JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This is where the magic happens...

I love the open floor plan but I hate electric cooking.  Would love to convert to gas cooking but we are so rural there is no gas service--would have to replumb and lay lines and install a propane tank.  Too expensive.  I use to have a closed off kitchen and that's how it made me feel--closed off.  Now, if we entertain people can sit in the living room and around the bar and in the kitchen and dining room and I feel apart of the good times.  I feel the kitchen is heart of the home and so many fond memories are made there.

post-717-0-33027000-1372009124_thumb.jpg

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Tim--you got a deal!  We sampled the Blackberry Cobbler Moonshine and Peach Dumpling Moonshine yesterday at work.  It was FANTASTIC!  Truly tasted like a very rich blackberry cobbler.  Topped it off with a dollop of heavy whipping cream and a spring of mint!  No alcohol taste to ruin the Shine!

LeslieDean

Tim--you got a deal!  We sampled the Blackberry Cobbler Moonshine and Peach Dumpling Moonshine yesterday at work.  It was FANTASTIC!  Truly tasted like a very rich blackberry cobbler.  Topped it off with a dollop of heavy whipping cream and a spring of mint!  No alcohol taste to ruin the Shine!

Moonshine?  What moonshine?!  ;)

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

This is just gorgeous Leslie, it looks so very warm and inviting, and I can envision you buzzing around in there making stuff, me.....I'd be at one of those stools trying to stay out of your way babbling on a mile a minute LOL!!!

I only have one question though, has your hubby ever whacked his head on the shelving (?) over top the counter area where the chairs are? LOL  I looked at that and thought, boy would you have to make sure you kept the cupboard doors shut.  I'd stand up and get knocked out!!!!  

Just beautiful though, thanks for sharing!

The color (warm Orange)  alone in the kitchen makes me think of yummy foods.

The lighting and seating is super.

What a neat space, thanks for showing us. 

Now I can see where all the wonderful food that you've been sending pictures of  is made.

Amazingly cool!

This is just gorgeous Leslie, it looks so very warm and inviting, and I can envision you buzzing around in there making stuff, me.....I'd be at one of those stools trying to stay out of your way babbling on a mile a minute LOL!!!

I only have one question though, has your hubby ever whacked his head on the shelving (?) over top the counter area where the chairs are? LOL  I looked at that and thought, boy would you have to make sure you kept the cupboard doors shut.  I'd stand up and get knocked out!!!!  

Just beautiful though, thanks for sharing!

Hey Sharon---Rick has never hit his head on the shelving.LOL.  That is actually the exhaust fan over the electric cook top that you see hanging down.  Si, it is a good ways back from the edge of the counter and up very tall.  The ceiling are high 16 ft in the living room and 12 foot in the kitchen and dining room so it is alot taller than appears.  The lightening is all recessed so every time you need to change a light you have to drag a ladder out.  I will post some more pics of a different view of the cook area/exhaust fan angel where you can see how it ties in with the living area.

LeslieDean

Sharon I would love to have you sitting on one of those stools keeping me entertained with the likes of your fabulous mind!  I would like to get to know you as well as all the friends here so well that we knew the tiny detials of how each other ticks...awesome!!!  Let's talk about what you would like to eat--your favorite meal that I could prepare--while you sit and sip on a mason jar of my peach dumpling moonshine I just prepared!  Will you actually get smarter as you talk or will I get smarter as I listen?

LeslieDean

The color (warm Orange)  alone in the kitchen makes me think of yummy foods.

The lighting and seating is super.

What a neat space, thanks for showing us. 

Now I can see where all the wonderful food that you've been sending pictures of  is made.

Amazingly cool!

The actual colors for our living area/kitchen is a very warm yellow with a burgundy accent wall in the living room.  It is so cool though because as the sun works its way across the sky the colors in the kitchen, dining room and living room change with the amount of sunlight reflected.  Even the time of day the colors will change if the skys are overcast or raining.  That's what is so great about the color scheme we have.  It changes without you actually having to do anything!

