No need to get a 3g one if you have a smart phone. Just get an app like FoxFi (that is what I use). Use your phone to setup a small wifi network between your tablet and phone. Then you will be using your phones data plan at NO additional charge. IF you get a tablet that needs a SIM card - you WILL pay extra.

Hi Jerry,

Data in the UK is very cheap and the mobile market is very different from the US. The problem with tethering is that here most data plans prohibit it. Also, it is not as convenient and requires you to have a smartphone. Whereas on T-Mobile here you can run your tablet with a dedicated SIM giving you unlimited browsing and email with 500MB downloads a month for about $30 for the whole year. There are cheaper options too.

500 MB is not a lot. I burn through at least 6 GB all by myself.

Verizon use to prohibit hot spotting your phone without paying for it. But now since everything is unlimited except for data they don't care anymore. They want you to burn data in hopes of you going over.

Having a tablet that is 4g ready would be convenient, but usually those units choosy more and on Verizon will occur another $10 post month, which is senseless.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

500 MB is not a lot. I burn through at least 6 GB all by myself.

Verizon use to prohibit hot spotting your phone without paying for it. But now since everything is unlimited except for data they don't care anymore. They want you to burn data in hopes of you going over.

Having a tablet that is 4g ready would be convenient, but usually those units choosy more and on Verizon will occur another $10 post month, which is senseless.

Well it depends in what context you mean not alot. As browsing and email does not come out of this allowance and you will most likely do most of your downloading at home on your fixed connection then it is usually plenty. Also, the questions brothers are asking me locally, all relate to using jw.org on the ministry. For this purpose 500MB is plenty. I am a heavy data user on my smartphone but never even nearly reach 500MB on my tablet. Of course YMMV.

The problem with tethering is that here most data plans prohibit it. Also, it is not as convenient and requires you to have a smartphone. Whereas on T-Mobile here you can run your tablet with a dedicated SIM giving you unlimited browsing and email with 500MB downloads a month for about $30 for the whole year. There are cheaper options too.

In the US - Verizon used to block tethering and say it was prohibited. They just lost a $1.25 million lawsuit. They can't block or prohibit this in the US - http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/verizon-to-stop-blocking-tethering-apps-settles-with-fcc-for-1/

But as you say - things are different from country to country. I have a 3gig max on my data plan for my phone. I am with AT&T - they charge extra to tether, but - in light of the Verizon lawsuit - I don't pay that and use a third party app to tether. I am not as big a user as BOB - I see. But I use a tethering app for my tablet as the tablet was almost $100 less for one without 3g than with. And I DID NOT want to pay yet another monthly service bill no matter how small. Just $15 a month adds up quickly - especially when there isn't a need to pay it.

Soon .....

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry, I just read your post about tethering. I also have AT&T and was wondering when you say you don't pay a fee for tethering if that means it is on your bill but you don't pay that part of the bill-or AT&T lets you tether through the free android app and doesn't charge you the 2O dollars. I will watch this thread for your answer. Thanks! My husband just got a tablet and the tether could come in handy. Which app do you use and how close does the phone have to be to the tablet? With 3 gigs on my samsung galaxy note phone, someone at AT&T told me that if I had a wifi hotspot that my laptop would use too much data and I would run out of mgb.

She then almost sold me a wifi package through our telephone wire! We didn't want that. We even use antenna for TV which we hardly ever watch anymore. The internet news is fine-no need to watch all those adds etc. Thanks again...

:idea:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

No, it doesn't show on my bill. AT&T doesn't charge me to tether. I use the free app from Android (Fox-Fi) and have never had an issue.

Soon .....