JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Smartphone hacking comes of age

Smartphone hacking comes of age

Criminals have been probing the systems that protect U.S. smartphone users for years, searching for the right combination of programming tricks and social engineering that would allow them to sneak onto users' phones. Recently, one hacker group hit the jackpot.

They took a year-old mobile virus named NotCompatible, which allows hackers to take complete control of a phone, and posted the malicious code on websites. Then they sent out enticing spam emails with links to the booby-trapped sites. The emails were all the more tempting because they appeared to come from friends or others on the recipients’ contact list. Victims who clicked on the link from their phones and downloaded the file surrendered control of their Android phones to the criminals.

SOURCE

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Oh No!!!! Does that mean I have to get an iPhone? I hope they have one with a pen!

How else can you take this? One thing about it they will get plenty of literature and Kingdom songs!

:cry:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Oh No!!!! Does that mean I have to get an iPhone? I hope they have one with a pen!

How else can you take this? One thing about it they will get plenty of literature and Kingdom songs!

:cry:

No, you don't have to get an iPhone. What this means is - if someone sends you a link to file don't be stupid enough to download it and install it on your phone!

Always - for ANY file using ANY operating system - verify the source. Call that person - "Hey, did you send me this file?" "Um, what file" - DELETE!!

Better still - ONLY install files from sources you went out to get. NOT ones sent to you via an e-mail.

You know - IMO - people often deserve what they get. OR as Forest Gump used to say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Side note: this goes for things you want to buy or donate for also. DO NOT buy or donate to persons that call / contact you. ONLY buy or donate to ones that you went looking for.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Good one Jerry!

I bought my first Smart Phone the other day (Android), a call come in and I didn't know how to answer it. I kept pressing the answer button instead of taping the answer button. My wife said " You gotta be at least as smart as the Smart Phone." I hate it when that happens. X(

My only question is how do you protect the Smart Phone from viruses and worms when connected to the internet as I haven't seen any virus protection on the phone?

Thats Freaky. I have been concerned b3cause With google on the smart phone you need to put account. I think its incase you want to buy an app or something.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Good one Jerry!

I bought my first Smart Phone the other day (Android), a call come in and I didn't know how to answer it. I kept pressing the answer button instead of taping the answer button. My wife said " You gotta be at least as smart as the Smart Phone." I hate it when that happens. X(

My only question is how do you protect the Smart Phone from viruses and worms when connected to the internet as I haven't seen any virus protection on the phone?

The worst threat is losing your phone or getting it stolen, but here are a few articles on this question:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129896/htg-explains-does-your-android-phone-need-an-antivirus/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/do-you-need-antivirus-on-android/

Thanks Musky. Great info. I read some Anti virus have sms block or call blocks is that right. Do you use it?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Good one Jerry!

Lynn did you figure. You need to swipe your finger. Lols

I am very cautious..I installed AVG Antivirus on my Note and it came on my husband's tab 2 10.1 tablet. I registered for anti-theft and put the text messages in

draft folder on Don's old Samsung 707 to carry out commands on my Note if someone wrestles it away from me! One thing about it some of us have the benefit of wisdom that comes with old age to keep us from making too many stupid mistakes! I appreciate the knowledge you all share on this site which once we can understand it can add to our wisdom! One thing about security is when out and about be careful as far as others of seeming questionable character viewing your use of phone or tablet! I have my husband with me but if I was alone I would keep my phone in my purse or pocket!:sweat:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Good one Jerry!

The worst threat is losing your phone or getting it stolen, but here are a few articles on this question:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129896/htg-explains-does-your-android-phone-need-an-antivirus/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/do-you-need-antivirus-on-android/

Thanks Musky, It's one of those questions I thought about after getting it home. I bought the silly thing so I can have a hot spot when we travel for the note book computer. A lot of camp grounds have wi-fi but most of the State ones don't.

Lynn did you figure. You need to swipe your finger. Lols

I have ten fingers why do I need to swipe another one? :S

I was trying to be cheeky. You said you got to tap your finger. I guess like my phone. To get in I got to swipe it. Lols Others maybe you do tap. Lols

Liz, no matter who sends you a file - don't open it without checking the source first.

Notice i said file. Opening the email is ok. It is downloading and opening the file attachments that is BAD. Always check the source of the file.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks Jerry for the clarification. I don't open even junk mail unless I signed up for something or another. I do also ask family and friends to write something more personal on the subject line, something that they know I'd know it's from them. My atrix 2 and my lapdock is my only source of being in touch with friends and the internet and I try hard not to jeopardize it.