JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stanley Theater, Jersey City Assembly Hall

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4011 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Our assemby hall just went through major renovation.  It was an old theater that was bought out by the Witnesses  a while back.  Very grand place - they used to do tours but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to a tour before they stopped doing it.

Our local news station has a clip about the renovation - here it is: 

http://newjersey.news12.com/multimedia/discover-new-jersey-stanley-theater-1.5174742

When we lived in Brick, N.J. we had the privelege of attending the dedication and some assemblies before moving to N.C...one neighbor came up to my husband and asked if the witnesses could renovate her house down the street! My husband had the ice cream stand in the lobby and there was a huge line...we couldn't make sundaes fast enough! The brother in the sandwich area next to us had to come over and ask him to slow down because his sandwiches were not being sought after! We took the bus to the first assembly and it broke down! When another bus picked us up we were able to witness to the driver and when we arrived we took him on a little tour...we explained how he could get food tickets ( for sandwiches and ICE CREAM) and he did! One assembly we were the last to leave and were parked near the top of the parking garage at the port authority building...ours was the only car left and it was a little scary..but Jehovah's care was there and we had no trouble...we enjoyed placing tracts downstairs too...fine memories in the late 80s!!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I just watched the News video - it is from May 1, 2013. I guess every 30 years or so it needs a little sprucing up?

They said it was a 6 month renovation.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I love Americans... you would never get a report like that here in france.  We could buy the Eiffle tower, plate it in gold and send it to the moon and back, the media wouldn't say something positive about us.  (loved the ragtime music too..)

thanks for the post

The Stanley was rennovated when the organization purchased it.  However this year it went another series of rennovations.  New chairs were replaced even though the original side moldings were kept in tact.  I hear that there are two TV monitors to the side which is to help for the ASL assemblies.  And other changes... can't wait to check it out at our District Convention in 2 more weeks!

30 years years ago it wasn't just a renovation... It was almost a virtual tear down rebuild. I wished they still gave tours, I loved when they turned on the star lights. So beautiful. Never went there for an assembly but a friend was baptized there years ago when we were still having conventions at Yankee stadium, they bussed the group in. What an adventure. Btw - reasons why I don't miss Yankee stadium are numerous and should be on another thread. :)

Love all the Arts and Crafts style lanterns as well as the beautiful chandeliers; paintings and stucco work. Shows what crafts we have now to keep the old workmanship in good condition and a foretaste of lovely places of worship we could have in the future.

I have passed the link around all my friends/famliy in England, even those who are not JW's.

I love Americans... you would never get a report like that here in france. We could buy the Eiffle tower, plate it in gold and send it to the moon and back, the media wouldn't say something positive about us. (loved the ragtime music too..)

thanks for the post

And I guess that is worst now that the european court ruled in our favor :)

In Portugal we have mixed news... In Christmas, Easter and at the beginning of our DC's there are always good TV reports about us... But if somebody dies at the hospital and he refused blood transfusions there is the opposite...

But I would say in general we have good news report and even good overall public opinion about us

Thanks for the pictures.

It is funny to see the new chairs with the OLD plates at the end. The place is beautiful.

I had been to a few annual meeting there - very nice. I am happy that they expanded the locations where the annual meeting can be heard.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Wow!! that is one elaborate place. I had seen pics long ago but not that many and in so much detail. Made me think what a chore the dusting would be in the theatre. I wonder how many people they need and how often to clean it?

I had to find the Youtube link for folk in UK as the given link to this news item didn't work for many of them.

What a coincidence though when last night on our UK's  BBC4 channel they showed a documentary of the life of Frank Sinatra and he sang at the Stanley Theatre a few times in his career, so they showed the front of the theatre with Our sign as well as the old name of the Stanley Theatre visible and quite a few in the congregation had just seen it's sumptuous restored interior on this video.