JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4024 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The rest of the story - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/30/chinese_kidney_for_ipad_sentencing/

According to a report from the Xinhua news agency, seven of the nine defendants were sentenced for intentional injury, while two others were exempted from punishment due to their minor roles in the kidney-for-kit scheme.

The ringleader of the organlegging gang, He Wei, was sentenced to five years in prison. Yin Shen, who recruited Wang on an internet chat room in 2011, was sentenced to four years. Other defendants received prison terms of between one and three years, with suspended sentences.

The leniency of the sentences is credited to the fact that the nine had already paid Wang more than 1.47m yuan ($263,019, £147,494) in damages for his injuries – enough to buy a platinum iPad.

Wang may have a more pressing need for the funds, however, as he has been suffering from severe renal failure since the operation.

Very sad. This young man's life has changed entirely - he will probably soon be on a dialysis machine 2 or 3 times a week for the rest of his life - and it may be short. But he does have something to play with while sitting in that chair getting his blood strained. :nope:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Fueled by the desperation of those with money and the greed of those without. I get so upset with my oldest son who had a kidney transplant when he talkes about asking one of his children to give him one of their kidneys when his new one goes bad. The life of a transplanted kidney is not all that long in many cases. As one gets older it is harder to get to the top of the list so one must look at close relatives as a spare parts store. Sad that one would put their own life above that of their children.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I knew someone who had like 5 kidney transplants (not a JW), which just shocked me (his family had money) because I thought you got one or maybe two chances. He finally passed away but we all knew he was on "borrowed time" so to speak - he was in his 40's (started transplants in early teens).

As JW, we know that something like that is only temporary, like the GB brought out in a talk at the District Convention. We should not be so concerned about holding onto this life to the point of what these people are trying to do. But to think of the pain and suffering the donors experience too ... and then it is only temporary for the recipient.

Lynn-my husband was shown the ball and joint to be used in his knee replacements and one for his shoulder replacement. Now the back fusion surgery is added to the list. Rick said he was worried about having so many parts replaced because he was worried someone may kidnap him and sell him for salvage. It,s a tough life for sure.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Remember we just had an article that said that some people were even selling body parts to buy electronics? Holy Kidneys - Batman!:scared:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/world/asia/china-kidney-ipad-trial

I love your expressions Chris. :)

Its sad the extremes people will go to. To just keep up.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 4 weeks later...

I've also read that young women in college sell their  ovum (eggs) to make money for college and their parents don't even know.  However, is this any different than being a sperm donor?  Shows life is not precious to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Lynn-my husband was shown the ball and joint to be used in his knee replacements and one for his shoulder replacement. Now the back fusion surgery is added to the list. Rick said he was worried about having so many parts replaced because he was worried someone may kidnap him and sell him for salvage. It,s a tough life for sure.

Oh, I have metal in my 2 parts of my face, down my neck, lower back and in my hip. I don't think I will get my knees done if I have to hide from people with metal detectors. Very scary.

Oh, I have metal in my 2 parts of my face, down my neck, lower back and in my hip. I don't think I will get my knees done if I have to hide from people with metal detectors. Very scary.

I was going to ask you when I saw your picture, "Why the long face"?  :lol: