Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Text text


Recommended Posts

Could we start a daily game of abbreviating the daily text? It sounds like the young pioneers who are doing this by texting each other every morning are having a LOT of fun!!!!

For example, one young brother abbreviated today's text as : Provide spiritually & materially (characters don't count)

one young sister said Bring home bacon

another young sister said Provide for family

etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Dove said:

What does 'bump' mean and why does one do it. I've looked it up but still don't get it..:huh:

When someone wants to restart a conversation or bring attention to it, they may 'bump' it just to get it to show up again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tortuga said:

When someone wants to restart a conversation or bring attention to it, they may 'bump' it just to get it to show up again.

I just finished reading the meaning again on Chrome, but I still don't understand the second half of the question. I was just in the letter game and someone said that right in the middle of the page, and I don't know what is it they are sending to the top and why would they do that. When I posted the word after the bump, the next person after me would follow my word and not look at the one on top. Sorry, I'm just being thick with this ..:perplexed:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dove said:

I just finished reading the meaning again on Chrome, but I still don't understand the second half of the question. I was just in the letter game and someone said that right in the middle of the page, and I don't know what is it they are sending to the top and why would they do that. When I posted the word after the bump, the next person after me would follow my word and not look at the one on top. Sorry, I'm just being thick with this ..:perplexed:

It just means that they 'bump' it to the top of the page. 

 

It's not a big deal,  it's just a way to keep that particular thread at the top of the page so everybody sees it first.

 

You effectively do the same thing every time you post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

It just means that they 'bump' it to the top of the page. 

 

It's not a big deal,  it's just a way to keep that particular thread at the top of the page so everybody sees it first.

 

You effectively do the same thing every time you post.

Okay, I'm still not quite certain but maybe sooner or later I'll have a light bulb moment replace one of my senior moments..:lol: thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dove said:

Okay, I'm still not quite certain but maybe sooner or later I'll have a light bulb moment replace one of my senior moments..:lol: thx

Well,  try this ---

 

Pick a thread, it doesn't matter which one, just one that's 4 or 5 from the top of the page. Any thread will work, just not the very first one. Go down 8 or 10, it won't matter. 

 

Write  *bump* in the reply box and then press *submit reply*.

 

Then, go look for that thread again.  It will be at the top of the page, your *bump* will be the last post in it....

 

The *bump* tactic works to bring a topic that you are especially interested in to the top of the page,  thereby keeping it in top spot so more people see it, more often. ..you may not see it on top because of the software filters, they hide threads that you have already looked at. Everyone else will see it as first on the page.

 

If you DO want to see it, click on the 'show filters' tab, look down the list until you see  'read status', click that and you will see 'content I haven't read'..that will have a check mark by it but above that it will say 'everything'..Click that and then all the threads will be shown and you can see the one you just 'bumped'...

 

Hope that helps :givehug:


Edited by tekmantwo

Words, who knew?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Well,  try this ---

 

Pick a thread, it doesn't matter which one, just one that's 4 or 5 from the top of the page. Any thread will work, just not the very first one. Go down 8 or 10, it won't matter. 

 

Write  *bump* in the reply box and then press *submit reply*.

 

Then, go look for that thread again.  It will be at the top of the page, your *bump* will be the last post in it....

 

The *bump* tactic works to bring a topic that you are especially interested in to the top of the page,  thereby keeping it in top spot so more people see it, more often. ..you may not see it on top because of the software filters, they hide threads that you have already looked at. Everyone else will see it as first on the page.

 

If you DO want to see it, click on the 'show filters' tab, look down the list until you see  'read status', click that and you will see 'content I haven't read'..that will have a check mark by it but above that it will say 'everything'..Click that and then all the threads will be shown and you can see the one you just 'bumped'...

 

Hope that helps :givehug:


 

Okay, I think I understand the reason for doing it better, but are you using the word 'thread' for post, 'cause I thought thread meant the whole topic or subject, not the individual post. Also why would someone say bump when they didn't even write anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dove said:

Okay, I think I understand the reason for doing it better, but are you using the word 'thread' for post, 'cause I thought thread meant the whole topic or subject, not the individual post. Also why would someone say bump when they didn't even write anything?

You are correct : 'thread' is all the posts in that particular subject, in its entirety. 

'Posts' are the individual comments made by someone,  as in this, my reply to you, is a singular post in this thread.

 

The reason behind someone bumping is just to keep a particular thing in front of everyone,  so that it is, whatever it is, in the front of the forum, so that it is in a prominent position, so that everyone sees it first,  at the top of the page. 

 

Look at the latest postings, if you scroll down a ways you will see Sister Mandi's thread, titled 'My Off Topic Thread'..

Say that Mandi wants to keep that thread on the top of the page, so that she can get more replies, so that we all see it there and we are more likely to comment in it.

If that is what she wants then she may *bump* it and then it's at the front of the list and everyone will see it first. She wouldn't necessarily have anything to add, just wants to have it noticed so she *bumps* it to the top.

 

(Not saying that she would do this, it's just that I happen to see her thread and used it as an example.  Besides,  she's in NZ and can't hurt me:raspberry:)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.7.20 (changelog)