LeslieDean

Sharon I would love to have you sitting on one of those stools keeping me entertained with the likes of your fabulous mind!  I would like to get to know you as well as all the friends here so well that we knew the tiny detials of how each other ticks...awesome!!!  Let's talk about what you would like to eat--your favorite meal that I could prepare--while you sit and sip on a mason jar of my peach dumpling moonshine I just prepared!  Will you actually get smarter as you talk or will I get smarter as I listen?

Leslie, I will pretty much take anything, as long as it doesn't contain either beets or okra.  ;)

Julsey--I could fix you beets you would like I am sure!  Okra--that is harder for alot of people because of the slime factor.  Do you not even like it fried with onions and jalapenos?

LeslieDean

Julsey--I could fix you beets you would like I am sure!  Okra--that is harder for alot of people because of the slime factor.  Do you not even like it fried with onions and jalapenos?

You know, Leslie, I have had it fried, and I can eat it that way...if I have to, lol.  Beets - I can't think of anything that would take that...earthy taste away!  But I'm all ears, if you have an idea!  :)

Julsey

try this very simple one to start.  Take a can of whole, or sliced beets and put them in a small pot.  Add 1/2 c of brown sugar and a couple T of butter.  Heat till hot.  Then take 1 T of corn starch and mix it well with 2 T of water.  Then stir it into your beets.  This is Harvard Beets.  I don't see how anyone can not like them.  Especially served with roast beef, mashed garlic potatoes and roasted carrots.

The next one is roasted beets.  

• 2 pounds red beets, medium sized, scrubbed clean, green tops removed
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 C brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Clean the beets well and cut off the ends/tips.  Place them in a bowl and drizzel with olive oil and shake till they are lightly covered.  Pour out onto a oiled cookie sheet and roast at 375 degrees in the oven till they can be easily pricked with a fork--at least 45mins then start checking.  Make your glaze and simmer till it thickens. Pour over beets and serve.  YUM!
  •  

LeslieDean

where do i find that? it sounds amazing

Julsey

try this very simple one to start.  Take a can of whole, or sliced beets and put them in a small pot.  Add 1/2 c of brown sugar and a couple T of butter.  Heat till hot.  Then take 1 T of corn starch and mix it well with 2 T of water.  Then stir it into your beets.  This is Harvard Beets.  I don't see how anyone can not like them.  Especially served with roast beef, mashed garlic potatoes and roasted carrots.

• Olive oil
  • Salt
  • 1/4 C brown sugar
  • Clean the beets well and cut off the ends/tips.  Place them in a bowl and drizzel with olive oil and shake till they are lightly covered.  Pour out onto a oiled cookie sheet and roast at 375 degrees in the oven till they can be easily pricked with a fork--at least 45mins then start checking.  Make your glaze and simmer till it thickens. Pour over beets and serve.  YUM!
  •  

OK, Leslie!  I'll take your word and try one of these!  Will let you know what happens!  :)

Julsey

• Olive oil
  • Salt
  • 1/4 C brown sugar
  •  

OK, Leslie!  I'll take your word and try one of these!  Will let you know what happens!  :)

Aw ya wouldn't be prepping the meal for me!!  (Unless you wanted to, and in that case I would say WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO FREE FOOD!)  I like most foods, am allergic to shellfish.  Besides if someone is willing to cook for me, I wouldn't say one word of complaint!   (p.s.  I eat beets --- don't tell Jules  :secret: )  

I'd even help cut up stuff.  When I'm cooking for just me, I tend to be heavy on the veggies and light on the meat......for instance I make this:

1 Can Beef Consomme

1 tbsp Soy Sauce

1 tsp Brown Sugar

Veggie Mix

Broccoli

Carrots

Cauliflower

Snow Peas

Bean Sprouts

Cabbage (Red) 

Meeeeeat 

Some sort of either stewing beef (which I cut into smaller pieces) or if I'm lazy I buy the pre-cut stuff.  

Obviously you cook the meat first, throw in the veggies, top with the sauce, and 'steam'.  I have a wok like frying pan with a see through lid, so I can see the vegetables.....when the broccoli looks neon green, I serve it up LOL!  

It's pretty simple, but really tasty.  

Whats your favorite dish?  

p.s. You may get dumber by the minute, I have days where my IQ is the same as pocket lint (and I'm not kidding) LOL :blink: