JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Blu Ray no longer streams computer content.

Here is what I'm running. It doesn't look like the network has been messed up. It's not that complicated a network.

Dell Windows XP computer with Windows Media Player 11 connected to a Rosewill router. Sony Blu Ray player also connected to the router. Windows Media Player is set up for media sharing. All the video files are in the My Videos folder. Everything looks fine. I even called Sony and they talked me through the appropriate settings. Everyting I've looked up on the Net so far tells me everything should work.

Last week everything was fine. We've had the Blu Ray for a couple of years now. I set the computer up as a media server last year or maybe 2 years ago. We have had absolutely no problem watching videos through the Blu Ray that were downloaded onto the computer. We left for vacation and, when we came back, it no longer worked.

What is also odd is that my step-son cannot connect to the computer through his Xbox, either. He's having the same issue.

Further, we have 2 computers, one is Windows XP and the other is Windows 7. I've set them both up as media servers. Neither of them are working. The Blu Ray sees both computers. Both computers see the Blu Ray. However, when I tell the Blu Ray to connect to the server, it doesn't. It says it can't connect to the server.

Could you have had a power outage that reset anything while you were away? Is your network secured with a password? Did you have to enter that password into the Blu-ray player so it could connect to your network originally? If so, maybe that got reset. If it is a wired network and no WiFi key is necessary, go into your router settings and make sure all the settings are as they should be (DHCP, security, firewall, etc)

A friend of mine just had a problem with his computer. All had been fine, then his computer could not find the printer. After much looking they found that, for some reason no one can seem to determine, the router changed the address of the printer, that is why the computer could not find it. Once the addresses were reset, all is fine.

Might want to check your router for your addresses.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~